Best driving route from Dublin to Letterkenny?

DrMoriarty

G'day all, quick question for you if I may — which is the better (as in easier, quicker, less tiring) route to drive from Dublin to Letterkenny?
Leaving Dublin in the early afternoon.

Navan/Cavan/Enniskillen/Omagh/Letterkenny?
...or...
Ashbourne/Carrickmacross/Monaghan/Omagh/Letterkenny?
...or...
Drogheda/Ardee/Carrickmacross/Monaghan/Omagh/Letterkenny?

At a guess, the last one - more straightforward - not necessarily the quickest, but it's the route I would choose.

There may not be an awful lot to distinguish the 3 though.

At a guess, the last one - more straightforward - not necessarily the quickest, but it's the route I would choose.

There may not be an awful lot to distinguish the 3 though.

Last one is most straight forward. Take M1 to slip road for Ardee. You won't actually go to Drogheda.

Thanks, guys. I'll already have driven from Limerick that morning, so am keen to minimise the 'frazzle factor'!

im from l/kenny, live in dub so reg do the journey - - 2nd option is probably the best

Would you not find the roads from ashbourne to Ardee a little more difficult to drive than the M1. From Ashbourne to Ardee you need to concentrate a little harder. If the OP is coming from Limerick the M1 might be easier and there is little in the distance on the two routes?

Would you not find the roads from ashbourne to Ardee a little more difficult to drive than the M1. From Ashbourne to Ardee you need to concentrate a little harder. If the OP is coming from Limerick the M1 might be easier and there is little in the distance on the two routes?

Not at all - - the opposite actually - especially if you can avoid the hours between 5:30pm - 7:00pm
The route suggested is a far more pleasant drive.
Myself and friends initially used the M1 when it opened but have all returned to using Ashbourne route instead.

3rd option best and quickest. Briancbyrne's option is more "scenic" but not as efficient time-wise. The M1 option means that the first town (traffic lights) you go through after leaving Dublin is Omagh, which is part-bypassed. The slowest part of the journey is through the North. Time was this was the quickest!:)

Navan/Cavan/Enniskillen/Omagh/Letterkenny?

Certainly not this one - those lovely, cuddly "save Tara" folks have ensured that the N3 is the worst and most dangerous national primary route in Ireland, about 15 years behind almost all the rest.

3rd option best and quickest. Briancbyrne's option is more "scenic" but not as efficient time-wise. The M1 option means that the first town (traffic lights) you go through after leaving Dublin is Omagh, which is part-bypassed. The slowest part of the journey is through the North. Time was this was the quickest!:)

Thats what I was thinking. I would always use the M1 over the Ashbourne route going in this general direction

Back