Do Dentists diregard the prices set out by prsi

I do display a price list and it was the best thing I ever did as now everyone knows my fees etc and there are no surprises when it comes to pay etc.
Does anyone know if a dentist is obliged to display a price list?
not to my knowledge but I think it is a wonderful idea.

they do a fax service that usually yields a response in a couple of days but frequently they respond that the application requires further information from the applicant which delays things significantly.

you must have an approved d1 form PRIOR to treatment/exam.
There is NO requirement on dentist to refund money for treatment provided prior to approval.

If they overcharged surely they would have to refund the difference, as I mentioned earlier price I paid was supposedly the prsi rate.

you are a private patient until you have approved form and in it's absence there is no requirement to refund.

you are a private patient until you have approved form and in it's absence there is no requirement to refund.

1. The form is only available from dentists who insist on sending off themselves.

2. price quoted was rate after being approved instead of 103 as mentioned earlier.

To people who are unhappy with their dentist (and live in Dublin) -

I use Joseph Kilroy on Henry Street in Dublin 1. He cleans my teeth for free twice a year, handles all the paperwork, is a nice "non-alarmist" dentist, and doesn't do any of that sleazy trying to figure out how much you earn tactic which lots of Dentists seem to do...

that sleazy trying to figure out how much you earn tactic which lots of Dentists seem to do...
over 55k is balance bill on all items
not a tactic........it is how the scheme operates.
Please address your concerns to the DSFCA.

over 55k is balance bill on all items
not a tactic........it is how the scheme operates.
Please address your concerns to the DSFCA.

No, what I mean is - they are trying to figure out what optional work you can afford.

You can always tell by someone's tone if they're being innocent or sleazy...

Hi, just regarding hotdogsfolks post- i actually went to the same dentist and got charged for the "special clean" which took all of five minutes. was very upset at my treatment there

Went to my dentist the other week for a checkup and clean/polish. He also took x rays and thankfully found no problems. All covered by PRSI which his secretary had cleared/processed for me in advance. While there I heard her calling another patient to tell them that they were not covered by PRSI and informing them what the private patient charges were.

Can someone clarify. I visit my dentist every 6 months, thankfully in the past 6 years this has only involved a "good Clean" (his words not mine). Previously there was no charge for this service, but some years ago they began to charge me €30, I am also required to sign a blank department of ...... form. On my visit last week the charge has been put up to €40 again signed the claim form. The "clean" takes no more than 15 minutes, should I be charged for this service ? and is it up to the dentist what they charge and also what they claim from the department (given I'm signing a blank form!!!!).

Can someone clarify. I visit my dentist every 6 months, thankfully in the past 6 years this has only involved a "good Clean" (his words not mine). Previously there was no charge for this service, but some years ago they began to charge me €30
Have you not asked the dentist what this charge is for? Have you not got receipts in case you can claim MED1/2 tax relief?
I am also required to sign a blank department of ...... form.
You are not required to do this - many GPs will process PRSI claims on behalf of the patient in advance of a consultation but you could presumably do this yourself if you wanted to.

clubman...
where do you get the form to do this yourself and how long does it take... i have been charged the same as Macer for a regular cleaning! i have an appt on 2 july... will i have time to have this cleared before i go?

Ok need to go to the dentist again soon :( Went for the first time in 13 years back in Jan to get my first fillings. Was waiting till covered paritally by PRSI it cost around €90 for filling which I thought was expensive. I need a couple of more and my sister went to another dentist who charged €40 per filling no PRSI Cover(sounds too cheap) so what should I be expecting to pay in Dublin been cover paritally by PRSI?
ANy reason I cannot change Dentist only been to the other one twice one for initial checkup - second time for a couple of fillings. Picked him because he was closest.

Ok need to go to the dentist again soon :( Went for the first time in 13 years back in Jan to get my first fillings. Was waiting till covered paritally by PRSI it cost around €90 for filling which I thought was expensive. I need a couple of more and my sister went to another dentist who charged €40 per filling no PRSI Cover(sounds too cheap) so what should I be expecting to pay in Dublin been cover paritally by PRSI?
ANy reason I cannot change Dentist only been to the other one twice one for initial checkup - second time for a couple of fillings. Picked him because he was closest.

Dentists can charge pretty much what they like for fillings and they do. There is very little benefit to be obtained through prsi, just cheap extractions, one free chekup a year and one free cleaning anything else is more or less at the dentists discretion

Dentists can charge pretty much what they like for fillings and they do. There is very little benefit to be obtained through prsi, just cheap extractions, one free chekup a year and one free cleaning anything else is more or less at the dentists discretion

I suggest you refer to the actural PRSI entitlements for dental benefit, instead of merely "guessing".

PRSI patients qualify for discounted rates on the following:
Single compound / amalgam fillings
Composite anterior fillings
Pin retained fillings
Angle / Inscisal tip fillings
Extractions
Endodontic treatment
Apicetomy
Partial dentures
Denture relines (upper / lower)
Denture repairs.
Hygiene visits (protracted gum / periodontal treament).

The discount you are entitled to on all the above is fixed, nationwide.
The balance you pay to your dentist however, is at their discretion.

You can visit your dentist and request a D1 / D2 form and a free post envelope. Complete your details, mark the form " for approval" and retirn to Letterkenny. You will receive details of your qulaification status and so will your nominated dentist, once it has been processed and approved.

If you are unsure of any costings, why not ask your dentist when you are with them and your propsed treatment plan has been put to you???

Back