Drafty double glazed windows

Stitcher

I got new doubled glazed windows installed in 2006, so 16 years ago. The builder sourced them. Over the years the seals around the windows that open have become quite leaky and cold drafts enter which whistle a bit when it's very windy!.

I am wondering does this happen with all double glazed windows that open? And can this be repaired? or are they just poor quality and should be replaced?

Thanks.

It's doesn't automatically happen with age, my double glazed windows are 30 yrs old, convinced that the seals should be failing at this stage with all I read I got out a guy from window company to check them. He replaced a couple and some of the hinges which were kind of broken so window not sealing properly when shut which was causing a bit of a draught rather than the seal itself.

I'd check could they be repaired first before going straight to replace, now granted not all windows were good quality day one, I'm only recently realising what a good architect/builder I had way back when as the spec of most things in my house seems to be a lot better than most stuff of it's age and certainly of some newer builds!

Thanks so much, Montbretia, for that advice, exactly what I wanted to hear. Who did you get to call out?

I think the patio doors might need to be replaced as I see daylight at the top of one door so I think there is an elementof poor quality too. But I'd be happier replacing the opening-window parts rather than the whole windows!.

Thanks so much, Montbretia, for that advice, exactly what I wanted to hear. Who did you get to call out?

I think the patio doors might need to be replaced as I see daylight at the top of one door so I think there is an elementof poor quality too. But I'd be happier replacing the opening-window parts rather than the whole windows!.
I'm in kerry so my guy probably not much use to you

Hi is guy that covers north Kerry that I have used. He replaced some hinges and seals for me windows were as good a new. 087 – 804 0524 William

Have checked on line for above company, who are near me, and also see there are a number of window repair people so delighted that I can explore that route rather than new windows. Thanks all for your help.

(Montbretia, reckon Kerry is just a tad far away! )

The above company have come and done a full window and door inspection for me. They cover quite a few counties, inc, Dublin and Galway and are excellent. Good thing about the inspection; it is free of charge, there's no big sell to you, get as little or as much as you want. They do the seals, (far superior to anything on the market) hinges, (stronger than available elsewhere), door locks, french door problems, timber door problems, eg, warping and draughts. I got the full job, 27 windows, 2 french doors, 1 front door (timber). Had to change 2 full locks, one on the front door and one on a double french door. I really cannot believe the difference in the house, the silence and heat retention are the 2 big ones. I'm upgrading the insulation at the moment and hard to believe the grant doesn't take into account any of this draughtproofing work. I would highly recommend these guys and I have no connection to them whatsoever.

I'm in this situation currently, would anyone have used or could recommend someone in the cork city area? tks.

Just to say I got a quote for repairs to 6 windows and two patio doors from Ardleigh above for around €700, and am awaiting a date for the job in a few weeks. Will report back when the job is done.

Reactions: Leo
Did you get anywhere with Ardleigh . That number goes dead and the website isn't responding.

I am in regular contact and we are firming up on a date to do the work in the coming weeks.

Reporting back on the work on my windows and patio doors. All were repaired and now there are no draughts, and they all open like a dream, and he also repaired the front door which was sticking a bit 'because it annoyed him going in and out to his van'. Great job done in a few hours.
I will try to upload their contact details as he said their website doesn't work.

I have recently had one of the top three companies replacing doors in my home and I can tell you that their customer service leaves a lot to be desired. Very expensive job and poor follow through with problems.

Sorry I bothered but the job needed doing.

I was certainly made to feel that I was disturbing their day when I had to contact them.

Also, have all your questions ready to go and go into detail about handles, locks, sills, saddles etc.

Make sure you get a first-hand recommendation from someone.

I was certainly made to feel that I was disturbing their day when I had to contact them.
Similar problem with me. I cannot get anyone from the company I was dealing with to sort out a problem of their making. At the time of purchase, I could hear my instinct telling me to walk away from the salesman. This person had no manner whatsoever. Unfortunately, I liked the product that the company was supplying and decided to put up with this guy's petulance. Big mistake. Looks like solicitors for me.

The above company have come and done a full window and door inspection for me. They cover quite a few counties, inc, Dublin and Galway and are excellent. Good thing about the inspection; it is free of charge, there's no big sell to you, get as little or as much as you want. They do the seals, (far superior to anything on the market) hinges, (stronger than available elsewhere), door locks, french door problems, timber door problems, eg, warping and draughts. I got the full job, 27 windows, 2 french doors, 1 front door (timber). Had to change 2 full locks, one on the front door and one on a double french door. I really cannot believe the difference in the house, the silence and heat retention are the 2 big ones. I'm upgrading the insulation at the moment and hard to believe the grant doesn't take into account any of this draughtproofing work. I would highly recommend these guys and I have no connection to them whatsoever.
@noproblem

Do you know whether WindowsRepairsMayo will travel to Galway?

On their website, it mentions a Galway landline number.

That landline number leads me to this website:

Which may be a sister firm?

Back