Double laser Transaction

cosy

I have just checked my bank account online and have noticed two laser transactions for the one shop (not duplicate). I used a chip and pin card bought an item for €38.50 (have receipt) but my account also shows a laser transaction for the same shop,same date for €98.50. Who should I contact. Thanks in Advance

Where i work, such queries come from the bank who request a copy of signed slip or confirmation on pin been entered. If we cannot provide this we refund the customer. Contact your bank who should make all the necessary investigations for you.
Since it was a laser transaction, try and cast your mind back and try to remember if you asked for cashback. In most queries I deal with this is the case.

Thanks Sandrabing, definitely not cash back. I had only one purchase in the shop for €38.50 (one item no cash back) receipt shows €38.50. Will ring bank today re other transaction.

I very rarely use Laser especially with cashback but if memory serves me well this would not necessitate a separate transaction and €98.50 would be an unusual amount to request?

Hi,
Contact the store or the bank and this issue should be sorted within a matter of days. It could take a bit longer at the moment because of Christmas. Having the receipt makes things a lot easier. As you have internet banking, print of a statement that shows the incorrect amount being debited. You should get it back. Did you have enough funds to cover the amount of 98.50? It would be terrible if you didn't. I'd say that when complaining. I once had a DD come out one week early. Thank God I had enough money in the account. I would hate to get hit with a fee.

Mimi

cosy said:
Thanks Sandrabing, definitely not cash back. I had only one purchase in the shop for €38.50 (one item no cash back) receipt shows €38.50. Will ring bank today re other transaction.
Do you mean that both the receipt and the customer copy of the Laser docket both state €38.50?

Yes ClubMan and it got worse because a third amount of €88.35 was debited to my account yesterday from the same shop. When I contacted the bank this €88.35 and the €98.50 were "non verified pin transactions" while the €38.50 was veified by me entering my pin. The Bank hinted along the lines of fraud in the shop as I had my card(which I've now cancelled). They advised me to contact the shop and see what they had to say. I contacted the shop today(first day back) the manager was surprised to hear my story and asked me was I sure that it was not the banks fault. I gave her the details of the three transactions and showed her my original receipt for €38.50. She called 15 minutes later and said that she had found the copy receipt for €38.50 but could not see the other two transactions on file, she was very apologetic and said that they would contact the bank credit my account for the other two transaction while they "looked into it". This was at 9:15 this morning and I have not heared from her since.

I have a few questions:

I think that the bank should have contacted the shop not me.?

I feel that I have a right to know how my laser was used (fraud) to debit my account for approx €180 ?

Will I be charged for my new laser card and if I am should the shop payfor it?

THANKS IN ADVANCE AND I HOPE IT ALL MAKES SENSE

Sounds very dodgy alright from what you've posted. I too would have expected the bank to follow this up like they do with suspected unauthorised credit card transactions when they do chargebacks to check of the payment was ever authorised. I would get onto them (the bank) again to insist that they do something although I'm not 100% sure what the terms & conditions mandate in this sort of situation.

I am furious, I call into the shop again today and the manager doesn't seem to be doing anything. She asked me did I get the money refunded into my account (I Haven't), she said that she contacted the bank yesterday morning and I should have got my refund. She says that she has checked all Laser transactions and cannot find the two others that were debited to my account, I asked her did she talk to operator number 5(as per receipt) who served me on the day, "No she hasnt turned up for work today" was her answer. When I asked her could I see the origanal shop copy of the €38.50 to see was my laser number on it she said that she had checked this and that only the last 4 digits are displayed and that she would have to go to the safe and get it but would I call back as the shop was busy. I didnt call back as it was late. She was very uncomfortable talking to me and I am now suspicious of her. The shop is a franchaise and is very small with about 3 people working in it. What should I do next?

Tell her you're reporting the theft to the Gardai in 48 hours if you don't have a satisfactory explanation. Don't accept the 'shop busy' stuff. Start talking loudly in front of the other customers about theft & fraud. Ask her how busy her shop will be if you start walking up & down outside with a placard highlighting the theft.

I really do hope you get this issue sorted soon. Maybe you might name them and shame them after you get it sorted? I would like to avoid that shop if this is what they are doing to customers.

Mimi

Talked to the Bank this morning and they are seeking a full paper trail for the 3 transactions. The new chip and pin cards are not much better than the old laser card as most people forget the pin and the signature is verified (same as old card). When you do a laser transaction your card number does not appear on the customers copy just the last four digits EG *************1234, Somebody told me that the full laser number appears on the shop copy???? can anybody confirm and again it is a chip and pin laser card.

cosy said:
The new chip and pin cards are not much better than the old laser card as most people forget the pin and the signature is verified (same as old card).
Indeed. In fact some would argue that the old way of authorising payments with a signature is actually more secure than Chip and Pin!

When you do a laser transaction your card number does not appear on the customers copy just the last four digits EG *************1234, Somebody told me that the full laser number appears on the shop copy????
I don't think that the full number appears on any printed dockets.

ClubMan said:
I don't think that the full number appears on any printed dockets.

I work for a place that does visa/laser/mastercard transactions and it definitely does print the full number along with the expiry date on the "shop" copy.

Also, the shop could easily do the refund without the bank having to look for a paper trail.

If I was the OP I would march into the shop at a peak time and shout very loudly about unuauthorised transactions by the shop and see how quickly it gets resoved

I work for a place that does visa/laser/mastercard transactions and it definitely does print the full number along with the expiry date on the "shop" copy

This is where I think the problem is, A person working in this shop used my laser number and entered two other transactions, took cash from the till to match theses two extra transaction. The shop is telling me that there is no laser receipt for theses two transaction (Bull ****), Anyway the Bank need proof of theses transactions and are working on that, they told me that the three transactions took place inside one hour on 22nd December. I have not made any further contact with the shop as I dont trust/believe the manager. It is in a shopping centre and the manager of the shopping centre will not give me the owners name or phone number, he says that he will contact the owner with my phone number??? As the shop is a franchise I am going to make contact with original company in UK and see if I can get the owners name. If not I think its time to name and shame, WHATS JOE DUFFYS PHONE NUMBER

JP1234 said:
I work for a place that does visa/laser/mastercard transactions and it definitely does print the full number along with the expiry date on the "shop" copy.
I stand corrected so. I just checked a whole heap of Laser receipts from over the Xmas period and none of them contained the full number. I guess my survey sample was not large enough.

cosy said:
WHATS JOE DUFFYS PHONE NUMBER
http://www.rte.ie/radio1/liveline/

Clubman

It doesn't print you number on "customer copy" but prints it on "Shop copy" which amazed me. I did mention this to the bank and they were surprised as well.

I think it's supposed to assist in tracing transactions in the case of dispute! :confused:

There is some more information at www.aib.ie/merchantservices
about their obligations regarding storing of data etc which might be useful to you Cosy.

Back