driving licence question

But I would imagine the point of carrying the licence is that you have a photo i.d. so the Guard has confirmation that the name you are giving him is correct.

Otherwise there's nothing to stop you saying "I'm Timmy O'Donnell and I'll drop my licence into Lisdoonvarna Garda Station next Tuesday".

To use the earlier example, if you're going on holidays you wouldn't expect U.S. Immigration to believe you when you tell them your name if you have no passport to back it up.

Or would you?

Re: driveing licence question

What is the penalty for not having it on you, apart from an upset Guard?
I would be worried about losing it.
Can you carry a photocopy?

How can you lose it if you just keep it in the glove compartment?

but it in this regard the law seems to be an ass........if you hold a current licence you should be allowed produce it at a garda station of your choice,the same as you can with your insurance cert. simple

To reduce queues at garda stations that are already overworked, wouldn't it be simpler to carry the document that the law says you should carry? Saves on double handling....

but it in this regard the law seems to be an ass........if you hold a current licence you should be allowed produce it at a garda station of your choice,the same as you can with your insurance cert. simple

As long as you have your insurance disc displayed and your tax disc (I'm sure you do) you will generally only be asked to prouce your certificate of insurance if you are involved in an accident.

I think the law is pretty clear...you need to have your driving licence on you when driving. Yes, in practice most guards will tell you to produce it at your local station if you're caught without it. But sometimes they will not and you'll end up with penalty points, and rightly so in my opinion. It's hardly a big ask to have your "driving permit" with you when you're driving.

To reduce queues at garda stations that are already overworked, wouldn't it be simpler to carry the document that the law says you should carry? Saves on double handling....
cant say i have ever seen any queues at my local station,or anyone overworked for that matter...but then i come from a small rural village,maybe there are queues in the bigger citys.

But when you've already admitted that you lied to the Gardai about having your licence with you, do you still think they should trust your word any more than they have to? Why should they believe that you'll bring the licence to the station? Or even that the name you are giving is correct?

Maybe you're better off getting rid of the temptation to, um, tell untruths, now that you're aware that having the licence is compulsary....

But when you've already admitted that you lied to the Gardai about having your licence with you, do you still think they should trust your word any more than they have to? Why should they believe that you'll bring the licence to the station? Or even that the name you are giving is correct

Why would anybody who holds a current licence not want produce at the the station?

Well, you didn't want to produce it to the guard when he stopped you at the side of the road - why would the location make any difference?

And sure, you've said you're afraid that the Guard who stopped you on the side of the road would use your details for nefarious reasons - but why couldn't the guard in the station do exactly the same?

One more thing: what are the details that you believe are on your licence that the Garda couldn't find out by putting your name and car licence number into their computer system? :confused:

i dont know........im just relating what i was told by a retired det seargent,and giving that he was in the force for over twenty five years i think he would know what he was talking about.

Erm.........perhaps your informant retired (at 60? 65?) prior to the police introducing palm-sized portable computers from which they can access and correlate all this information at the scene to establish that drivers are who they say they are?

Though I agree with your substantive point about the increasing inroads into personal information and feel checks and balances need to be introduced to protect individual freedom and privacy from bureaucratic scrutiny the world we live in is now permeated by information-technology. There is no going back, just the possibility of ensuring it is used sensibly and not oppressively.

marie....thats the point im trying to make,who knows what information they have on us,and when these new credit card type licences are brought in,tons personal of information can be stored on them .....scary!!!!

I think the law is pretty clear...you need to have your driving licence on you when driving. Yes, in practice most guards will tell you to produce it at your local station if you're caught without it. But sometimes they will not and you'll end up with penalty points, and rightly so in my opinion. It's hardly a big ask to have your "driving permit" with you when you're driving.

A friend of mine recently got fined for not having license with her when driving. She had valid license and did produce it at Garda station a couple of days later, but this did not stop her from being fined.

cant say i have ever seen any queues at my local station,or anyone overworked for that matter...but then i come from a small rural village,maybe there are queues in the bigger citys.

There are often queues at mine and yes I live in Dublin and its a busy suburban station, but back to my original point, if the law says you should carry it, then you should carry it and produce it when requested..its pretty painless and simple...

There are often queues at mine and yes I live in Dublin and its a busy suburban station, but back to my original point, if the law says you should carry it, then you should carry it and produce it when requested..its pretty painless and simple...
as i said before......not so painless and simple if you loose it off your person or someone steals your car....the old system of producing it at the station worked well for years and was safe,if something is not broken why fix it?

The Govt abandoned that plan 2yrs ago

Well, this is unfortunate, (although I am sure I seen something in the pipeline for 2015?) but the issue of using the credit-card style licences, is that the driver history (most important aspect from an insurance point of view) is that it is not listed. ie the UK one, Polish etc.

Back