Dublin Bay South Election - Voting.

sorry and you often post about it on hear, I don't think the shinners will ever get in, and if they ever do they will not be allowed to do half the damage FF and FG and Labour and the greens have done so far,
I had a look at some of the posting in the past on this site you would think SF was running this country for the past 25 years,

James might be The next National Treasure if he does not make it this time,
he is still in the contest not gone yet,

34% Turnout?! :oops:

I duly declare 'Apathy' as the elected representative for Dublin Bay South with a landslide victory.
Apathy is a best case for a Government in power at a bi-election. Mind you careless to let Bacik slip through. Bad call by Leo. Should be a flatterer of protest candidates - SF must be v disappointed.

Even the Irish Times is now criticising the Irish Times for that article. I would say that the other Irish Times journalists are furious at it. It damages the reputation of all of them.

For Geoghegan, it was not for the lack of trying. During the course of the campaign he also endured personalised attacks on social media and from media columnists, which other candidates were spared.

Apathy is a best case for a Government in power at a bi-election. Mind you careless to let Bacik slip through. Bad call by Leo. Should be a flatterer of protest candidates - SF must be v disappointed.

Fair point. The protest vote went to Labour. Great day for them. SF vote dropped a small bit, so by any reasoning as the main opposition party a poor day.
Pity, as I think Boylan is a decent candidate.

Ivana Bacik has been elected in Dublin South. She amassed a total of 13,382 votes. Geoghegan finished with a total of 9,235 votes.

Previous updates:
The eighth count has seen the elimination of Green Party candidate Claire Byrne, and Sinn Féin candidate Lynn Boylan. Together, the two candidates have 8,222 votes, to be distributed between the final two candidates, Bacik and Geoghegan.
Bacik is currently on 9,474, and Geoghegan is on 8,265.

The 7th count has seen two candidates eliminated: Independent Mannix Flynn and Fianna Fáil’s Deirdre Conroy.
Their collective votes of 2,183 is hoped to speed the count along.
Ivana Bacik is on 8,851, with Geoghegan on 7,400.

Labour got 80% of Sinn Féin's and Green's transfers.

That is huge.

They split the transfers from the earlier candidates fairly evenly.

Brendan

I suspect the government parties will support the greens, interesting the greens transfers went to labor,

the present greens are skilled at kicking up just enough fuss in government to keep themselves apart
not like other small parties in government in the past,

Hilarious to see Jim O’Callaghan challenging the FF leadership yesterday.

Analagous to the captain of the Titanic demanding answers from the CEO of White Star Line.

Conroy was a terrible candidate, but the campaign, run by O’Callaghan(!), was lacklustre at best.

Analagous to the captain of the Titanic demanding answers from the CEO of White Star Line.

Conroy was a terrible candidate, but the campaign, run by O’Callaghan(!), was lacklustre at best.
Leo was around to congratulate Ivana
Michael Martin was in cork, Which speaks for itself,
FF have disintegrated
FG and the sod of turf Brigade still have a core vote The coalition governments they lead will be left of SF,
In other words, when you vote for FG you finish up getting a left-wing government with the FG support base paying the price,
nice arrangement since FG have taken over FF
You vote FG you finish up paying for everything,
Only an FG led Government can deliver policies left of SF,
FG after an election look left the far side of SF
I suspect SF look right judging by the last election, are happy to stay in opposition unless the get a party right of them,

I know FG supporters don't like to hear it said, they are like a frog in slowly boiling water,

Last edited:

I live in the constituency, had very few FF canvassing, FG were around all the time. Alan Kelly and Ruairi Quinn canvassed our street a few weeks back. I think Ivana's vote was very much a personal vote but it was so sizeable, albeit on a low turnout that she should be okay for General Election.
Looks like 1 FG, 1SF, 1LAB and then either green or FF for the last seat next time. Just wish I'd put a bet on Ivana when she was at 4/1.

I'm not a big fan of hers but she's certainly a very capable person and has a good history of public service, admittedly while getting a very good publicly funded salary. That said she never blew anyone up, or made excuses for people in her Party who did, so out of the populist left she's certainly the best option.

so out of the populist left she's certainly the best option.
Will you stop that
in the 2016 general election, FG got 51 seats 25.6%
FF got 44 seats 24.4%
They entered a confidence and supply agreement with 95 seats
What was top of their agreement to do away with water charges,
You say you are in favour of water charges and you vote for the parties who got rid of water charges,
when FG was in with labour before 2016
Alan Kelly the present leader of the labour party was Minister for the environment after Phil headed off to Europe and we know how that finished up,
Alen kelly stood his ground against the populist left FF and FG with 95 seats undermined him I paid my water rates, I got a flyer in the door from local FG telling me the good news I would be getting my money back
Joan Burton the last leader of the labour party was not afraid of the populist left when she was
minister,
Keep voting and supporting the parties who squander your tax year in year out,

the total left seats after the 2016 general election
Labour 7 seats with 6.6%
SF 23 seats with 13.8%
AAA PBP 6 seats with 4% same as FF got the other day,
Total left vote 36 seats

The party's according to you to the right with 95 seats done away water charges, remember FF agreed with the TROIKA to bring in water charges

Google Alan kelly proved right about the water charges,

In fact the day of the count I went into town for lunch sitting at a table was the people who man both FG and FF constituency offices in town talking about the election I joined them
Water rates came up Believe it or not both thought the water rates were done away with before the confidence and supply agreement,

they were blaming Labour and Paul Murphy, for a bet I got them to google Alan Kelly proved right about water rates, needless to say, I had a free lunch on them,

Last edited:
Back