Drivers should have to resit their test every 5 years

We are all pointing the finger at each other. The minute the word "cyclist" is used in any post here, the more the drivers are in line with accusations and vice versa. It appears nothing will change this.

But, if we can offer some solutions to the mad driving/cycling/walking in Ireland perhaps we can look into our own minds? We have to start somewhere. Therefore, if we think more and use our roads more carefully by changing even one of our bad habits forever per week, then we are on the road to some kind of solution.

I don't think using indicators, staying out of yellow boxes, using correct lanes, not jumping red lights, driving within speed limits, being mindful on roundabouts, using common sense are too much to ask.

We are all pointing the finger at each other. The minute the word "cyclist" is used in any post here, the more the drivers are in line with accusations and vice versa. It appears nothing will change this.

Do you mean on this thread, or in general? Because I don't see any evidence of it on this thread, almost all the suggestions are very clear that it's the behaviour of all road users that needs addressing - what's being debated is whether that's by more enforcement\legal requirements or mindfulness.

The counter to the misuse of lights by cyclists & pedestrians is the drivers who ignore the law at pedestrian lights, which, paraphrased read like:

Red = Stop
Amber = Stop unless it is unsafe to do so
Green = Stop in case someone's coming through on red

Fixed that for you!

I am not sure that there should be a test at all.

It would be far better to put all those testers sitting near traffic lights and bus lanes, and just failing people who repeatedly break the law.

Most of us can learn enough to be good drivers. But then we choose to drive dangerously.

Brendan

That seems like a good idea. Say 6 penalty points means you have 6 months to resit a test or lose your license.
Plus a bit more enforcement on those that don't have a license or insurance. e.g. if you drive without either then your car is seized.

But to do something simple like that seems to be beyond us in Ireland. It'd never happen.

Most who break the rules know exactly what they are doing, and know they will get away with it.

They would not break the rules during a re test, so it would be pointless.

Enforcement of the rules of the road is the solution.

Most who break the rules know exactly what they are doing, and know they will get away with it.

I don't know the stats on that. I'm sure some people break the rules because they can. I'd also assume that many have gotten into bad habits that they're not aware of.

Would you not think that if somebody had 4 points on their license the threat of having to resit the test if they got caught again might mean they wouldn't break the rules again or at least be more careful. I'm driving 20 years. I'd pass the test again if I had to do it but the hassle and time taken to do it would be the disincentive. Having to pay for the tests and take the time off work are enough of a disincentive for me. If I got 4 points I'd be very careful.

But as to your second point, most people don't get to 4 or 6 points because there's little to no enforcement. About the only time you'll get caught for something is on some straight safe dual carriageway with a 60Km speed limit and a van taking photographs.

Amen to that!

Would you not think that if somebody had 4 points on their license the threat of having to resit the test if they got caught again might mean they wouldn't break the rules again

I agree, the routinely re sitting the test been pointless comment was made in response to the tread title; should drivers have to resit the test after a few years.

Last edited:
Sitting the test every 5 years assumes firstly that the test is fit for purpose which I don't believe it is. It doesn't cover nighttime driving (when most accidents seem to happen) or motorway driving.

To me, the first thing is that the test should be completely revamped, perhaps with 2 tests, an interim licence which excludes motorways and then a second licence/test to say you can drive on motorways
Secondly, it should be mandatory to resit your test as part of getting your licence back and if you fail, you don't get it back until you have passed
Thirdly, perhaps consider a mandatory retest if you get a certain amount of points but have not reached the ban threshold in advance of being put off the road.

In effect, target the people who have proven they cannot drive appropriately

It doesn't cover nighttime driving (when most accidents seem to happen) or motorway driving.
Or drunk driving, or driving at speed while drunk. Jasus, sure it doesn't even cover driving while eating a sang-wich or drinking a coffee or even while roaring at the kids to SHUT THE HELL UP or I'll F-ING KILL YE!!!. Those are the times I feel my driving is most compromised.

We don't need another test! We just need the rules as they are enforced ( and these rules are fine) and those who break them penalised. There is no need for everyone to be treated as if we all break the rules - we don't!

....Plus a bit more enforcement on those that don't have a license or insurance. e.g. if you drive without either then your car is seized.

"A bit" more enforcement, that's being far too nice about it.

I'd like to see cars seized as a starting point, but also see the punishment taken a lot further.

Sadly, it seems to me that when all is said and done, this country works on the basis that 80% - 90% of the population are decent, fairly law abiding citizens who are easy to keep in line with just the odd slap on the hand (such as an €80 fine and 3 points on your license etc.). Once there's no significant change in the population from this level of law abiding people, then the country's great ....when in truth.... it's far from great, because the remaining small percentage of the population can do just about any bloomin' thing they want and get away with it (even if that entails the minor inconvenience of going to court and being found guilty for the 77th time, sentenced to 3 years in prison but then getting the sentence suspended, or going to the front door of a prison only to be set free because there's no room at the inn).

For all the hot wind that comes out of our current quasi-right wing government, they've done little to put things right to date.

Back