Download Music

In a fraction of the time of what exactly?
Of doing it manually, like i assumed you were talking about? (other wise you wouldnt've said "but life's to short")

aircobra said:
Didn't know you could see the music files when you mounted it as a HD I thought it was on a different parition or something.
It shows up with the CD/DVD drives. Provided you have it enabled in the iTunes Preferences area.

If you mean it shows up a USB drive I know that. I didn't know you had access to the music directories I thought it was only the data.

How does Tag&Rename tag files with no tags or emaningful filenames any quicker than any other tagging application. Does it analyse them like MusicBrainz or MusicMatch?

you sound like you work in the music industy:)

Not the music industry, no - but I do work in an industry where copyright and intellectual property is an issue (as it is in many industries, I suppose).

Most of us here on AAM frown upon tax evasion, which is a form of theft. Downloading music illegally is also a form of theft, and like tax evasion, it has the effect of increasing the burden carried by those who comply with the law. I think the music industry was the architect of its own misfortune in this area as it was far too slow to embrace downloading as a distribution channel and allowed the P2P market to flourish as a result.

... I think the music industry was the architect of its own misfortune in this area as it was far too slow to embrace downloading as a distribution channel and allowed the P2P market to flourish as a result.

You mean people got tired of being ripped of the music industry cartels, and their mass production of mediocre music, because they could make more profit then developing artists. [SIZE=-1]"Hoist on their own petard[/SIZE]" more like.

If you could buy a CD for a 3rd of the price, they'd double their sales overnight. They could push the quality angle of an original CD, master them properly and develop/promote better artists.

You mean people got tired of being ripped of the music industry cartels, and their mass production of mediocre music, because they could make more profit then developing artists. [SIZE=-1]"Hoist on their own petard[/SIZE]" more like.

If you could buy a CD for a 3rd of the price, they'd double their sales overnight. They could push the quality angle of an original CD, master them properly and develop/promote better artists.

This is the most sensible thig i've heard on AAM.

The music industry of today has no talent and no skill, but they know how to charge high prices for CDs etc...
I just don't think the music industry deserves to be handed money for their half-assed attempts, they're just there for the money not like 2-3 decades ago when ppl actually cared about being employed in the music industry.

extopia said:
Most of us here on AAM frown upon tax evasion, which is a form of theft. Downloading music illegally is also a form of theft, and like tax evasion, it has the effect of increasing the burden carried by those who comply with the law.

And also: not everyone is loaded enought TO comply with the law.
(could you please explain this statement above^^ extopia?) Especially the last part.

And if you are downloading 'free' music, presumably you can afford to pay for an internet connection.

Utter nonsense on both counts.

What on earth are you on about!?
:confused: :rolleyes:

OK on reading my own post it sounds dumb, sorry lads.

Music is a discretionary purchase so there's no need to resort to illegality if you cannot afford it. Just do without.

OK that's right but, do you not think the priorities need to be organised first?
Like catch rapists, murderers, drug gangs etc..first then lets focus on ppl who download music? (it seems to me that this generates revenue for the government and that's why there's so many warning etc on tv and radio)

OK on reading my own post it sounds dumb, sorry lads.
Are you still in dumb mode or should we take this seriously...
OK that's right but, do you not think the priorities need to be organised first?
Like catch rapists, murderers, drug gangs etc..first then lets focus on ppl who download music? (it seems to me that this generates revenue for the government and that's why there's so many warning etc on tv and radio)

And if you are downloading 'free' music, presumably you can afford to pay for an internet connection.

Or you could be doing it in school, college, work, librarys etc..? Doesnt have to be at home. And even if it was...how much is an internet connection? And how much is a CD, usually two-three times what you'd spend in a monthfor the internet.

(could you please explain this statement above^^ extopia?) Especially the last part.

I mean simply that those who choose to pay for their music no doubt pay more than they would if copyright theft was not a problem.

I don't think you have to be loaded to pay 99c for a track. Especially if you're wealthy enough to have a computer and/or a broadband internet connection.

The only "possibly" legitimate use I can think of to use P2P to download tracks is if you have bought the music already in another form, on record or cassette back in the old days, for example, and you either don't have the means or couldn't be bothered to convert it to digital format yourself. But I wouldn't be surprised if the music industry disagreed. I'm no fan of music industry executives, by the way, in case you're getting the wrong impression.

And by the way, if someone likes the music enough to go to the trouble of downloading it, the argument about the majority of music being crap is beside the point. Good music always survives, sometimes despite the machinations of the industry.

The bottom line is that piracy hurts the industry execs, sure, but it hurts the artists - especially young bands - more. I'm a music fan myself, and I've spent a good sum of money every year for the past 30 years buying music and going to gigs. I tend to gravitate towards the less commercial end of the scale (although I buy a fair amount of "fat cat" music too). I value good music, and I'm prepared to pay for it, because I want more of these acts to make enough to keep doing what the do best.

Legal download sites like iTunes etc. are the way forward. CD prices are still a little high in Ireland, but they're already dropping towards download price points, especially for back catalogue, and that's a positive thing.

