Download Music

megabyte

Can I get a few good sites that are not to expensive for downloading music,to a i-pod for my kid;
M.

www.allofmp3.com as close to free as you can get.

www.limewire.com actually free!! (Need to download limewire software)

EDIT: Both of the above are legal sites but may not be 100% legal, depending on what you are actually doing with the music and your morals!!

Bear in mind that limewire sharing is not legal. Whatever about the legality of downloading the music, you will not have any ownership rights to the music you actually download. The limewire software is also a notorious spyware magnet!

allofmp3 is cheap but not legal.

Most of us can afford a few cents for downloading the music legally so why not do the right thing?

I thought that Limewire sharing may or may not be illegal depending on what's shared? Doesn't the installer pop up a dialog asking you to confirm that you will only use it for legal transfers?

As far as I'm aware most of these Russian mp3 sites (like allofmp3.com) do not pay the copyright owners, meaning the artists don't get squat for their music.

Can I get a few good sites that are not to expensive for downloading music,to a i-pod for my kid;
M.
Is it an Apple iPod or another manufacturer's MP3 or digital audio player (DAP)? Just that I have heard people use the term iPod generically for all DAPs.

Most of us can afford a few cents for downloading the music legally so why not do the right thing?

you sound like you work in the music industy:)

I thought that Limewire sharing may or may not be illegal depending on what's shared? Doesn't the installer pop up a dialog asking you to confirm that you will only use it for legal transfers?

That's right i used limewire Once apon a time and i got bombarded with ads and warnings saying i had to accept responsibility for my download.

My personal view is: If limewire was illegal it would be shut down.

But this saga is going to go on and on for decades in the future.....everybody has different views on P2P but the main thing is that they still exist, proving that somebody doesn't care about them...so i rest my case until i see this coming up over and over again in this,and many other forums in the future...(i look forward to it :mad: )
It can and has been done you know.
Politicians have better things to do than worry about petty piracy etc..(which is a minority anyway)

I downloaded a number of albums from ITunes but had great difficulty in transferring music from PC to laptop as transfer will not be done without verification code which can sometimes fail. Also number of times you can transfer is limited which I found out to my cost after first Ipod was ruined after being dropped into the toilet.

Is it possible to download music to pc and burn onto a cd?

I'm guessing its not as otherwise ppl wouldn't have a problem with limited no. of transfers?

Seems sort of pointless paying for DRM protected tracks (e.g. from iTunes) when you can generally just by the non DRM protected version (i.e. the CD) for about the same price (possibly even less) and then not be prevented from managing your own music collection by such technical constraints...

I can heartily recommend eMusic.com. Why not register for a two week trial and get 25 free downloads?

Similar idea to iTunes, but tracks are in MP3 format so you can play them anywhere, not just on an iPod, and transfer them or burn them to CD as many times as you like (for your own personal use!). You pay a monthly subscription, but it works out much cheaper per track (43c or less depending on the plan you choose.). The selection (over 2m tracks) currently isn't as good as iTunes, but on the Classical side they do have the complete Naxos catalogue, amongst others. If you delete your MP3s accidentally you can redownload them for free (provided you continue to subscribe.).

Declaration: if you register for a trial via the above link I will get some free tracks, but it won't cost you anything.

Note that even making digital or other copies for your own personal use of CDs that you have bought is of quesionable legality and quite likely illegal in Ireland (where there is no automatic "fair use" policy allowing such actions) even if lots of people do it, the chances of prosecution are minimal and the technology required (e.g. a PC, CD ripping s/w and an MP3 player) are obviously easily obtained.

You can burn your iTunes tracks to CD then reimport them into iTunes, but you'll then have to retag them and lifes to short. The quality of iTunes tracks is quite low at 128kps. You'll get better quality for much the same price by buying 2nd hand CD's from somewhere like amazon and theres no DRM and the CD's can be kept as a backup for when you drop the iPod (or better DAP) into the toliet. (the toliet seriously?)

DAP - Digital Audio Player.

Well these things happen. I now have a 20G ipod that refuses to work with a full music collection somewhere inside. Seriously it seems that if these things get wet you may as well just throw them out. Apple cost of repair was just prohibitive.

Note that even making digital or other copies for your own personal use of CDs that you have bought is of quesionable legality and quite likely illegal in Ireland (where there is no automatic "fair use" policy allowing such actions) even if lots of people do it

While [broken link removed] confirm that you correct in relation to CDs, I would be very surprised if anyone has or ever will be prosecuted for digitisation for personal use.

I mentioned it in connection with eMusic only because someone asked about technical impedients to burning downloaded files to CD. As for the legalities of burning eMusic files for personal use, see their terms of use which say
Content received through the Service may be used and played for your personal, non-commercial use only. You agree not to reproduce, retransmit, distribute, disseminate, sell, broadcast, perform, make available to third parties or circulate the content received through the Service to anyone or to exploit any such content for commercial or noncommercial purposes without the express prior written consent of eMusic.

Now to my mind this gives you additional rights that include burning for personal use.

Additionally, their [broken link removed] page says
eMusic sells music in the universally compatible MP3 format ... The MP3 format allows consumers to play tracks on any device, burn CDs and make as many copies as they like for personal use.

While [broken link removed] confirm that you correct in relation to CDs, I would be very surprised if anyone has or ever will be prosecuted for digitisation for personal use.
I agree but just pointing it out since people seem to have odd ideas about what is and is not legal in this context (and in this specific jurisdiction).

aircobra said:
You can burn your iTunes tracks to CD then reimport them into iTunes, but you'll then have to retag them and lifes to short.

You can also open the ipod itself as a USB-HDD and drag and drop your mp3s to the pc.(problem is: some ipods rename the filenames but you should still have tags and stuff. I think filename is only thing thats changed)

And also as far as retagging them, Tag&Rename does an excellent job. In a fraction of time.

You can also open the ipod itself as a USB-HDD and drag and drop your mp3s to the pc.(problem is: some ipods rename the filenames but you should still have tags and stuff. I think filename is only thing thats changed)

And also as far as retagging them, Tag&Rename does an excellent job. In a fraction of time.

In a fraction of the time of what exactly?

Didn't know you could see the music files when you mounted it as a HD I thought it was on a different parition or something.

Back