Discussion: Why are people paying the local property tax (LPT )?

Unpaid household charges will increase to 300€ this amount if unpaid at year end will be handed over to revenue for collection

I don't think you really understand democracy
I'll agree and add to this.

We are a democracy with about 4.5m citizens. We have elected successive governments who, apart from from anything else, have made decisions as to the amount of money we are willing to pay for health, education and social welfare. The decisions made provide us with a certain standard of living that is quite high, even by western world standards.

The funny thing is that, as a group, we are not funding our day to day living costs from our own resources / income, but rather borrowing money. Not alone can this not continue forever, but we'll actually have to reduce future living standards to repay borrowings used to maintain current living standards.

Our choices are:
1) continue to prop up current living standards through borrowings at the expense of future generations,
2) Reduce current living standards,
3) Pay more tax.

We are at our internationally acceptable limits on 1) and have elected a government that decides the balance between 2) and 3).

In short, the property tax isn't about fairness, it's about Ireland, as a society, paying its way and this means balancing our taxes against the cost of running the country.

I accept we need to help where we can and in the last few years the USC was introduced along with bin charges and soon to be water rates. I have no problem pay for a service but I fail to see what LPT is going to be used for.

The USC simply replaced two previous levies - it is NOT a new tax, and many people pay no more direct taxes due to the USC.

As said before, the LPT will be used to pay for LA services

Local roads
Libraries
Swimming pools
Water services
Street lighting
Etc., Etc.

I believe the government is elected to run the country based upon the will of the people (or something like that !!) and this can only be legal if the people of Ireland accept it. We have seen how the grey voter can turn a decision, with that idea i presume that most people belive in this tax I am wondering why people are accepting this.

The Govt have a large majority in the Dail.

A few more comments.

Q - Oldnick..
I slightly shudder when people state that one must obey the law because it's the law.

I shake when I hear that mentality !
Just because it's law does not make it right or just !
If anything the burden lumped on the people is against the law!

Q - Oldnick..
I slightly shudder when people state that one must obey the law because it's the law.

I shake when I hear that mentality !
Just because it's law does not make it right or just !
If anything the burden lumped on the people is against the law!

Sorry that makes no sense - society wouldn't function very well if we all could just pick and choose the laws we agree with and obey them!

In a democracy with freedom of speech, people can organise campaigns and protests against laws/policies they disagree with, and they can use their vote to see change implemented that reflects the democratic majority - that's how I'd have thought democracy is supposed to work anyway?

No it wont....they have no idea who has paid or not paid this charge, the councils who were supposed to be collecting these payments have no idea how to go about collecting it or providing to Revenue a list of who hasn't paid, the Database they used was/is flawed.

The household Tax on the other hand although the system is still flawed, ie. People getting letters when they are not the actual property owner etc. and the inflated values of the properties in a lot of cases, this will have to be paid one way or another!

Unpaid household charges will increase to 300€ this amount if unpaid at year end will be handed over to revenue for collection

Wake up.
Its not a LPT, its just another type of income tax that goes straight to the revenue and back to europe, it will not help your council one bit.

Wake up.
Its not a LPT, its just another type of income tax that goes straight to the revenue and back to europe, it will not help your council one bit.

Looks like you're the one who's dreaming - can you explain how it's an income tax please?

It taxes your income.

Hmmmm, have you been at the sherry these evening?!

It absolutely doesn't tax income.

If I have zero income but I own a house, I'll be liable to pay the tax (though it can be deferred on grounds of insufficient income). That by definition is not a tax on income.

If you think otherwise you'll have to show your workings...!? ;)

I think that meepman's point is that this may not all be used for the amenities in which the property is situated. That is, it is not purely a local property tax.

His other point may be property taxes do take into consideration one's income in so much as the property was bought by the proceeds of income (unless stolen or won).

After all, proponents of property taxes often proclaim that those with dearer properties should pay more than those with cheaper properties because they "can afford it".
The logic of their argument seems to be that due to higher incomes they bought a dearer property and should therefore pay more.

Otherwise why should one with a 500k house pay more than 100k house for the same local amenities.? Does not income play any role in how much one pays ?

Semantically meepman was wrong , but I understand how he made the statement he did..

No sign of an unruly revolution so I'm paying it.

However, if we keep going at this rate I'd prefer to see the current income tax system scrapped and replaced with a flat tax on all income.

We are a democracy with about 4.5m citizens. We have elected successive governments who, apart from from anything else, have made decisions as to the amount of money we are willing to pay for health, education and social welfare. The decisions made provide us with a certain standard of living that is quite high, even by western world standards.

The funny thing is that, as a group, we are not funding our day to day living costs from our own resources / income, but rather borrowing money. Not alone can this not continue forever, but we'll actually have to reduce future living standards to repay borrowings used to maintain current living standards.

Our choices are:
1) continue to prop up current living standards through borrowings at the expense of future generations,
3) Pay more tax.

We are at our internationally acceptable limits on 1) and have elected a government that decides the balance between 2) and 3).

In short, the property tax isn't about fairness, it's about Ireland, as a society, paying its way and this means balancing our taxes against the cost of running the country.[/QUOTE]

+1

Excellent analysis of where we are.

Regarding point 1, while our level of borrowing may be at the limit of what is internationally acceptable. I think the thinking behind this acceptability is flawed.

There will be no demographic dividend to reduce the burden of paying this debt. Inflation in the coming years is also unlikely to erode the debt to any significant extent.

Our choices are:
3) Pay more tax.

In short, the property tax isn't about fairness, it's about Ireland, as a society, paying its way and this means balancing our taxes against the cost of running the country.

Points 2 and 3 in Kaiser's post are pretty well the same thing.

More germane is the fact (well, opinion) that continually increasing taxes -and thus reducing spending - may actually have the opposite effect to that intended.
Without repeating all the pros and cons of austerity as a solution to getting Ireland out of the mire it seems that fewer experts now believe that taxing and taxing the ordinary citizen is the solution to our problems.

And this is separate from the psychological effect that slapping one tax/charge after another has on the people of this country.

I'll pay the wretched LPT because I'm a coward, not because I think it has - at this stage - any merit, nor because I think it's the "democratic" thing to do.
(Democratically, we voted for parties that said they would not impose it !)

its not a fair tax as some of you have put it, i will be in the B category but if i was living in a city my house would be valued higher and have to pay more even if i was earning the same whats fair about that.

In the city you have lots of public transport, you do not need a car, or a 2nd car as some families need this to get to work.

its not a fair tax as some of you have put it, i will be in the B category but if i was living in a city my house would be valued higher and have to pay more even if i was earning the same whats fair about that.

That is the whole point of an SVT.

You pay a higher tax if your site value is higher. A SVT ignore the building on the site, and looks at the value of the site itself.

If your site in within 3km, say, of O'Connell street, then your site value is higher, as you have easier access to more publicly-provided amenities.

So you pay a higher SVT property tax.

Of course, the new LPT is not a SVT. It should have been, but of course the Govt took the easier route, and use the property value as the basis for taxation.

Life isn't fair but I'd imagine you can always find something to be happy about instead. I despise paying the tax, I can't influence how the money is spent and I don't have a choice so I'm paying it. Instead I'm trying to divert my energy to concentrate on positive things that make me feel good like being lucky to have good health, a family, friends, the dawn chorus and a lovely sunrise this morning..

Back