Drying clothes when it is bucketing rain

SarahMc

How are other people who do not have a dryer managing to get clothes dry at the moment?

In Winter, I dry clothes on a clothes horse in the hot press, but I don't have my heating on in Summer.

Are others going to the laundrette, or am I missing a trick here?

I thought most hotpresses housed the hot water tank so they were warm all year round. Ours is anyway. We also use a clothes horse in one of our warmer rooms overnight and hang stuff out in between showers (if we're lucky it ends up drier)

I use a dehumidifier which works very well. End up with a few litres of water when it runs for a few hours.

I bought a dryer as I got so sick of running in and out to the clothes line last year. Thought I'd never buy one as I'd feel guilty at the "waste" of electricity, but last summer did me in.

I dry mine on a clothes horse in one of my spare bedrooms but plan on buying a dryer in the winter to use as a backup incase I need drying done in a hurry.

I live in an apartment, no outdoor drying available anytime in the year, no hot press (there is a tank in a closet - but literally only an inch each side and above), so always just use clothes horse near radiator in spare room.

I just use a clothes horse all year round - near a radiator, but it's not on in summer, but clothes still seem to dry fairly quickly. Use tumble dryer for sheets/duvets/towels.

I have a rotary line and I put the parasol through the centre which keeps the rain off the clothes and allows them to dry, works really well and means I get some use from the parasol coz I don't need it to shelter from the sun!!

I have a rotary line and I put the parasol through the centre which keeps the rain off the clothes and allows them to dry, works really well and means I get some use from the parasol coz I don't need it to shelter from the sun!!

That is a great idea, I never would have thought of it myself.

Does that work?

Yep, I think the dehumidifier is fantastic. Works well in a small room with a clothes horse. There's also a "tent" option out there that you can put over dehumidifier and clothes horse, makes the whole lot look neat and more efficient.
By hanging damp clothes on radiators to dry they give off condensation and can cause damp in a room.
I also have a large greenhouse where we keep a clothes line. Works great in the winter when we're not growing anything.

Absolutely no help to you, but when I worked in Trinidad many houses were built on concrete columns so that the whole area was under cover. Generally when people could afford it they built the downstairs of the house after the first floor - always thought it was a great system!

Clothes horse and in the past before I had a drier used to go to the local laundrette with sheets , towels and jeans. It was worth it and not that expensive.

Yep, I think the dehumidifier is fantastic. Works well in a small room with a clothes horse. There's also a "tent" option out there that you can put over dehumidifier and clothes horse, makes the whole lot look neat and more efficient. .

I tried google to see the cover but can't find any images or info on where to buy a cover. I was wondering if you would know where I could see and maybe buy one?

Tks

Back