driving licence question

as i said before......not so painless and simple if you loose it off your person or someone steals your car....the old system of producing it at the station worked well for years and was safe,if something is not broken why fix it?

How do you know the old system worked well for years? I'm sure there would be a reduction in unnecessary admin if everyone simply carried their licence. A reduction in administration means a reduction in costs......

Clearly it makes sense to carry it while you are driving, just as it makes sense to carry a passport while you are travelling. The law is the law.

In any case you had your licence with you but preferred to keep that a secret...I'm still kinda baffled as to why you would do that....

The amount of times I have been in Court and heard "I was supposed to produce it within 10 days but forgot...."

Well, this is unfortunate, (although I am sure I seen something in the pipeline for 2015?) but the issue of using the credit-card style licences, is that the driver history (most important aspect from an insurance point of view) is that it is not listed. ie the UK one, Polish etc.

The surprising thing is that in the UK people thought introduction of the 'two-part' licence - the paper form and the laminated, holographic photo-card - was that only the credit-card needed to be carried. As I said in an earlier post, I was asked at the roadside for my licence a couple of months ago and on producing the photo-card (which I always carry!) was told I was breaking the law by not being able to (also) produce the paper document.

The photocard has date of birth (and, of course, your image). The paper document does not carry any additional information.........apart from KEEP THIS SAFE emblazoned across the top ;)

Last edited:
How do you know the old system worked well for years? I'm sure there would be a reduction in unnecessary admin if everyone simply carried their licence. A reduction in administration means a reduction in costs......

Clearly it makes sense to carry it while you are driving, just as it makes sense to carry a passport while you are travelling. The law is the law.

In any case you had your licence with you but preferred to keep that a secret...I'm still kinda baffled as to why you would do that....
i have already said why i did that, but just to answer your comment about the" law is the law" just because something is the law it dosent mean its right or a good ida for that matter,most laws are brought in to suit a minority of people,while the majority just have put up with them.

I'd be very interested in some specific examples of such laws if you don't mind going to the trouble of posting them.
ok graham,let me use the topic we are on now as an example. given the option i would think that most people would prefare not to have to risk carrying an important document around on their person every day...or worse, left in their car, but someone or some group of people sat down one day and at the stroke of a pen decided that this was going to be the law.

ok graham,let me use the topic we are on now as an example. given the option i would think that most people would prefare not to have to risk carrying an important document around on their person every day...or worse, left in their car, but someone or some group of people sat down one day and at the stroke of a pen decided that this was going to be the law.

It's a driving license, to show that you are entitled to drive your car..... that is why it is important.

i would think that most people would prefare not to have to risk carrying an important document around on their person

I'm sorry but "your thinking" does not to me quite meet the definition of "the majority of people" as per your earlier post. I was rather expecting some proven case of a minority holding a rule of law over the majority as you had indicated.

But you had the licence with you???????????? And you didn't produce it??????? Were you not worried about loosing it that day or was that a 'special day' when you felt safer about it??:confused:

But you had the licence with you???????????? And you didn't produce it??????? Were you not worried about loosing it that day or was that a 'special day' when you felt safer about it??:confused:
lauren....i happened to have my licence on me that day as i was on my way to the bank to change a cheque,and intended to use my licence as ID.normally i dont risk carring it around with me.hope this cleares things up for you.

Why on earth would you have it on you and not give it to the Garda? Mine is left in my car all the time!

I keep mine in the car all the time too. Sometimes I'd run out of the house with only my keys on me so keeping it int he car is a better option. Besides, that way I always know where it is.
lauren....what if your car gets stolen???

The €5 fee for a duplicate licence would be the least of my worries if my car was stolen.

My thoughts exactly Satanta. Besides, if your car was stolen with your license inside and you reported both, I'm sure that there is a document that Garda will give you as a proof that you've reported your license.

This seems a little OTT.

It requires one form (which can be picked up in a Motor Tax Office or Garda station) to be stamped by a member of the Gardai and then returned to the Motor Tax Office with the €5 cost and two passport photos.

Compared to what is required for setting up a bank account or getting a parking permit (two utility bills, car re-registered in the local tax office with associated inquiry form, on the local register for voting, certificate of insurance with relevant address, letter from PRTB etc.) it seems fairly painless and straight forward. IMHO.

Exactly!

One more thing: what are the details that you believe are on your licence that the Garda couldn't find out by putting your name and car licence number into their computer system? :confused:

Besides, the codes OP is talking about are the ones to indicate whether you can drive only an automatic vehicle, do you need visual aids (glasses), etc. Your DL does not hold your mother's maiden name, amount of income tax you've paid and what you had for dinner the previous night.

I lived in several countries which do not have the tax and insurance disks in place. Instead you are obliged to present your DL, car registration and insurance cert if asked by the policeman. If you don't have your DL on you, you can be excluded from the traffic because you're unable to prove that you are competent and licensed to operate a motor vehicle. It was the norm and NOBODY had any problem with it.

Another piece of info on your licence is organ donor consent where you can tick a box if you wish to be an organ donor.

can we put this stupid post to bed getting boring now!!!
i agree with SNOWBALL,it is getting boring now,i have answered all the questions as best i can so i think we will wrap it up for now,i just want to say a thankyou to all those who took the time to comment.

Back