do i still have to pay a tv licence

samanthajane

I'm moving house in a few weeks and i've decided to get rid of my sky, broadband and my land line.

I need to save money and i don't really need them any more. Do I still need to pay a TV licence?

I was told that as long as I have a TV in my house I have to pay, but the telly wont even be connect to an ariel, I don't even want the normal channels like rte/tv3 ect.

All i will use the telly for is dvd's.

I thought the TV licence was just if you were watching the TV channels, so i don't think i should have to pay the licence.

As far as i know , once you have a tv at your address , you need a licence .

As you can also tune in channels using an indoor aerial , you would not be able to prove to a licence inspector , that you have not been using tv for viewing tv channels .

why not use a laptop for the dvd's?

would be worth buying a larger screen laptop so it's easier to watch..

I thought without an ariel on your roof it was next to impossible to actually get a picture.

If i'm not able to prove to them that i'm not watching the tv channels, how can they prove that i am watching the channels. I know it doesn't work that way but it's very one sided if that is the case.

Edit: I agree woodbine a laptop would be a good idea but they have a wii as well and they'd never be able to play that on a laptop. There not too happy about not having the childrens package with the sky but they understand why i'm getting rid of it. I'm deperatly trying to save money to take them away for a week in the summer, probably wont go abroad but at least do something with them.

This is from tv licence website :

Terms and conditions

1. Any person in occupancy at an address where a television set is held is legally responsible for the licensing of the television set regardless of ownership of either the premises or the set itself.
  2. Under the Wireless Telegraphy Legislation it is a prosecutable offence to be in possession of an unlicensed television set. Fines for a first offence can be up to €634.87 and €1,267.74 for subsequent offences.

Thanks for that allthedoyles, so bascially it doesn't matter if i'm watching the channels or not i still have to pay. ( not even going to go into the rights and wrongs of that, cause it will get me no where )

Just had another thought even if you just had a laptop you can download tv programms anyway, If i miss an episode of eastenders i can go onto the bbc website and watch it.......wouln't be surprised if they had a licence for a laptop these days.

Wait until you get a letter from them about the telly license. We've movede in ages and still not been sent a ltr about getting a license. Gonna wait until we do before we pay for one but either way i think you'll need to get one. Sure you'd be better off paying for it and watching the few programs if you're saving you won't be going out

even when i wasn't saving i didn't go out, couldn't afford it then let alone now. Would they not backdate it to when you moved in.

How much is a tv licence these days? Never had to pay it before was always dealt with by the ex ( wouldn't be surprised if he never paid it lol ) Can you still buy those stamps instead of having topay for it all up front.

haha yeah the ads were great, the one i remember the most is the one where they pretend the telly is a microwave and have a recording of a chicken being cooked lol

A few years ago i would of stood my ground and insisted that i shouldn't have to pay, gone to court and probably be locked up for insulting the judge and everyone connected to the tv licencing. Thankfully i've mellowed a bit and these days it's anything for a quiet life.

SJ - current cost of TV license is 160 Euro. If you have a current license it is possible to get it credited to your new address for the rest of its term. If you are keeping the telly think of getting a good quality indoor aerial as reception can be suprisingly good, I had one for a few years when all I had was a portable tv and picture was fine. When I treated myself to a widescreen tv, I got an ariel erected in the attic and I have great reception for the 4 Irish stations which I find quite enough. Might be something to think of.

Do u remember the ad with Frances from fair city (Pnot that i watch it or anything) and she lets on she's on wife swap and calls her mother even though she's 90 10 lol or the one where yer man comes in and they pretend to be foreign - hilarious ads i think. They kinda make a mockery of the system a bit but oh well. why don't u just get a dodgy box?

160 euro i may yet stand my ground.....i'm seriously out of touch i was thing it was around 90 euro. I've never watched the irish channels they are never on time.... every time i went to record something i'd miss either the start of the finish.

There's actually an ariel on the roof in the new house and it's all connected up, i would of taken it down if it meant i didn't have to pay but either even if i did that i'd still have to pay. Oh it's all money, money, money.

My only other option is to get rid of the telly out of the house, the kids can take their wii to their dads house and just play it when they are their, that was my oly reason to keep the telly in the first place.

Funny, due to shift working I video most things I want to watch and if I add 5mins to either end of the scheduled programme time I rarely miss anything

sorry for confusion canny39, i was talking about recording with my sky plus. eastenders was with rte and emmerdale tv3. I wasn't able to add 5 mins to the start or end of the programm and got fed up of missing the ends so i changed over to the english channels and that stopped the problem.

jaybird where were you 3 years ago when i needed this advice???

I never knew you could do that.....all those cliff hangers that i missed never to be seen again.

Right, paul whose patrick's son is dead, janine is back, tony was abusing whitney and he's in prison now, peggy's running for election, ian's still a sap, jane was learning poile dancing and tried out comedy, and lots of other doom and gloom love it.

Andy was bating up Jo and daz and victoria fancy each other. Debbie's in prison and andy has sarah. Jack passed away and val is trying to get dianne to sell the pub...

hmmmmm i can do a bit of home and away for you aswell if you like

ILMAO oh lynsalot you are a funny one.

No need to worry yourself i dont watch home and away.....but i did miss steve and becky's wedding.......

Back