do i still have to pay a tv licence

Hi Samanthajane,

Just get hold of a monitor with a scart and/or AV inputs and use that for your DVD player and Wii. Make sure your not using a DVD recorder, which will have a tuner in it.
You do NOT need a licence for this setup.

Another option would be to get the tuner removed from your TV set, thus rendering it unable to receive any broadcasts.

Do you not remember the ads "if you have a television set you must have a television licence" how much simpler can it be?

i think even if you have any kind of wireless aerial that despite having no TV you are legally obligated to pay the license, is this true ?

How can a TV licence inspector prove you have a TV in the house?
Since they've no right to enter how can they detect a television set within the house?
Also why is it called a licence? Licence is a term generally associated with the use of some controlled equipment to minimise hazards to others, e.g. driving licence cause you could kill someone without proper training, a gun because of the obvious, an Xray machine cause you could harm others etc etc. I think it should be renamed a TV TAX.

This is from tv licence website :

Terms and conditions

1. Any person in occupancy at an address where a television set is held is legally responsible for the licensing of the television set regardless of ownership of either the premises or the set itself.
  2. Under the Wireless Telegraphy Legislation it is a prosecutable offence to be in possession of an unlicensed television set. Fines for a first offence can be up to €634.87 and €1,267.74 for subsequent offences.

Agree.once you have a tv you need a licence.better to just put it in a box and watch dvds on your pc.

I looked at this a few years ago when a friend of mine with a Sky box hooked it up to a projector and watched TV projected against a white wall. He wondered if he needed a licence for this set up as he was not using a TV.

As far as I remember, the legislation defines "TV" as any apparatus or system that can receive and display broadcast programmes. Therefore the Sky box and projector was a "TV"

On the flip side, as Sparkrite says, if your system is specifically disabled from receiving broadcasts, technically it may not be a "TV" for licensing purposes any more

I'm moving house in a few weeks and i've decided to get rid of my sky, broadband and my land line.

I need to save money and i don't really need them any more. Do I still need to pay a TV licence?

<snip>.

Yes, so long as you have a "television" in your dwelling it must be licensed.
And I think that even a computer with a TV tuner card qualifies as a TV.

But fear not!
You can watch over 3,000 channels online!

http://wwitv.com/portal.htm

Unfortunately only 10 are Irish, and most are news/Oireachtas-related.
Ho hum.

Yes, so long as you have a "television" in your dwelling it must be licensed.
And I think that even a computer with a TV tuner card qualifies as a TV.

But fear not!
You can watch over 3,000 channels online!

http://wwitv.com/portal.htm

Unfortunately only 10 are Irish, and most are news/Oireachtas-related.
Ho hum.

So do all computers/laptops have this TV tuner card?

Dont tell me i need to get that removed.

As it turns out i couldn't be bothered with all the hassle so i just took my telly out of the house.....only problem i have now is getting the landlord to remove her telly that is currently in the house.

Had a knock at the door about the licence ( they were quick) and i told them i dont have a telly in the house.... and what was sitting at the bottom of the stairs...yep her telly which has been there for weeks. Only just managed to get out of that one by explaining the situation, even showed him every room in the house to prove i had no other tellys. Not sure if he believed me or not, sure i'll find out if a fine comes in the post.

Wasn't there a change in the legislation lately meaning that if you have an internet connection, you must have a TV license even if you don't have a TV? I presume its because RTE now let you watch old shows online.

Don't have a link, thought I read about it here or on boards.ie.

I use a laptop and a projector so no TV and watch internet channels & movies on that.

I have a question though, do I need a licence if I watch the online RTE player programs?

Back