Do children inherit their parent's social housing?

Discussion in 'Housing and mortgage arrears - policy issues' started by Brendan Burgess, Sep 9, 2017.

  1. Brendan Burgess

    Brendan Burgess Founder

    Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    I am reading the Dublin City Council Housing Allocation Scheme and this astonishes me.

    "1.5 Succession to Tenancy

    Where death or departure of a tenant takes place, the tenancy will normally be given to a surviving spouse/partner, provided:

    · such spouse/partner has been resident in the dwelling for a continuous period of at least two years immediately prior to the death/departure of the tenant.

    On the death or departure of both parents the tenancy will normally be given to a son or daughter, irrespective of number in the household, provided

    · he/she has been living in the dwelling for at least two years immediately prior to the death or departure of the tenant

    However, departure of the tenant by way of purchasing or providing own accommodation will, not be grounds for a child over 18 years to remain in the dwelling and apply for succession.

    A person other than a spouse, partner, son or daughter who has resided in the dwelling for at least fiveyears immediately prior to the death or departure of the tenant may be allowed to succeed where:

    · there is no spouse, partner, son or daughter eligible to succeed and

    · where the dwelling size is appropriate to his/her needs."

    So a couple with three children get allocated a 3 bed house.
    The children leave
    The father dies
    The mother gets to stay in a three bed house on her own.
    One of the children moves back in.
    The mother dies.
    The child gets the house irrespective of their housing needs!!!

    I had heard of a case recently in Ringsend where a single man with a very good salary had moved back in with his mother so that he would get the house. I had assumed it was just an urban myth.

    Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  2. Brendan Burgess

    Brendan Burgess Founder

    Cork City Council's Allocation Scheme seems more fit for purpose:

    9.3 In cases where all of the tenants of a dwelling provided by Cork City Council
    have died or vacated the dwelling, Cork City Council shall consider an
    application for a tenancy from the following:

    (a) a person who has continued to reside in the dwelling throughout his
    lifetime and who has been assessed for rent purposes, or,
    (b) a person who having left the dwelling for a period, has resided in the
    dwelling with the tenant with the permission of Cork City Council for
    a period of at least 2 years prior to the death or departure of the tenant.

    Where there are two or more surviving persons who meet the criteria at (a) or
    (b) above, a joint tenancy may be granted by Cork City Council.
  3. niceoneted

    niceoneted Frequent Poster

    Yes it happens Brendan. My sil got it when my mil passed away. I was shocked too by what happened.
  4. Delboy

    Delboy Frequent Poster

    I'm shocked that your shocked by this Brendan!

    Perhaps it's not so obvious in the city but in my part of rural Ireland I know of several instances of this happening.
  5. Monbretia

    Monbretia Frequent Poster

    As Delboy says not remotely uncommon in my part of rural Ireland either.

    My MIL moved to nursing home and subsequently died after a few years, her sons automatically stayed on in property until one died and then the remaining one was there until his death. Now that was a house that reared 5 children and in theory he could have been moved to a smaller property when on his own but there are no smaller council properties in rural Ireland, no apartment blocks with single occupancy or even double occupancy units.

    That particular house has since been totally revamped by Council and still lies empty at least a year later, several offers have been made on it to people but today's expectations of suitable space are very different to my in laws days and those offered have declined it on the basis of being too small for a family. No one these days is prepared to have a kitchen that is smaller than most utility rooms and just 2 bedrooms so the house lies empty.

    So while the ideal would be that there was other suitable housing stock of correct size available in the locality to move people too what are the chances of this!
  6. Brendan Burgess

    Brendan Burgess Founder

    After the tenant dies, the children or other residents should take their place on the housing list.

    In the particular case you describe, it would have made sense to leave the two adult sons there. There would have been little point in moving them out just to leave the house empty.

    But three bed houses in the cities are in very short supply. And the children should not "inherit" them giving them priority over people who may have much greater housing needs.

  7. Purple

    Purple Frequent Poster

    The real kick is that it is not income related. You can be a single person earning €150,000 a year and have a 3 bedroom council house.

    This is a great little country!
  8. pudds

    pudds Frequent Poster

    But isn't the rent determined by how much you can afford to pay, does that not act as a form of mean testing?
  9. Tebbit

    Tebbit Frequent Poster

    Surely a person earning 150,000 a year or indeed 80,000 a year wouldn't have a council house????? I can't believe that.
  10. Delboy

    Delboy Frequent Poster

    You donn't get kicked out so in theory, yes you could have grown up there and now be on a good salary and still have the council house.
    I'd say it's rare down the country and slightly less rare in the cities. But it is possible
  11. Protocol

    Protocol Frequent Poster

    There is a TD living in council social housing.

    I think in Wicklow.
  12. Kramer

    Kramer Frequent Poster