Dog Barking Nuisance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bark Update: The Jetlagger Life continues, zonked after the recent bark filled nights. Served the owner with Noise Complaint tonight. Served him in person - he took it in his hand, then when I said it was court papers he told me to leave and threw it on the ground, I left it on the step as he blocked his letter box with his hand - I didn't need to do so as he was actually served properly (I was just hoping he'd read it to see the date and turn up in court). 20 minutes later a Garda car heads in direction of his house, then they turn up at mine! Couldn't answer in the bad bad Pyjamas, rang them later but they had finished their shift. All this hassle and time wasting and all 1 man has to do is be decent, open his back door and let his dogs stay in his garage at night.....the saga continues and I grow older looking by the day!

Nightmare stuff.

I would make a point of calling down to the Gardai and getting a note of the incident on record with them, tell them you are concerned for your safety and that of your family as you consider his actions to be threatening.

I think I'd also send him a copy of the court papers by post (maybe even try registered post) with a brief note on them indicating that these are duplicates of the documents you served on him and he threw on the ground.

Thanks Mr Earl; I actually asked the Gardaí could a request go in for Community Gardaí mediate as otherwise it's lots of paperwork for them if I start making statements on various things that have occurred. I'm thinking he either made up some nonsense when he called them or else said I was trespassing by knocking on his door. I think duplicate documents will just inflame him even more - I'll make my Declaration of Service anyhow and play it by ear for the next few days. Another day wrecked and soooooo behind with my work as a result. He's what we'd called a 'Bad Article' as home! I'd still sit down and discuss it if he were willing to - but I think he is too wired and ultimately it suits him to leave the dogs outside all night. What a Palava!

Why have you not tried the wireless silencing device as recommended, if you are stressed as you say you should have got the best one you could rather than open yourself to a risk of retaliation by going the direction you outline.

I would do anything to avoid conflict with a neighbour like you describe, there are no winners, get smart and try and shut the dogs up wirelessly.

PaddyBloggit!! Brilliant!! best Laugh all day!! In the UK a man was convicted of an offence for replaying back (at a loud volume) his neighbour's dog barking - he'd recorded it. It would be the best medicine, or a drone that flies into his window every half hour and wakes dog owner up. The law needs to be changed with regard to dog barking or at the very least Local Authority By-laws.

PaddyBloggit - Played a bit of music outside last night from around 9ish - we were outside enjoying the balmy evening (when around 8.30 the headache inducing barking started) We were setting up the Aldi/Intex Bargain Spa Pool; so I knew it would take a good hour - I popped the small stereo outside - and at exactly 10.30 a squad car calls up to the house and says a neighbour has complained about the music! This post will be deleted if not edited immediately - what is the world coming to - the one night in 15 years I blast a bit of music; I was basically drowning out the sound of 'El Fluffy Barco' down the road! Explained same to the Garda - so he said he'd happily call to dog barking house and as for my music - that was entirely up to me - he had no jurisdiction to instruct me to turn it down - that worked as barking stopped at 0230. If only my bid on the Korean Speakers had been successful - then everyone would have got to hear Billy Joel!!! I almost give up on the Irish Human Race.

a neighbour has complained about the music!
Bet it was the dog barking neighbour.

You should be where I am now ... in the heart of Kerry. No dogs (only my own and they're too lazy to bark), only deer.

It's bliss ... the silence.

The following any good to you?

From the Dublin City Council website:

Nuisance due to Barking Dogs
Section 25 of the Control of Dogs Act 1986 deals with the issue of nuisance due to barking dogs. Under Section 25 of this act a decision as to whether any case of dog barking constitutes a nuisance is an issue for the District court to adjudicate on

An individual wishing to make a complaint to the district court regarding barking dogs can download the relevant form here.

For further advice on properly serving this notices as required under section 25 of the Control of Dogs Act contact your local district court office.

Kerry sounds great! Nope it was my direct neighbour; I've listened to ten years of his 20 mins of manly revving on his sport motor engine early of a Saturday morning before he takes it for a loop of the 50km zone!!!; his years of 8am DIY, his kid kicking ball against our party fence, his really bad irish music, and the one time I've ever done a Korean Offensive he calls the police! As the Garda said - people call us easily cause we're free. Off house sitting next weekend - just for peace. Thanks for link, (I've that all in hand). I think Dublin City Council will actually take dog owners to task - whereas Westmeath - you're on your own! Enjoy the deer! Your dogs are probably just happy and looked after!

Last edited:
I think you need to move!

I would send recorded delivery complaints to the counsel, the police and the dog warden. Waste of time ‘chatting’ to the lot of them.

Hi Bronte, a move will be on the cards in the next while; but I want this 'sorted' first, I'm not bowing down to bullying. Going to contact council and councillors and seek By-law to be introduced (It will help people down the line). This kind of problem is more common than people realise, or even me until I started talking to people (My own childminder is in the estate and she is woken most nights by two hunting dogs kept in a pen 10ft by 8ft - worse again for her children - who wake up tired - one of whom is leaving cert this year.

Thank you; that's actually a great idea re recorded letters to the above - I can present it as evidence in court also. Gardaí advised me not to drive past his house or contact him - he may have a history with them?

Barking just started up there at 2300.

If he doesn't turn up in Court (he threw summons back at me) - I hope the Judge decides to hear it on the day - I'll have a smorgasbord of evidence.

I will be titling this weekend 'The May Bark Holiday Weekend' - might catch Judge Hughes' interest. I should be suing the numbscull for the theft of my time and peace of mind.

Thanks Ceist Beag - I am beyond wrecked. I will seek costs and expenditure on the day and hope to look for damages - that may be at another date. I'll see. I've brought it this far anyhow. I will be setting up a website to give information to people on how to tackle nuisance barking. The costs will assist with that. we'll see how it all pans out soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back