Dog Funeral

BlueSpud

Our poor old boxer dog is on his last legs, and he is one of the family. We have 2 boys, 6 & 7, and we are trying to manage the situation for them as best we can. Just wondering how others have done this in the past, i.e. where to bury the pet, cremation etc. We have started to talking to the boys about it to prepare them for it, but it is starting to get to them a bit.

All ideas welcome.

Well bluespud my boxer dog died on thursday really heartbroken over it. We are going to get him cremated when we get him back from the post mortem.

Sorry Bluespud but death comes to us all. A few years ago we laid our beloved doggie down in the most beautiful graveyard anywhere. Views overlooking the sea & Wicklow mountains at Enniskerry pet cemetry. I would love to be buried there but it has a pet's only policy. You can arrange a nice little ceremony & put up a memorial if you like. Let the kids compose their own poem about their pet & print it with a picture of the deceased. Get it laminated/weatherproofed at Reads or a printshop & fix it on the grave. After the funeral take the kids on to Powerscourt waterfall or gardens for a picnic.

Last edited:
Sorry Bluespud but death comes to us all. A few years ago we laid our beloved doggie down in the most beautiful graveyard anywhere. Views overlooking the sea & Wicklow mountains at Enniskerry pet cemetry. I would love to be buried there but it has a pet's only policy. You can arrange a nice little ceremony & put up a memorial if you like. Let the kids compose their own poem about their pet & print it with a picture of the deceased. Get it laminated/weatherproofed at Reads or a printshop & fix it on the grave. After the funeral take the kids on to Powerscourt waterfall or gardens for a picnic.
Sounds like what I'm looking for. Did you mean the pet cemetary in Powerscourt or is there another on in Enniskerry. Just phoned Powerscourt & their one is closed

Someone suggested that my local vet can tell me where the local pet cemeteries are, so I will contact them.

Thanks for the posts, much appreciated.

It may be that the lovely pet cemetery in Enniskerry has been closed.It was on the way to Glencree, just outside the village & next door to a garden centre. I have not been there for a few years & it would be awful if all the lovely pet graves & headstones had been built on. Anyone know if it is still open?

We had to have our beloved dog put to sleep last year and found it very difficult to find a resting place. There was a crematorium option (in Belfast I think) that would cremate and return him to us but we really preferred a burial. In the end, we buried him in our own garden, very deeply and well protected from foxes, etc. Have to say we never regretted it. Your vet should be a good help in the options open to you I would think?

there is afaik a pet cematorium (?spelling) in Bray. your vet can send your dog there & the ashes are returned within 3 weeks. can't advise on pet cemetaries - sorry

sorry for your loss

Our poor old boxer dog is on his last legs, and he is one of the family. We have 2 boys, 6 & 7, and we are trying to manage the situation for them as best we can. Just wondering how others have done this in the past, i.e. where to bury the pet, cremation etc. We have started to talking to the boys about it to prepare them for it, but it is starting to get to them a bit.

All ideas welcome.

You may like to log on to Irish Pet Crematoria, which has a listing of all the centres throughout the country that use their services:

[broken link removed]

O/T Re: Dog Funeral

Does AAM attract Boxer owners more than any other type of dog owner ?

Our Boxer is 12 in a few days ( a great age for a Boxer ) and I'm glad to say isnt doing badly.

We have kept Boxers for decades.

Its gutting when one of them dies.

would u not consider burying the dog out the back garden in a nice corner with a homemade headstone etc.. this probably isnt to everyones taste of course..

:eek:

true. oops sorry.. tough decision though... my young woman at home cried when we had Brandy put to sleep. tricky situation with kids. unfortunately they have to learn/experience the ups and downs in life.

awww good luck with it...

What about burying the dog in a new road that is being built?
After all they do say "The 'auld dog for the hard road..."

Re: O/T Re: Dog Funeral

What do you do with them once you have done that?

Shall I react by ignoring Purple posties in the future ?

Back