Double laser Transaction

My mistake above regarding the printing of Laser card numbers in full on customer receipts - I rechecked my stash and noticed that some (e.g. Aldi, Dunnes) don't print them in full while others (e.g. Clery's, Lidl) do.

A friend of mine a few years ago ordered something from the internet with her credit card and a month later discovered 2 small transactions on her statement which weren't hers. She rang the bank (AIB I think) and told them that she hadn't purchased these two items and the bank got back to her quite quickly afterwards and told her that she didn't have to pay for the transactions. It appears that somebody working in the place in America where she ordered her original product had used her credit card details to make further purchases. It does make you wonder how secure anything is. Somebody in that shop has definitely pilfered that money and I would think that you should report it to the local Gardai in that area. They will go to the shop and speak to the Manager and get it sorted for you quickly.

ribena said:
A friend of mine a few years ago ordered something from the internet with her credit card and a month later discovered 2 small transactions on her statement which weren't hers.
In this case a Laser debit card was used so presumably the money is already gone and it's a case of getting it back - unlike a credit card where the card holder is not necessarily out of pocket immediately when suspicious/unauthorised transactions arise?

The bank don't have a valid authorisation for the cashback,
so I'd expect them to refund you the money. Then they have
to reconcile the difference with the merchant.

At the moment, you are sorting out the bank's problem for them.

Bank procedures for dealing with credit card fraud are probably
cleaner and quicker, because of the consumer credit act, and
because credit card fraud is more common than LASER fraud, but
I still think you have a case against the bank even if the bank tell you
to deal with the merchant.

My bank account is reimbursed (today) for the two transaction but I am still seeking an explanation how this happened My local Bank (BOI) are dealing with it and are very helpful, my initial contact was to 365 call centre and they cancelled my card and suggested that I contact the merchant.

I contacted the Franchise company in UK yesterday who have an area rep in Scotland and she will contact me today. I gave then the date and time of the transactions and they can log on to the till from UK and check it out. It seems so easy to me to solve this as the shop has a security camera (if it works) and has the date and times of the three transactions. They asked me had I notified the Police which I haven't, Should I?.

Thanks for all help and advice and I'll let ye know final outcome.

Has anyone else noticed that Lidl receipts always contain your full laser no.? I am always extra careful when disposing of...

Glad you got your money back.

If it was me I would still make a report to the Guarda, it was theft and who knows on what scale the person(s) are doing it, they took nearly 200 euro off you in a matter of minutes, if it's a busy shop just think of the multiples of money they could be raking in doing this.

Good luck

any of my laser receipts never contain the full number. i guess i just haven't made a purchase in a shop that dispalys the full number yet. by the way cosy, i'd report them if i were you. they messed you about.

Alex.

Mods, is there a problem with naming the shop here? I certainly don't want to shop there or in any of their branches!

to be honest, i would like to know who they are too. i wouldn't shop there.

Alex.

Danmo said:
Has anyone else noticed that Lidl receipts always contain your full laser no.? I am always extra careful when disposing of...
You need to buy yourself a shredder. Guess where they were for sale last week...:D:D:D

Please don't name the shop. We are all curious and we would love to know, but you are making allegations/implications of criminal activity. I don't want to put my house on the line defending a defamation case.

The news media have more resources to verify your story and take legal advice about publishing this very interesting story.

You have done the right thing. You have dealt with the shop and the bank. You have dealt with the owner of the franchise. You have got a refund.

I think that the franchise owner should be allowed an opportunity to respond to you in full. If you are not satisfied with the response, then you should go to the Gardai, especially if you think that others have been affected. I think you should also ask Bank of Ireland if their fraud investigators have checked this out. The guys should not have a Laser facility if they have not got the procedures in place to deal promptly with fraud.

Brendan

All joking aside lads, some customer receipts contain full laser number,some contain last 4 digits. Most shop copy laser receipts have full laser number and expiry date. Why do they need this when they swipe the card and you enter pin or verify signature??? The bank was unaware that the in-store copy has all theses details, Although this varies from shop to shop!!!!

Brendan

I have no intention of naming the shop, but the level of customer care/relations is very poor (no contact from the shop/franchise) all they tell me is our rep will contact you. There is alot of confusion about laser card numbers/receipts as per my previous post.

thanks

T

I got a letter from the Franchise company in UK yesterday which stated how they pride themselves in customer care ........ "We will be in touch with you in the near future when our area rep comes back from Holidays" They had the cheak to include a €10 voucher for the shop. I got the money re-imbursed into my account as per previous posting but have I a right to know the whole thing happened?? I am in the process of replying to the letter and sending back the miserable voucher.

I still would contact the fraud squad for their opinion. Rep on holidays is not a good enough excuse.

Back