Delays in rolling out vaccine

How long does it take for the Booster jab to take effect? I think it was two weeks for the first two jabs.....is the booster any quicker?
Its a bit uncertain... starts kicking in after 1 week but 2 weeks to be sure:
The HSE said that clinical studies show boosters are very effective at preventing illness 1-2 weeks after they are administered.

Its a bit uncertain... starts kicking in after 1 week but 2 weeks to be sure:
The HSE said that clinical studies show boosters are very effective at preventing illness 1-2 weeks after they are administered.

Just to add to this, the increased protection offered depends on the level of antibodies already present in the person's immune system.
Additionally the level of protection differs on the type of booster you get and what vaccines you originally got.
For example 2 AZ then Pfizer booster seems to increase antibodies by x25, Pfizer 2 leads to x8 increase.
Moderna apparently gives x32 increase and the UK are administering half doses.

These are based on boosters given after 3 months and effects noted after one month.

Like everything its unknown but each person is unique and the strength or weakness of immune systems will dictate the response to the booster, but its known that they do work well and the study that found these figures was conducted in the UK with 3000 participants.

Edit, I would imagine, and I'm no expert , that once you get a booster the effects would be quick as your immune system is already used to dealing with the vaccine and having more will ignite your immune system to work harder.

Last edited:
Moderna apparently gives x32 increase and the UK are administering half doses.
I hope to get my booster this week. Unfortunately, I do not know if I will be getting the Pfizer or Moderna. (Originally got 2 x AZ)

The UK giving half doses of Moderna. Is it too much to be given a full dose or is it because they are giving them out after 3 months. Mine will be after 5 months.....maybe I should only be getting a .75% dose?

I hope to get my booster this week. Unfortunately, I do not know if I will be getting the Pfizer or Moderna. (Originally got 2 x AZ)

The UK giving half doses of Moderna. Is it too much to be given a full dose or is it because they are giving them out after 3 months. Mine will be after 5 months.....maybe I should only be getting a .75% dose?
I only cited the UK as it was where the study was conducted and published.

You'll probably get Pfizer and hopefully get x28 times boost.

I'd say they are giving 50% to deliver more and more quickly.

One significant outlier in our approach is that the HSE are saying if you were vaccinated and had Covid, to wait 6 months for the booster. As far as I can see other countries are not doing the same thing (in the UK, they just ask if you are well and through any side-effects). With Omicron in circulation, that’s a long wait for the booster - I hope they re-think this as we must have a sizeable number of people in this category.

One significant outlier in our approach is that the HSE are saying if you were vaccinated and had Covid, to wait 6 months for the booster. As far as I can see other countries are not doing the same thing (in the UK, they just ask if you are well and through any side-effects). With Omicron in circulation, that’s a long wait for the booster - I hope they re-think this as we must have a sizeable number of people in this category.
Well the booster is approved for use after 6 months there is advice from NIAC that this should be 5 months, the HSE hasn't afaik, implemented that yet, although I did see that it must be at least 5 months since your second jab.

To be honest I find it confusing to what is the rule, is here.

The UK have their own regulations too, so they can do what they see fit.

Some UK papers are reporting that the antiviral pill will be available before Christmas, how true that is ,I dunno

5 months from your second vaccine.. The booster jabs are pfizer. I got mine last week from vaccination centre as a walk in. I Got called by local chemist to pop in for vaccine at the weekend.. I only put my name down a week earlier. Be proactive and don't wait to be called if you are 5 months passed second jab

Yes, but if you have had Covid post vaccine, they are saying wait 6 months after your positive test - so that can mean a year after your second jab before your booster. Seems very long to me…..

Yes, but if you have had Covid post vaccine, they are saying wait 6 months after your positive test - so that can mean a year after your second jab before your booster. Seems very long to me…..
This is because having Covid creates a natural immunity. HIQA said natural immunity lasts for 9 months, most international figures are 6 to 9 months.

But the new variant can and does infect people who had covid again, I would say that once we know the full extent of Omicron protocols might change. Now they are simply following the known science.

Last edited:
Got my booster yesterday at a walk in at Belfield UCD. Arrived a half hour before opening and about 100 people ahead of me. It was cold as we had to queue outside. Vaccination centre in the downstairs section of the Main Restaurant. It used to be in the O'Reilly Hall.

