Did anyone of you open an account with one the biggest german banks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which bank

I am travelling to Germany next week.

Can someonrap lease advise me which bank to open an account with.

Thanks Guys for the replies, but I don't understand the code. So I guess what I'm asking is:
I don't want to take on FX risk but want to protect my Euros. I have an a/c with Keytrade in Belgium but I feel thats not much better than an Irish bank a/c if a breakup came. So I want to go to the strongest country - Germany. Now that I've zoned in on that bit what is the best option there?
I know I can open a DB a/c in 1 day but how strong/solid is it?
Are there stronger Bank Deposit options? I'm not too concerned about interest rate it's security I'm after.
Also how would I go about buying German Bunds as an alternative? Is it possible from here? Or could I do it in a day trip to Germany?

Can someone please tell me what happens if the euro currency disappears and if one has some savings in euro, am i correct in thinking that it will be converted into punt?
Carra.

word on the street is that in the event of a euro breakup accounts throughout the eurozone in euro belonging to a person with an Irish address would very likely be converted to punt nua. You can't escape this by staying in euros.

Its a possibility, but a small one id imagine unless you have real information to show otherwise?

Some bigger fish than us would likely have a lot to say about that

Its a possibility, but a small one id imagine unless you have real information to show otherwise?

Some bigger fish than us would likely have a lot to say about that

There is no real information about anything these days, all this is unwritten, it's never happened before, anything and everything is possible, no one can give you a definite answer or know for sure. Just putting it out there that this may not be the safe bet people think it is.

word on the street is that in the event of a euro breakup accounts throughout the eurozone in euro belonging to a person with an Irish address would very likely be converted to punt nua. You can't escape this by staying in euros.

accounts held in germany fall under the german regulatory jurisdiction not any "eurozone" jurisdiction. the word on that particular street seems rather far fetched.

Yorky that a fair point, but wherever it ended up it would still be stronger than what we are left with I think. The exporters group in Germany only last week suggested they could live with a stronger currency.

Has anyone considered that in the event of Germany exiting the Euro, it would be in their interests for the new currency to significantly devalue considering their dependence on exports?

Any foreign deposits held there could well be worth less than they would be in the holders domiciled country

yes it would be in their interest but it would be largely out of their control. investors would pile onto a new DM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back