Dinner for two people

CCOVICH said:
And for all the difference between 2 half pints and a pint, it is 'mean' or at least penny pinching to order a pint and split it in 2-but each to their own, who cares?
I'd call that prudent rather than mean or penny pinching. ;)

In fairness, doesn't the pub have to wash an extra glass for two half-pints. I can see how a small extra charge is justified. I agree that it is mean to pour a pint into two glasses, although it wouldn't have been beyond me in my earlier drinking career!! :)

Rebecca

MissRibena said:
In fairness, doesn't the pub have to wash an extra glass for two half-pints. I can see how a small extra charge is justified. I agree that it is mean to pour a pint into two glasses, although it wouldn't have been beyond me in my earlier drinking career!! :)

Rebecca

So now you're more experienced and able to knock back 10 full ones a night eh? Mighty.;)

MissRibena said:

Rebecca
They may have to wash three if somebody buys a pint and then decants it into two separate half pint glasses! ;)

CCOVICH said:
Legend 99 said the guy was 'legendary' and a 'legend'-that hardly qualifies as berating someone, does it?

No, but he said he was mean. That does.

And for all the difference between 2 half pints and a pint, it is 'mean' or at least penny pinching to order a pint and split it in 2-but each to their own, who cares?

The difference could be as much as 15%. That may not mean much to you but it does to plenty. If the price of a single pint was raised to the combined price ot two half-pints, people would be up-in-arms about "rip-off Ireland" but it seems they'd rather pay through the nose than risk being considered mean.

By splitting a single pint into two, this guy has circumvented the ridculous situation whereby two half pints can cost more than a pint. As part of his encouragement to address Ireland's rip-off culture, Eddie Hobbs suggested that people should order a round of pint glasses of water as a means of making a statement.

If this is such a good idea, what's wrong with ordering a pint with a separate half pint glass.

MissRibena said:
Maybe they were doing my trick:

Boyfriend to Ribena: Will you have a starter / dessert?
Ribena to Boyfriend: Oh no, not me. I'm on a diet / I'm full / I couldn't possibly
Starter / Dessert arrives
Ribena to Boyfriend: Can I just have a teeny weeny taste? (bats eyelashes and proceeds to eat the lions share)

Rebecca
It's a real giveaway when she asks the waiter for a 2nd spoon.

ClubMan said:
Good one Magoo - I always suspected that many of the "rip-off Ireland" merchants were all talk and no action. :)

???????

Are you suggesting that I contradicted myself by saying that the practice of splitting a pint was 'penny pinching' or 'mean', but then give out about the pricing practices of certain pubs? Or are you just kidding (is that what the smile is for???)? I'm a little slow this morning (didn't take the prudent approach to pints last night I'm afraid;))

Magoo: If you think that splitting pints is the solution to "RoI", that's fine. I have already said 'each to their own'. Another poster has outlined why pubs might charge a higher price for half pints than would be the case if you halved the cost of a pint. But this sort of pricing is evident everywhere. Return tickets on public transport? Or on airlines? 9 holes of golf (that I'm off to play myself)? Half a loaf of bread? A half litre/pint of milk? And this isn't just confined to Ireland. Need I go on?

Half and half. Calling it penny pinching and mean seems a bit pejorative to me whereas, in the light of your other post, you should really be giving the punter credit for doing his bit to circumvent alleged pub rip-offs.

MissRibena said:
Maybe they were doing my trick:

Boyfriend to Ribena: Will you have a starter / dessert?
Ribena to Boyfriend: Oh no, not me. I'm on a diet / I'm full / I couldn't possibly
Starter / Dessert arrives
Ribena to Boyfriend: Can I just have a teeny weeny taste? (bats eyelashes and proceeds to eat the lions share)

Rebecca

Flip, my girlfriend has been posting here for years as MissRibena & I never knew it ;) :D :D :D ... either that, or else this is something women learn in primary school and never forget ;)

Getting back to the original post and mention of the 2 people eating one meal, I dont have any problem with it, although I guess I would possibly assume they can't afford 2 meals or something ... probably the wrong way to think, but still if I'm to be honest thats it.

There is also the thinking that perhaps, the 2 people were either:

A) not that hungry
B) not in the mood for paying Irish prices, given eating out tends to be significantly cheaper elsewhere ... Rip Off Ireland strikes again !

Cheers

G>
http://www.rpoints.com/newbie

So, another three possible reasons as to why they were sharing a single meal. There are probably lots more reasonable explanations. To speculate as to their motivation is pretty pointless. To attribute their behaviour to any specific reason (e.g. "rip-off Ireland") is meaningless. Besides, it's their own business.

ClubMan said:
.... Besides, it's their own business.

Eh, not since it was posted here and ran into a 2 page thread it ain't ;) :D

I do like the idea mentioned above, that is offed in the Tolka House, where you can order a "small" portion. Perhaps this is the real solution to one of the problems, offer 2 or 3 different size portions, on different size plates, at different prices ? :)

Regards

G>
http://www.rpoints.com/newbie

ClubMan said:
Half and half. Calling it penny pinching and mean seems a bit pejorative to me whereas, in the light of your other post, you should really be giving the punter credit for doing his bit to circumvent alleged pub rip-offs.

Fair enough. But I don't feel obliged to give anyone credit for saving money on their purchases, why should I? I've already said 'each to their own'.

I'm not alleging that the price of a half pint is a rip-off, but I don't feel that doesn't bar me from feeling that other aspects of pub prices are rip offs, as I outlined here. And I've outlined my own course of action in the same thread.

In general, I certainly don't mean to insult (whether pejoratively or otherwise) anyone (except maybe DART drivers), but maybe I have to choose my words more carefully, as I seem to be giving that impression to some people on this site.

And I don't consider myself to be a "rip off Ireland" merchant, in fact I'm not selling anything, on this site, or anywhere else for that matter ;).

Back