Downsizing. Has anyone done this and any regrets?

Minimum size for apartments was brought up to 55m2 for 1 beds just before the bust. It was reduced to 45m2 around 2015 but the minimum room sizes under ministerial guidelines were not changed meaning for practical purposes most new 1 bed apartments need to be around 50m2 to fit in minimum room sizes.

Yes you can find sub 40m2 1 beds but they are few and far between and most urban development plans since 2008 voted in even higher minimum standards with the result that most apartments built since then are enormous and unaffordable. Plus many dev plans stipulate strict limits on the percentage of 1 beds so they are also rare as well as expensive.
To be clear - I am talking about a very specific cohort - wealthy older people with large (250/300+ m2 detached houses in areas like South Dublin). A 50m2 apartment is more than adequate for most younger people but not for the cohort described above. IMO we need to build a certain amount of much larger apartments (say 100-120m2) to give these people a real viable alternative to the large family home they cherished for many years.

Edited to note: these larger apartments also need to be built in the same area that people are selling their detached houses, not some Floridian hellscape “retirement community” the other side of the M50.

Interesting topic. Interesting trends apparent in terms of absolute appetite to downsize if something suitable arises.

Gardens and the risk of moving into an apartment or semi/terrace and having neighbours who disturb you is a theme coming out. Both are so far blockers for my parents.

Part of the issue is we don't really respect either concern in our housing strategy.

There are large numbers of people trapped in large houses, houses young families and couples starting out would benefit from, especially with some of the current energy and refurbishment grants for the properties that need a refresh.

A strategy to support downsizing would see estates with bungalows and gardens. Instead houses are densely packed into land, separated by gaps barely big enough to fit a bin, and with gardens the size of postage stamps.

Property A rated, easy to manage, with some basic privacy would be attractive to many older people, freeing up larger properties for families, who in turn free up their starter apartment or smaller house.

Other countries do have "retirement" focused projects, some even where the properties can not be bought by those below retirement age.

The churn such initiatives create won't fix any housing crisis, but it does get people into the right type of housing, which is part of a functional system and functional flow.

Instead people are trapped, plodding along, knowing someday big repair or renovation bills will start on their large house which they don't actually need.

Instead houses are densely packed into land, separated by gaps barely big enough to fit a bin, and with gardens the size of postage stamps.
I looked at a very nice house in a new development near Mount Merrion. If we sold our house and bought the new one we would end up with a couple of hundred thousand in the bank after the move. Yet, when I look at the outside space that I have now, lots of room to park visitors cars in my existing driveway, a good garage for lots of stuff and on a quiet road I didn't think that €200k would make me want to move. If we wanted a south facing back garden in this new development, the cost was €50k. Other than that, the choice was a north facing back garden.
The garden in the new house was about half of what I have at the moment....I could live with that but not a north facing garden.

I recognise, that I am a privileged person and am grateful for everything that I have but I also recognise that this brings with it a type of laziness, complacency etc. Stuff that I did automatically 30 years ago, now requires hours of deliberation, there is a sense of self doubt, even fear at the thoughts of change.

I seem to be making excuses for not doing stuff instead of just doing it. I am following in my parents footsteps. They could have moved, should have moved..... but didn't. They ended up with a house that was much too big for them and couldn't manage.

I admire people who are not tied to living in the past and letting go of the familiar and keep moving forward.

It’s a tricky one. Yes, it could be argued that there’s an element of bravery to moving. But, equally, there are barriers. When you’re young, moving and/or renovating are stressful. That must be amplified when you’re older. Subject to affordability, there’s a lot to be said for getting-in help. A cleaner, a gardener, a handy-man. I like gardening as a form of stress relief and I think that down the line I’d find it tricky to leave nice things that I’m planting and cultivating now. There is also the issue of living in an apartment. It’s a massive leap (and gamble) to move from your own house to an apartment complex.

I looked at a very nice house in a new development near Mount Merrion. If we sold our house and bought the new one we would end up with a couple of hundred thousand in the bank after the move. Yet, when I look at the outside space that I have now, lots of room to park visitors cars in my existing driveway, a good garage for lots of stuff and on a quiet road I didn't think that €200k would make me want to move. If we wanted a south facing back garden in this new development, the cost was €50k. Other than that, the choice was a north facing back garden.
The garden in the new house was about half of what I have at the moment....I could live with that but not a north facing garden.

I recognise, that I am a privileged person and am grateful for everything that I have but I also recognise that this brings with it a type of laziness, complacency etc. Stuff that I did automatically 30 years ago, now requires hours of deliberation, there is a sense of self doubt, even fear at the thoughts of change.

I seem to be making excuses for not doing stuff instead of just doing it. I am following in my parents footsteps. They could have moved, should have moved..... but didn't. They ended up with a house that was much too big for them and couldn't manage.

I admire people who are not tied to living in the past and letting go of the familiar and keep moving forward.
Whatever you do dont take a house with a small North Facing garden.

It comes down to whether you need the things that you feel are better in your own house? Do you need lots of outside space? do you need lots of room for visitors parking and why are you storing lots of stuff?

what benefits are there to the new house? presume its warmer? is it better laid out?

To be clear - I am talking about a very specific cohort - wealthy older people with large (250/300+ m2 detached houses in areas like South Dublin). A 50m2 apartment is more than adequate for most younger people but not for the cohort described above. IMO we need to build a certain amount of much larger apartments (say 100-120m2) to give these people a real viable alternative to the large family home they cherished for many years.

