Dinner for two people

franmac

Called in to a hotel on Sunday last for a carvery lunch and while I was enjoying my meal I happened to glance at a table across from me and there was a couple of non nationals sharing one plate with two forks so I thought ah well thats the way they do things.
Continued eating my own meal and happened to look to my right and spotted a middle aged Irish couple doing exactly the same thing, mind you they had a pint of lager each to accompany the shared meal.

Is this a new trend or is the particular hotel over generous with their portions?

Did you eat a single portion on your own? Was it sufficient or too much for you? You say that you enjoyed it. Surely that's what matters regardless of what others - non national or native - do? What did you pay for it? Where is this hotel so that I can try it out?

ClubMan said:
Did you eat a single portion on your own? Was it sufficient or too much for you? You say that you enjoyed it. Surely that's what matters regardless of what others - non national or native - do? What did you pay for it? Where is this hotel so that I can try it out?

Hey Clubman, If I bring my fork will you pay? :D

I have often asked for a second plate for one of my children to share my dinner with them .... maybe the diners you saw were just taking it one step further.

It is one matter to ask for a second plate to have a child eat something, but people paying for one meal and the using two forks for one plate is the limit!

Alba Longa said:
It is one matter to ask for a second plate to have a child eat something, but people paying for one meal and the using two forks for one plate is the limit!

If the hotel gives set portions then I don't see the problem. If it was a self service type carvery then it may be a bit cheeky as you could really heap it on the plate if you were getting for two.

ClubMan said:

I did eat my full dinner but I had asked for just one roast potatoe and two scoops of mash and was quite satisfied.
I was not complaining about what other people were doing, just passing comment and thought it might be a conversation topic, is that not what this site is about?

Venue is Park House Hotel in Edgeworthstown and the menu consists of Turkey & Ham, Braised Steak in gravy,Lasagne and there was another main course which I can't remember, all comes with two veg, roast & mash potatoes
Cost of meals Euro 9.50. Good value!

Er what seems to be the problem these people paid someone else for a good. They consumed the good end of story. Would you suggest we introduce rules to ensure we're ripped off?

i don't see anything wrong with this. I have never seen signs at a carvery saying a plate of food must be consumed by only on person. Maybe they were tourists who found Irish prices so high they were cost cutting.

Maybe they were doing my trick:

Boyfriend to Ribena: Will you have a starter / dessert?
Ribena to Boyfriend: Oh no, not me. I'm on a diet / I'm full / I couldn't possibly
Starter / Dessert arrives
Ribena to Boyfriend: Can I just have a teeny weeny taste? (bats eyelashes and proceeds to eat the lions share)

Rebecca

My Dad was telling me about this legendary mean guy who used live near him when he was young....the guy and his wife would go to the bar, order a pint and get an empty half pint glass....they'd then fill the 1/2 pint one from the pint one to end up with half each as the full pint was a couple of pence cheaper than 2 seperate 1/2 pints...legend that the guy was.

Actually, i remember too in Cork that there was a bit of uproar a while back abotu kiddies portions.....adults askign for kiddies meal and being refused. I think the office of consumer affairs got involved and i think the place can refuse to serve an adult a kids portion provided they have indicated this on the menu..not sure where it ended up going though..anyone else rmember this?

MissRibena said:
Maybe they were doing my trick:

Boyfriend to Ribena: Will you have a starter / dessert?
Ribena to Boyfriend: Oh no, not me. I'm on a diet / I'm full / I couldn't possibly
Starter / Dessert arrives
Ribena to Boyfriend: Can I just have a teeny weeny taste? (bats eyelashes and proceeds to eat the lions share)

Rebecca

Every woman I've ever known does this :)

In fact, the more brazen girl will just say no thanks...I'll just eat yours instead!!

Gabriel said:

In fact, the more brazen girl will just say no thanks...I'll just eat yours instead!!

Or, I'll get a dessert only if you're having one.

Legend99
We often go to the Tolka house who serve half portions, as opposed to calling them kiddies portions. The small plates are still piled high. It works very well obviously for kiddies but also for some senior citizens, as often the standard portions (oval plates) are just way too big.

Personally I'd be a bit embarrassed sharing a main plate with my hubbie. Would much prefer to have the option of buying a small portion.

Gabriel said:

I'd never do this and I'd kill anyone who tried to eat my food - I ordered it for a reason!!!

Yeah - I remember the Tolka House portions being pretty huge alright. We always managed one each though! :eek:

Mrs Dara said:
Legend99
We often go to the Tolka house who serve half portions, as opposed to calling them kiddies portions. The small plates are still piled high. It works very well obviously for kiddies but also for some senior citizens, as often the standard portions (oval plates) are just way too big.

Personally I'd be a bit embarrassed sharing a main plate with my hubbie. Would much prefer to have the option of buying a small portion.

or for those of us trying to get fit and lose weight after 6 years inactivity its also good..many pubs i go to for lunch have big NO HALF PORTIONS signs up...

franmac said:
I was not complaining about what other people were doing, just passing comment and thought it might be a conversation topic, is that not what this site is about?

I thought the site was more about personal finance actually!

legend99 said:
My Dad was telling me about this legendary mean guy who used live near him when he was young....the guy and his wife would go to the bar, order a pint and get an empty half pint glass....they'd then fill the 1/2 pint one from the pint one to end up with half each as the full pint was a couple of pence cheaper than 2 seperate 1/2 pints...legend that the guy was.

Maybe he wasn't being mean. Maybe he just was just acting on a point of principle that the price of two half pints shouldn't exceed the price of a pint.

We can't complain about rip-off Ireland if we're going to berate every guy who attempts to do something about it.

Legend 99 said the guy was 'legendary' and a 'legend'-that hardly qualifies as berating someone, does it?

And for all the difference between 2 half pints and a pint, it is 'mean' or at least penny pinching to order a pint and split it in 2-but each to their own, who cares?

Back