Drivers should have to resit their test every 5 years

Purple

Should motorists have to re-sit their test every few years?
I think we should have to re-sit every 5 years. What do others think?

How would that have helped prevent the scenario outlined in this thread?

How would that have helped prevent the scenario outlined in this thread?
It wouldn't but the discussion has broadened out.
There is a general lack of skill out there, from using roundabouts to lane changing to indicating to general awareness. Confining the discussion to cyclist behavior doesn't address the topic fully.

Somebody somewhere is probably thinking.....how about a multiple choice exam as part of the NCT?....

I am not sure that there should be a test at all.

It would be far better to put all those testers sitting near traffic lights and bus lanes, and just failing people who repeatedly break the law.

Most of us can learn enough to be good drivers. But then we choose to drive dangerously.

Brendan

There is a general lack of skill out there, from using roundabouts to lane changing to indicating to general awareness. Confining the discussion to cyclist behavior doesn't address the topic fully.

I think that driving retest wouldn't address the topic fully either, given that in the cyclist without lights scenario it wouldn't have prevented the accident?
Nor would it do anything for the drivers who seem happy to be driving without tax, NCT, insurance or licence.
The driving test that I sat would not help a jot with how to use the horrendously designed roundabouts foisted on us.

In the scenario which started the thread, what should have happened is that the Gardai should have ideally come to the scene, but certainly should have charged any party who committed a road traffic violation with an offence - in this case, that's the cyclist.
In other cases, it will be the driver.

I think anything which doesn't involve more policing and more jailtime is not a real solution, though better road layout and signage would certainly help with some of the most common triggers to help 'guide' drivers though more smoothly. In other countries there are very big signs "Left Lane Must Turn Left" which is visible way before you approach to junction so you can get in the correct lane. In Ireland there's a lot of junctions and roundabouts you approach and it's only when you are almost on them that you realise what lane you should be in.

Last edited:
I think your point of using the money required to do the logistics of a resit would be better spent on a traffic only police/wardens where tickets can be issued on sight for idiot driving is a much better idea.

Surely that should be addressed when doing the test for the first time??

* People who think the outside lane on a motorway is for cruising really get on my nerves. If they did that on a European motorway, they'd be run off the road.:mad:

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

I'd like to expand on my suggestion in the "Swiss speeding fine" thread.

In Oz/NZ, punishment for motoring offences is implemented at the point of detection, including fines, suspension of licence, confiscation of vehicle and/or summons to appear if the punishment involves incarceration (for repeat offenders) Train special traffic police/wardens and make fines huge like Oz/NZ (hundreds of dollars). Use the cash from the new fines to improve signage, which I admit id very poor in places. This crazy idea of painting directions at junctions ON THE RAOADWAY is insane! The first lorry sees the directions, stops and then no-one following can see under the lorry, even as they shuffle forward.

Should be a test for cyclists and pedestrians at traffic lights. Seriously though, it's ridiculous the disregard there is among this category for traffic lights. I'm really sorry for the very few who do pay heed, but they're an awful small minority.

Should be a test for cyclists and pedestrians at traffic lights. Seriously though, it's ridiculous the disregard there is among this category for traffic lights. I'm really sorry for the very few who do pay heed, but they're an awful small minority.
I stop at a set of lights, when they are red, when cycling into work. In 2 years I haven't seen one other cyclist stopping.

The counter to the misuse of lights by cyclists & pedestrians is the drivers who ignore the law at pedestrian lights, which, paraphrased read like:

Red = Stop
Amber = Stop unless it is unsafe to do so
Green = Proceed with caution

Daily I see them used by motorists as follows:

Red = Drive on if there' no one actually standing on the crossing
Amber = Drive on anyway
Green = Accelerate in case the lights go to Amber / Red

I think we should have to re-sit every 5 weeks. Or maybe every 5 days. The roads would be empty and the volume of accidents would plummet.

Just talking money here.
€55 renewal fee every 10 years is enough wasted money.
I don't even want to imagine how much a re-sit would cost.

Hello,

I do not support the concept of having to resit a test every 5-years, but I do think the idea of doing something similar to CPD hours every year would be a good idea to remind people about the basics of safe driving, the rules of the road etc. That might include a couple of hour long sessions out in a car with an observer or assessor, along with some online theory sessions.

I also support the concept of putting traffic wardens (with extended powers) out on the roads, to deal with traffic violations. It frustrates me a lot to see the Gardai's time being wasted handing out tickets for minor offense that could be dealt with by other parties, leaving the Gardai to protect us against more serious crimes.

All of the above would also be conditional on rules being brought in and enforced for cyclists by the way, as the are also making use of the same road space, the same legislation etc. and also, are a danger to others, just like a bad motorist.

I agree with Mr Earl there with Gardaí wasting important time dishing out parking tickets. Our bad driving, cycling, walking habits need to be tackled though and if more law enforcement occured with heavy fines for transgressors perhaps our road user habits would be improved?

But, I suppose it is too much to ask as we all think we are perfect motorists, cyclists etc.

Back