Dublin Bay South Election - Voting.

Will you stop that
in the 2016 general election, FG got 51 seats 25.6%
FF got 44 seats 24.4%
They entered a confidence and supply agreement with 95 seats
What was top of their agreement to do away with water charges when FG was in with labour
Alan Kelly the present leader of the labour party was Minister for the environment after Phil headed off to Europe and we know how that finished up,
Alen kelly stood his ground against the populist left FF and FG with 95 seats undermined him I paid my water rates, I got a flyer in the door from local FG telling me the good news I would be getting my money back
Joan Burton the last leader of the labour party was not afraid of the populist left when she was minister,
the total left seats after the 2016 general election
Labour 7 seats with 6.6%
SF 23 seats with 13.8%
AAA PBP 6 seats with 4% same as FF got the other day,
Total left vote 36 seats

The party's according to you to the right with 95 seats done away water charges, remember FF agreed with the TROIKA to bring in water charges

Google Alan kelly proved right about the water charges,

In fact the day of the count I went into town for lunch sitting at a table was the people who man both FG and FF constituency offices in town talking about the election I joined them
Water rates came up Believe it or not both thought the water rates were done away with before the confidence and supply agreement,

they were blaming Labour and Paul Murphy, for a bet I got them to google Alan Kelly proved right about water rates, needless to say, I had a free lunch on them,
FF are just populist, traditionally centre left.
Labour are a bit further to the left and not as populist.
SF are a reincarnation of FF circa 1970, populist with a left-wing veneer.
FG are slightly less afraid of SF than FF are but they are all to the left of centre.

Personally I'm a bit of a leftie; I support a wealth tax, water charges and an overall increase in state spending. I'm not populist left though as I don't like taxing hard work, I don't agree with a "rights based society", I'm in favour of strong State regulation but against the State running things and above all else I despise Unions as they are a cancer within Irish society and the root cause of so much waste.
Therefore I vote for a left wing party which I think will do the least hard. For the last number of years that's been the party that keep Pascal running Finance.

Purple I know that well, I agree with most of what you post on here,
I am fed up supporting FG and FF only to be fleeced by,
I really love well paid FG/FF supporters who shut their eyes, Stop their ears, shut their mouths, and pay through the nose,;)
enjoy your evening and mind yourself,

Last edited:
Hilarious to see Jim O’Callaghan challenging the FF leadership yesterday.

Analagous to the captain of the Titanic demanding answers from the CEO of White Star Line.

Conroy was a terrible candidate, but the campaign, run by O’Callaghan(!), was lacklustre at best.
Fintan O'School was picking over the bones of Fianna Fail today in the Irish Times (only subscribers are good enough to be exposed to his wisdom).
I'd say he wrote the article with a smile on his face and may in fact have been aroused.

but the campaign, run by O’Callaghan(!), was lacklustre at best.

If you have leadership intentions, which O'Callaghan has sounded for some time, then there is method in the madness of running a poor campaign. A good performance for FF would only give Martins leadership a shot in the arm. Instead, the knives are out.

Looks like 1 FG, 1SF, 1LAB and then either green or FF
It was a very good day for Labour - they took 10x what the opinion polls say they are on nationally. Bacik should hold a seat next time.
It was a good day for SF - they didn't really want the seat but vote held up and they will hold a seat next time.
It was a good day for FG. They took their core vote and built recognition of the candidate who will take a seat next time.
It was an okay day for the Greens. The vote didn't collapse given they are the mudguard in an unpopular government.

It was a DISASTER for FF and as far as I can tell it is their worst ever showing in any election since 1932. On this kind of showing they will do even worse than their collapse in 2011.

FF polled not much more than Aontú which is a fringe party which you would not expect to gain any traction in well-heeled Dublin.

It was a very good day for Labour - they took 10x what the opinion polls say they are on nationally. Bacik should hold a seat next time.
It was a good day for SF - they didn't really want the seat but vote held up and they will hold a seat next time.
It was a good day for FG. They took their core vote and built recognition of the candidate who will take a seat next time.
It was an okay day for the Greens. The vote didn't collapse given they are the mudguard in an unpopular government.

It was a DISASTER for FF and as far as I can tell it is their worst ever showing in any election since 1932. On this kind of showing they will do even worse than their collapse in 2011.

FF polled not much more than Aontú which is a fringe party which you would not expect to gain any traction in well-heeled Dublin.
And the thing is, the headlines in the media were all about personnel for FF... who should lead.
Did anyone say maybe they need to look at their policies?

And the thing is, the headlines in the media were all about personnel for FF... who should lead.
Did anyone say maybe they need to look at their policies?
there is no copyright protection when it comes to political parties policies,
FG/SF has been stealing FF policies while Michael was telling us he did not agree with SF
policies that happen to be the same policies as FF sold by SF who happen to believe in them
I was talking to a former elected member of FF on the Dublin Bay South Election count day,
He runs the local FF office
He is a dye in the wool FF supporter who live on the border between two consistencies, SF got a seat in both constituencies knocking out both FF and FG sitting TDs
When I asked him what FF was going to do to reclaim the Dail seat he has no answers,

according to him FF and for that matter, FG are struggling to find a candidate to take back the seat from SF, he cannot see SF taking another seat but things will have to change big-time for FF or FG to win back a seat off SF at the next election,

Back