Edited to note: these larger apartments also need to be built in the same area that people are selling their detached houses, not some Floridian hellscape “retirement community” the other side of the M50.
you make it out like there arent apartments like this available? i lived in one (very comfortably i might add) for 10 years in blackrock in my 20s, mostly surrounded by local retirees.

you make it out like there arent apartments like this available? i lived in one (very comfortably i might add) for 10 years in blackrock in my 20s, mostly surrounded by local retirees.
I never said that they don’t exist - my initial post was about how my parents live in one! By my count there are currently 13 units of this size available in south Dublin but they are typically penthouses in large blocks which isn’t ideal. I’d say there are far more than 13 potential downsizers in the area. All I’m saying is that there should be more of this “class” of apartment built as part of any strategic development plan.

I note the predominance of large three storied houses nowadays in new builds which means more stairs. These are being build on what would have previously been the same footprint as small townhouses.... and the tiny gardens become even more over shadowed by the surrounding buildings. As a keen gardener I would hate to see someone else take over my gardenover and neglect/remove what has taken me over 40 years to develop. I dont think I have enough years left or physical stamina to deal with a new plot.

What is missing here are those complexes in UK and other countries that are build for the over 50's with some onsite caretaker and extra communal facilities such as a general meeting room or even accommodation for visitors.

I note the predominance of large three storied houses nowadays in new builds which means more stairs. These are being build on what would have previously been the same footprint as small townhouses.... and the tiny gardens become even more over shadowed by the surrounding buildings. As a keen gardener I would hate to see someone else take over my gardenover and neglect/remove what has taken me over 40 years to develop. I dont think I have enough years left or physical stamina to deal with a new plot.

What is missing here are those complexes in UK and other countries that are build for the over 50's with some onsite caretaker and extra communal facilities such as a general meeting room or even accommodation for visitors.
Are you not describing modern apartment complexes with concierges and communal facilities?

Over 50s?!

Sorry, what?!

Why the reaction? I thought over 50 was a usual age bar for those sort of places. Sorry just checked.... Uk one I know of is over 60 and Australia and Florida stipulate over 55's. I suppose a sign of times with later marriages and children staying longer in a family home that older folk are not 'free'to downsize til older. I do not know of any Dublin apartment scheme with a concierge as per the French model. I did see Dublin one with decent 'facilities' and there is the the Mespil complex with a swimming pool.

Why the reaction? I thought over 50 was a usual age bar for those sort of places. Sorry just checked.... Uk one I know of is over 60 and Australia and Florida stipulate over 55's. I suppose a sign of times with later marriages and children staying longer in a family home that older folk are not 'free'to downsize til older. I do not know of any Dublin apartment scheme with a concierge as per the French model. I did see Dublin one with decent 'facilities' and there is the the Mespil complex with a swimming pool.
the grange has a concierge as does lansdowne place, im sure there lots of others.

Because 50 is young these days.

I’d go as far to say that 50 is the new 40.

the grange has a concierge as does lansdowne place, im sure there lots of others.

A downsize in size but not price!

I lived in the US for a while and lived in a serviced rental building. I used to joke it was assisted living for young people.

It was great, a build to rent building lots of shared facilities (pool, BBQs, gym, roof terrace etc). The building had an events manager and they'd organise events like wine tasting, super bowl parties etc. There was a wide age range of people living there and lots of interesting characters, we made some life long friends.

There are a couple schemes in Dublin and there is a retirement build to rent scheme seeking pp in BlackRock Rugby club. There are lots of positives to it, but there does appear to be a collective negative opinion of build to rent.

This topic is back on the agenda in our home. Maybe it's the fact that winter is approaching.

Our home is a summer home. Lovely place to be on a warm sunny day with nice garden. Now facing in to the garden being "out there" and us in doors for the next 6 months. Extra clothing, hot water bottles, failing to heat a cold house.

Looking at what we would need to do if we were to sell and move to an apartment or smaller house.....in the area. All the work that this would entail. Reducing our stuff.....skip, sell, charity etc.

Dealing with estate agents, solicitors, viewings. Storing furniture, moving furniture, no garage, no attic.....

Then the same old conclusion....we will stay where we are and batten down the hatches......maybe grab a few overseas holidays.

Same as always.......but what's wrong with that?

This topic is back on the agenda in our home. Maybe it's the fact that winter is approaching.

Our home is a summer home. Lovely place to be on a warm sunny day with nice garden. Now facing in to the garden being "out there" and us in doors for the next 6 months. Extra clothing, hot water bottles, failing to heat a cold house.

Looking at what we would need to do if we were to sell and move to an apartment or smaller house.....in the area. All the work that this would entail. Reducing our stuff.....skip, sell, charity etc.

Dealing with estate agents, solicitors, viewings. Storing furniture, moving furniture, no garage, no attic.....

Then the same old conclusion....we will stay where we are and batten down the hatches......maybe grab a few overseas holidays.

Same as always.......but what's wrong with that?
Reducing your stuff - probably not a bad thing, how much of your stuff do you use?
Dealing with viewings, EA's and solicitors, bit of a pain but hardly that bad
Storing furniture? just get rid, probbably wont be suitable for the new place anyway. No garage or attic? for what to store stuff? plenty of apartments now come with lock ups if you need somewhere to fill with junk ;)

Back