Many "Karens" tried to jump the queue by walking up to the top. Nobody was having any of it. The look on the faces of the entitled was priceless when they were told to go to the back of the queue. Unfortunately there was only one official tending to the outside queue. The centre was open for walk ins aged between 60 and 69, yet there were many under the age of 60.....these were questioned just as you entered the building.....

There was a smaller queue for those with appointments. Many people tried to join this queue but were asked for proof of their appointment. It was great to see many being sent to the back of the main queue that now numbered about 300.

An older lady in front of me had her filthy dirty mask below her nose the whole time she was there. She was told to cover her nose and was given a clean mask.

It took us an hour and ten minutes from starting to queue to leaving the building.

There was no social distancing, no wiping of seats where you sat for 15 minutes after.

There was not much room in this building, O'Reilly Hall would be more suitable. On leaving I would say that there were hundreds queuing all around the Campus.

I got my booster last Wednesday at a walk in clinic. I was due to get it on that day , but no word from HSE . It was very well managed as our vaccine certs were checked while in the queue and people who were there before their due date were told sorry but not today. Everyone wiped their seats down before they left after the fifteen minute wait . It was two hours from the time I joined the queue to the time I was out . When I was leaving the queue was three times as long. Great to see so many people there to avail of it. And still no word from the HSE. .

Got my booster yesterday at a walk in at Belfield UCD. Arrived a half hour before opening and about 100 people ahead of me. It was cold as we had to queue outside. Vaccination centre in the downstairs section of the Main Restaurant. It used to be in the O'Reilly Hall.

Many "Karens" tried to jump the queue by walking up to the top. Nobody was having any of it. The look on the faces of the entitled was priceless when they were told to go to the back of the queue. Unfortunately there was only one official tending to the outside queue. The centre was open for walk ins aged between 60 and 69, yet there were many under the age of 60.....these were questioned just as you entered the building.....

There was a smaller queue for those with appointments. Many people tried to join this queue but were asked for proof of their appointment. It was great to see many being sent to the back of the main queue that now numbered about 300.

An older lady in front of me had her filthy dirty mask below her nose the whole time she was there. She was told to cover her nose and was given a clean mask.

It took us an hour and ten minutes from starting to queue to leaving the building.

There was no social distancing, no wiping of seats where you sat for 15 minutes after.

There was not much room in this building, O'Reilly Hall would be more suitable. On leaving I would say that there were hundreds queuing all around the Campus.
Sounds like the people working in these centres are dealing with a lot.

Micheal Martin today saying people are not availing of the boosters as fast as they would like:

Nov 22-28: 208,000 booster appointments but only 80,000 turned up

Nov 29-Dec 05: 180,000 appointments but only 93,000 turned up

There is something not right here considering people are talking about 2 hour queues for walk ins and they are doing over 200,000 boosters a week. A lot of stories about people who can't cancel their appointment but that can't explain a 50% turn out for appointments.

You'd have to imaging that a lot of the no-shows availed of a walk-in booster and the system can't keep up (probably built on Access from Office XP:)).

A lot of stories about people who can't cancel their appointment but that can't explain a 50% turn out for appointments.
I heard of problems initially with appointment cancellations alright, you had to phone and the number provided was the general info hotline that cut you off after being on hold for a certain period. They've since separated that out and I believe the system was updated to handle replies to request an alternative time. Perhaps next step is to ask people to confirm they intend to take up the appointment.

Micheal Martin today saying people are not availing of the boosters as fast as they would like:

Nov 22-28: 208,000 booster appointments but only 80,000 turned up

Nov 29-Dec 05: 180,000 appointments but only 93,000 turned up

I think he was referring to those with appointments.

For instance, last Monday 6th, according to Ireland's data hub, 513 immuno-compromised booster doses were administered and 18,719 other booster doses.

I think large centres are putting the immuno-compromised off. Perhaps those who most need the booster shots cannot get to the centres.

I thought pharmacies were to deliver booster shots. Has this been abandoned?

Further up this thread Odyessey06 posted the plan 1.32m by the end of Dec , today the 7th we have 1m already done, the run rate would indicate they would do that 1.3 by next week or Christmas week.

If that many cancelled wouldn't the 1m be more like 800k .

Someone isn't recording properly

Back