Dog Funeral

Thanks for the input, including the funnies. Costs about 100 to get dog cremated & about 250 for cremation & return of ashes. Wonder how many people actually get the correct ashes?

would u not consider burying the dog out the back garden in a nice corner with a homemade headstone etc.. this probably isnt to everyones taste of course..

We had to have our 12 year old collie put to sleep afew weeks ago because he had a stroke. We buried him in the back garden along side our first dog who died 12 years ago.
I have got some strange reaction from some people when I tell them We buried the dog in the garden as these people seemed to think there is some law to say you can't bury an animal in your own garden. I cannot find anything on the web re this law. Anyone any ideas on this.

It may be that the lovely pet cemetery in Enniskerry has been closed.It was on the way to Glencree, just outside the village & next door to a garden centre. I have not been there for a few years & it would be awful if all the lovely pet graves & headstones had been built on. Anyone know if it is still open?
I have two dogs buried up there.It`s called Kilmolin pet cemetary, beside Kilmolin garden centre on the glencree road from Enniskerry.
Larry Doyle is the owner......a really nice gentleman who respectfully looked after my pets.

I can think of alot better things to spend E350 on than a dog cremation and return of ashes. I grew up in the country with lots of dogs and cats dying, we just dug a hole in the bog and that was that!

Yes we got our 18yr old dog cremated and still have the ashes! You could use them to bury in the back yard rather than the dog itself or bring it to somewhere special where you walked the dog and spread them there.
Best of luck, its heartbreaking!

Im so sorry for your loss :( poor little boys. we buried our pet in the back garden next to a big treat and flowers. There very young maybe you could put a little cross up and say when they want to talk or visit him he'll be there.

I can think of alot better things to spend E350 on than a dog cremation and return of ashes. I grew up in the country with lots of dogs and cats dying, we just dug a hole in the bog and that was that!
I'm glad I grew up in the city with lots of living children and adults! :eek:

I think I'll start a new business as a Pet undertaker. Isn't it amazing how easy some people part with their hard earned money.

A friend of mine worked in a dog crematorium for a summer while in the states. I believe it cost in excess of $200 extra to have the ashes return to you. You were told that this was because it had to be an individual cermation, urn etc. Yes you got a pile of ash for your money but it most certainly wasn't your beloved mut! Of course this only applies to that particular establishment.

I can understand why somebody would want a dog in their home but an undertaker? Sounds a bit ghoulish... :(
If you saw hens you wouldn't guess eggs. The reason I said a pet undertaker was that most people on here are willing to pay to get their pets buried. :rolleyes:

For what it's worth, we got our dog cremated and had the ashes returned. He now proudly resides in my kids bedroom in a well made casket with his name on a brass plate, beside a picture of him. My 6 year old was mad about him and loves having him close by. He also gets a kick out of getting the casket whenever a visitor asks about the dog.

Megan to answer your question I too buried a much loved large dog in our surburban garden and was told all sorts of rubbish as to why it was illegal. However I checked with the Dept. of the Environment, our local council and our vet all of whom were of huge help and gave me a few obvious guidelines to follow but there is no law against it. Just use common sense as regards depth, position, etc and theres no reason why not to have your beloved bed rest in their garden.

I can relate with a previous poster who grew up in the countryside and dogs were just buried in the nearest hole, however, saying that my own dog did seven years ago and I was heartbroken, I buried him in the garden and set a cherry tree over the spot. Now every spring the tree blooms around the time he died and I always recall the fond memories I had of him. I have never been able to replace him with another dog.

:eek:

true. oops sorry.. tough decision though... my young woman at home cried when we had Brandy put to sleep. tricky situation with kids. unfortunately they have to learn/experience the ups and downs in life.

awww good luck with it...

I so agree, our dog died of poisioning some years ago, long story, I knew she was dead and reversed the car so that the children would not see before school. A friend helped bury her, in our garden, I could'nt stop crying and worrying how the children would react. Turns out the children took it in their stride, I was a wreck for a long time. ups and downs

Megan to answer your question I too buried a much loved large dog in our surburban garden and was told all sorts of rubbish as to why it was illegal. However I checked with the Dept. of the Environment, our local council and our vet all of whom were of huge help and gave me a few obvious guidelines to follow but there is no law against it. Just use common sense as regards depth, position, etc and theres no reason why not to have your beloved bed rest in their garden.

Thanks tinkerbell for your reply. I feel it is nice to have them buried close by. As I said in my post my other dog is burried there also so I feel now they are together even though they never met. They both gave us great joy during their lives - 24 years in total. I still have a small terrier which is 9 years old and when her day is end she will join them.

Back