Did anyone of you open an account with one the biggest german banks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously looking at opening a German A/C. Assuming I manage to open one, might I ask a very basic question?

God forbid Ireland goes under, is there any risk of Revenue/IMF coming looking for my overseas's account? Thanks.

Seriously looking at opening a German A/C. Assuming I manage to open one, might I ask a very basic question?

God forbid Ireland goes under, is there any risk of Revenue/IMF coming looking for my overseas's account? Thanks.

They would have to get an international court order to freeze/confiscate your assets. As far as I am aware such a court order can only be obtained or enforced if the money is proven to be the proceeds of criminal or terrorist activity. One of the reasons why Switzerland "ignores" court orders for information on accounts used in tax evasion is because tax evasion is not classed a crime in Switzerland.
Unless you have very large amounts of money with very large amounts of interest income I think it will be next to impossible for Revenue to get at the money.

Have been following this and similar threads for several weeks now and have decided it would be wise to move my savings to a more secure location given the talk of possible default or leaving Euro. I intend to open an account in Germany. Have booked cheap flights (€95) and 1 night hotel (€65) in Berlin and made an appointment with a Deutsche bank branch near the hotel. Small price to pay for peace of mind. They were very helpful on the phone. All I require is passport and proof of address to open deposit account. Going at end of month. Will let you know how I fare.

let me know your hotel name as I am going to do the same later in the month.....thanks and safe deposit

Hotel Gat Point Charlie located in Mitte and close to Friedrichstrasse branch of DB. Booked on hotels.com. Checked tripadvisor reviews etc and looks decent enough for the money.

Mr Noonan, who has opposed “burning” bondholders in the main Irish banks, owns German government bonds paying a modest 1.75 per cent rate of interest and maturing in 2020, according to his entry in the register.

Noonan is 68,thats a long wait for someone who will be 77 when they mature.
Completely overlooking the fact that he is cute enough not to leave his money in Irish banks this strikes me as a conflict of interest.

Sad that these news came into light... Exactly when Ireland needs a boost of trust from its own politicians... :(

Certainly I can't talk too much on this, with our italian prime minister who apparently went to bed with a less than 18 years old girl... :(

My God... Weird times...

Well done Persius with DKB! :)

I'm going to fly to Germany within the next 4 weeks and I've in plan to apply for 3 accounts along this list just to diversify:
http://www.finanzen-informationsportal.de/bankkonten/tagesgeldkonten-vergleich.php

I already managed to previously open an account with DKB.

I'll let you know once I've clearer news... Give me some time... Thanks

From that list I contacted Volkswagen Bank via email. They told me they will open a Tagesgeldkonto for non residents so long as they have a German Girokonto. 2.2% interest isn't too bad, but I don't know anything more about the bank. If I'm sent over there again for work, I think I'll try to open an account with them as I have my DKB Girokonto already.

Let us know how you get on.

Hi Persius, I'll try to apply at same time (a bit of money in each account) for 1822direkt, comdirect, VW Bank, Cortal Consors and Sparkasse Broker and they all need a Girokonto as base account (and I'm with DKB already). I'll let you know but I'll have a fly to Germany in a few weeks (so busy!)...

Hi Yorky, if you go reading all this entire thread you can see that some people managed to get an account opened here with Deutsche Bank and some other (like me) was lucky enough to open an account with DKB remotely. Happy reading! :)

Modestus2416

Burmo
I was very interested to hear what you have to say about your experience with DB in Hamburg.Can you confirm again that are able to get your funds sent back to Ireland without having to use the current account -is it done by internet banking .ie did the give you a Pin No etc or are the monies sent back by the bank electronically to your Irish Account at your request over the phone -do you still have to keep open the current account and instant access savings account ?

Godfather
I find it hard to believe that DKB will only open an account for Irish people unless they speak German-would they not be losing a lot of potential business ?
Did you manage to make contact with someone in DKB who was willing to speak English with you ?

Godfather
I find it hard to believe that DKB will only open an account for Irish people unless they speak German-would they not be losing a lot of potential business ?

Excellent point. I've just removed the comment "but I can speak good German" from my last post. But some managed to open the account with DKB, some others didn't so you better "sell your application form" well with them! :)

Did you manage to make contact with someone in DKB who was willing to speak English with you ?

Yes, from time to time I managed to talk with some customer service representatives who could speak a good english, but the one that called me back to investigate on my application form could only speak in German and I managed to convince him that I couldn't trust anymore neither the italian nor the irish economy... Thank God I passed the exam...

Hi everyone, I went to a german post office and did put requests for savings accounts with:
- 1822direkt
- comdirect
- VW Bank
- Sparkasse Broker
- Cortal Consors

...which are listed in this link:
http://www.finanzen-informationsportal.de/bankkonten/tagesgeldkonten-vergleich.php

All of them need a German Girokonto as base for withdrawals: I've one with DKB.de

My German was very basic (just a few sentences prepared in anticipation) but the post office did my "Postident" with no problem.

Now: will they accept my application forms? Time will tell... :confused:

UFC
Are the transfers to DB working properly now over the internet-did you open the account in DB in person in Germany or was it through the internet /post/phone?

Alpine
Are your transfers going smooth with DB-did you open a term deposit account with them and what is the penalty if you transfer money back to your Irish account or did they insist you have a current account as well to withdraw?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back