Do I have to have a NCT Cert?

J

jp.w

It is two years since my last nct test.my question Is

Do i have to particpate (under Irish law, if so which Act ,
and is it enforced, not all laws are enforced)with the test.

Note: Motor tax, You are sent an rewnewal
Motot Ins Same as above
T V Same as above
NCT No rewnewal notice

Do I have to have an Nct Test ?

Please forgive my spelling

Re: nct test

Another half day,and about 40euro.
thank you

u can get it done on a saturday....
and they do send u a renewal notice to the address the car is registered to

If you are not notified you are still obliged to arrange it yourself. The cost is 49euro. Its available on sat and sunday in most centers.

Is it worth your while doing a pre-test in your own garage first? Or just sit it out and let the nct guys tell you what needs fixing? I have mine coming up in a couple of months.

It depends-if something isn't picked up in a pre-test, you may have to go back to the garage and spend more money getting it fixed. I'd say that allowing the car to go for the test and fail is a good enough idea for older/poorly maintained cars.

No point in pre-test if garage does not have right equipment. They could miss something that will be picked up at test.And it could cost alot. Nct will point out problems and do a retest for 27.50.Not a big cost compared to unnecessary work a garage might do.

Sorry ccovich, my post crossed with yours, and you said it better than me anyway.Agree with you completely.

Thank you people for your thoughts.
i will ask for a sunday appointment.

another ?
can i be arrested for not displaying a current nct disc

Not sure if you can be arrested but your insurer could refuse to pay out if you're involved in an accident. Have been in the same situation myself in the past (driving without active NCT), if a Garda asked I always used to say either (a) I was waiting for a test to come up, or (b) I forgot to put the new disc in.

ballymun, eventually kept calling early in the morning and got a test, whcih failed so it was 2 weeks before they could give me the retest

Lucky U

Whenever I look NCTS.ie always shows Ballymun1, Ballymun2 & Drogheda fully booked for the next 5 weeks !

Hi all.
we must be very lucky as we phoned city west nct office on Thurs 14th and got a test booked for Fontill rd for Thursday 21st.....delighted..

The nice lady in the NCT call centre advised me last week to call between 8am and 8:30 as that was the time when they would have cancellations to reassign. I rang at 8:01 last Weds and got an appointment for Mon 25th.

We had an NCT scheduled for a time which didn't suit as we were going to be away and we tried to reschedule it, but there were no slots available in Deansgrange for the next X weeks - where X was a big number.

In the end we organised for someone else to drop the car down at the time, but at minor inconvenience to us and to them.

The crazy thing is that there may well have been someone looking at the NCT website with a Thursday 1700 appointment wanting to change for my Sunday 0930 appointment, but neither of us would cancel because there was no sign of any alternative availability . . . and there was no alternative availability because 'the other guy' didn't cancel his appointment first.

It just seems a bit weird that there is no slack at all in the schedules - if there was some slack this would encourage people to cancel and re-arrange and thereby free up their old slot so that someone else could come along, pick that one up and free up their original slot. I know NCT aren't in the business of arranging peoples timetables, but a little bit of flexibility would help improve the customer experience.

z

apart from posting a link to the NCT website which states you must have an NCT cert and encforcement is a matter for the gardai - can anyone specify what powers (if any) gardai have to 'enforce' this? anyone get a fixed penalty recently? (i haven't - but got them years ago) - they list the offences - is anything NCT related on that list? i doubt it. friend has no NCT on car for years and hasn't stopped him getting insurance or tax and has never had any trouble at check-points.....

friends of mine are gardai and they tell me, off the record, that they couldn't give a monkeys about NCT certs if everything else is in order - not very technichal legal language but there you go!

ps - i dont think an insurance company could refuse to pay out in the event that a car they insured, which was involved in an accident, was not NCT'd - the lack of an NCT cert does not mean a car is not road-worthy - just as equally as a 23 month old NCT cert does not mean that a car is road-worthy at present. insurance companies, when renewing cover - ask you about penalty points etc - they dont ask about nct certs.

Back