Do I have to have a NCT Cert?

Re: nct test

Compulsory car testing was introduced in Ireland in January 2000 as part of an EU Directive that makes car testing compulsory in all member states. It is an offence to drive a car that is liable for testing without displaying a National Car Testing Service disc and offenders will face fines of up to 1,500 euro.

friends of mine are gardai and they tell me, off the record, that they couldn't give a monkeys about NCT certs if everything else is in order - not very technichal legal language but there you go!

There is a thread in Letting Off Steam about falling Garda standards...I think the quote above is a perfect example of this.

boaber:

please name the irish legislation that has transposed this EU directive into irish law - please outline which section in particular imposes a 1500 euro fine.

my comment about gardai turning a blind eye was not a comment about gardai - it was meant to strengthen my stated belief that the gardai do not actually have the power to do anything in the event that an NCT cert has expired..

i could be wrong.

Was stopped by a young garda a while back, and had no nct on old car, since disposed of. Told me to produce same in station within 2 weeks. I called to the local station re same in the following days, and was told to forget about it - werent interested!

EU Directives dating back to December 1976 imposed various requirements on Member States to carry out roadworthiness tests on motor vehicles and their trailers. The various EU Directives have been consolidated into a single directive (96/96/EC) on which the introduction of car testing in Ireland is based. The main thrust of the Directive is to improve road safety and environmental protection.

It is an offence under road traffic law to use in a public place a car that is liable for the test unless a valid test certificate is in force for the car. Enforcement of the requirement is a matter for the Garda Síochána. This is facilitated by the display of discs on the windscreen of cars, which are issued when the test has been passed. The Test and Costs The legal basis for the test is provided by the Road Traffic (National Car Test) Regulations 2003 (S.I. No. 405 of 2003). http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2003/en/si/0405.html

boaber,

i asked you to state the specific section of irish legislation that emposes a penalty for an out of date NCT cert - you have not done so.

Re: nct test

apart from posting a link to the NCT website which states you must have an NCT cert and encforcement is a matter for the gardai - can anyone specify what powers (if any) gardai have to 'enforce' this? anyone get a fixed penalty recently? (i haven't - but got them years ago) - they list the offences - is anything NCT related on that list? i doubt it. friend has no NCT on car for years and hasn't stopped him getting insurance or tax and has never had any trouble at check-points.....

friends of mine are gardai and they tell me, off the record, that they couldn't give a monkeys about NCT certs if everything else is in order - not very technichal legal language but there you go!

ps - i dont think an insurance company could refuse to pay out in the event that a car they insured, which was involved in an accident, was not NCT'd - the lack of an NCT cert does not mean a car is not road-worthy - just as equally as a 23 month old NCT cert does not mean that a car is road-worthy at present. insurance companies, when renewing cover - ask you about penalty points etc - they dont ask about nct certs.

Absolutely right, no NCT law is enforced at the moment. You can get insurance and tax without your NCT, therefore a law that is NOT enforced. (they lost too much money first time around when people could not NCT the cars and therefore did not tax them either) That was when they introduced the NCT ....and made it manditory. They have learned by their mistakes.

Apologies Vladimir

It's Section 18 (2) of the Road Traffic Act, 1961

[broken link removed]

It refers to a fine of 50 pounds, which has been increased by subsequent amendments to €1,500 [broken link removed]

Back