Do Dentists diregard the prices set out by prsi

foxylady

I recently had to get a tooth pulled by a dentist who charged me 63 euro (Their prsi Rate) However the rate for this on welfare.ie is 13 euro???

Any dentist out there able to explain this to me????????

Isn't the "PRSI rate" just what SW pay as a subsidy to the dentist and not a price list per se?

Do you earn more than €55K? If not then have you queried the charges with your dentist?

I dont earn over 55k and even if it had have been surgical it would have only cost €10 per 15 mins. It took less than five minutes.

I queried it next day as could not talk that night and the receptionist tried to fob me off with loads of excues , sais she would get dentist to contact me but he still hasnt.

on a similar topic - every time i go to get my teeth cleaned, I am charged by the dentist - even though you are entitled to a free clean every 12 or is it 18 months? when i queried the amount, i was told it was a "special cleaning".... is there any dentists out there that will define "special cleaning" because i could find nothing special about it....

even if it had have been surgical it would have only cost €10 per 15 mins.
Not necessarily. If it is over 45 mins they can charge more. This in essence covers wisdom teeth etc.

Interesting - never knew that there were different levels of cleaning which were charged differently under the Treatment Benefit scheme. I'm due to visit my dentist soon so must check which he plans on doing.

dawnsurprise - you should query the extraction charges again and continue to insist on a proper response to your questions. If this proves problematic then put your complaints in writing to the dentist in the first instance and, if necessary, bring the complaint to the attention of the relevant authorities (not sure who but maybe SW and/or one of the dentists' representative bodies.

on a similar topic - every time i go to get my teeth cleaned, I am charged by the dentist - even though you are entitled to a free clean every 12 or is it 18 months? when i queried the amount, i was told it was a "special cleaning".... is there any dentists out there that will define "special cleaning" because i could find nothing special about it....
If covered by PRSI you are entitled to a clean/polish every six months and an exam/check-up every 12 months. To avoid the dentist charging you up front you need to get a D1 form from the dentist in question (D2 if claiming on a spouses PRSI) and send it to the DSW Treatment Benefit Section for pre-approval. I appreciate that dentists may have administrative difficulties engaging with the State in relation to PRSI claims but IMHO the system, where dentists can charge PRSI qualified customers €80 or €90 upfront for an exam & cleaning and subsequently refund the €60 that the state pays, is against the spirit of the PRSI scheme; also there is no guarantee that the refund will arrive, I have had to chase the dentist for said refund in the past.

I recently had to get a tooth pulled by a dentist who charged me 63 euro (Their prsi Rate) However the rate for this on welfare.ie is 13 euro???

Any dentist out there able to explain this to me????????

I'm just amazed that you managed to get a tooth pulled for 63 euro! :(

If covered by PRSI you are entitled to a clean/polish every six months and an exam/check-up every 12 months. To avoid the dentist charging you up front you need to get a D1 form from the dentist in question (D2 if claiming on a spouses PRSI) and send it to the DSW Treatment Benefit Section for pre-approval.
The two dentists that I've used in the past couple of decades have always done this for me in advance of a visit.

The two dentists that I've used in the past couple of decades have always done this for me in advance of a visit.

Me too but I've never been refunded the money. I was always told that the price charged was after the deduction had been taken into account.

That's the way it used to be across the board but that seem to be changing now.
Me too but I've never been refunded the money. I was always told that the price charged was after the deduction had been taken into account.
Might I suggest that you may have been ripped off in that case. Your PRSI should cover the full cost of the exam & cleaning.

you must have an approved d1 form PRIOR to treatment/exam.
There is NO requirement on dentist to refund money for treatment provided prior to approval.

Might I suggest that you may have been ripped off in that case. Your PRSI should cover the full cost of the exam & cleaning.

Yes indeed!:mad: A quick look through the threads on this board and it becomes obvious that dentistry needs to be regulated and policed more efficiently. Does anyone know if a dentist is obliged to display a price list?

Back