I mean simply that those who choose to pay for their music no doubt pay more than they would if copyright theft was not a problem.

Well i am reluctant to agree with that. But it makes sense.:)

But some other ppl in this site had a rant at me because they said if everybody in Ireland worked tax would be lowered. And i disagreed.

Sort of how i feel, about your point, why would they do that? when they can make more money. There's no doubt in my mind that if they suddenly lowered prices for CDs more ppl would buy them and they would slowly abolish piracy.

But could it not be that in Ireland there's not alot of competition against companies forcing each other's prices down like the airline industry?
As for now they're able to charge what they like and there's no proof that the prices are so high because of piracy.

As for now they're able to charge what they like and there's no proof that the prices are so high because of piracy.
Shop around. For example ... new Kaiser Chiefs album in town at the weekend €20, in our local Xtravision €15 and on CD WOW €12. 13 tracks so that's presumably cheaper than iTunes? The €20 outlet can charge what it likes if people (like my sister in law) are prepared to pay it without shopping around.

Shop around. For example ... new Kaiser Chiefs album in town at the weekend €20, in our local Xtravision €15 and on CD WOW €12. 13 tracks so that's presumably cheaper than iTunes? The €20 outlet can charge what it likes if people (like my sister in law) are prepared to pay it without shopping around.

Yes i do and i know. I'm just saying that i guess that CD would be alot cheaper in England and probably even cheaper in USA, but how is this so. ppl say that "oh Ireland is just a rip off republic" all i want to kniow is, how is this?
Is it because of a monopoly in this country for almost everything?

Double the number of widgets shifted and reduce your income by a third. What business wouldn't jump at an opportunity like that! ;)

i'm afraid i disagree, greedy entrepreneurs don't go very far. I always thought in business you find a gap in the market and fill it at a generous price so ppl notice your business.
But it's like the music industry of today is leaning towards the greedy side of business and it's pushing ppl towards piracy. I'm not justifying piracy as i don't take part in alot of it, personally i prefer to buy music on CD cause its better quality. But at the samr time the music industry is partially to blame as well a ppl who take part in illegal activity.

CD prices are coming down - just like DVD prices did. There is no dispute about that. Eventually there will be no difference between prices here and in other markets, of that I have no doubt.

There is no monopoly in the music industry in Ireland, what makes you think there is? Prices are higher here - but not a huge amount higher if, as Clubman suggests, you shop around. (The Kaiser Chiefs album is 12.99 in the iTunes store, by the way, and includes 5 bonus tracks for a total of 18 tracks).

The one thing that bugs me about the industry here is that a lot of "big-name" releases (especially by Irish artists) are not allowed into the iTunes store for quite a while, in an attempt to get people to buy the CD.

There is no monopoly in the music industry in Ireland, what makes you think there is
I don't remember saying there is? I remember asking if there is one.

Are you sure there not being allowed into iTunes? Or could it just take time to make them available?

CD prices are coming down - just like DVD prices did. There is no dispute about that. Eventually there will be no difference between prices here and in other markets, of that I have no doubt.

There is no monopoly in the music industry in Ireland, what makes you think there is? Prices are higher here - but not a huge amount higher if, as Clubman suggests, you shop around. (The Kaiser Chiefs album is 12.99 in the iTunes store, by the way, and includes 5 bonus tracks for a total of 18 tracks).

The one thing that bugs me about the industry here is that a lot of "big-name" releases (especially by Irish artists) are not allowed into the iTunes store for quite a while, in an attempt to get people to buy the CD.

I don't see new CD's coming down. They are as expensive as they've ever been on the high street. While internet prices are cheaper, they are still too expensive.

iTunes is not on a parity with buying a CD. You are buying low quality tracks at 128kps nothing clost to the quality of a CD, and then you have DRM on the files which is a pain in the butt! Again no DRM issues with a CD. If you don't like it you can resell it. Wheres the resale on iTunes songs?

Downloading MP3's is much like home taping on cassette. There was a lot of rubbish about that aswell. It has been argued that people are downloading and exact copy, and its easier to download. Also that it robs sales from real CD's. But thats seem at odds that CD's and traditional media were in decline before MP3 and that most of the MP3's online are low bitrate. Also a lot of people aren't that IT literate and prefer not to get their tracks though a computer. Didn't some surveys show that a lot of people who download MP3's also buy a lot of music? Fans are going to want to collect the albums, the cover are, read the liners etc.

A lot of music doesn't get into iTunes because they don't have an agreement with the publisher for that label/artist.

The music industry seems to be doing everything they can except dropping prices. They are strangling their own market. Theres been cases where they've refused to release an album because it while it will make a profit it won't make enough profit. Theres lots of artists in the past who needed a few albums to find their feet before they became popular. Let consider them lossleaders, and an investment in their development and future profits. Yet if you cut off a budding artist or overprice their CD's they are effectively stopping that development. How often would you chance your arm on a new album? How about if it was €5?

That my 2 cents anyway.

Back