Delays in rolling out vaccine

None of Paul Reid's explanations for the delay made much sense to me and some were plainly insulting (implying that other countries were "rushing" and endangering their populations). In the end, what it seems to boil down to is that those in charge didn't seem to want to interrupt their Christmas holidays even if that meant risking additional lives. That's deplorable by itself, and it makes it all the more difficult to convince the population that they should continue to take this disease seriously. What's also worrying is that no minister had the guts to publicly challenge the HSE over this.
Where did he say that or infer it? You seem to be critical of the HSE but seem to have no other suggestion on how it should be rolled out.

The HSE's decision to delay by five days would seem to suggest that its priorities are different. Fair enough, but why defend the indefensible?
Ireland was not under as much pressure as other countries. The UK covid numbers have been appalling for quite a while and even these numbers can't be trusted. The number of excess deaths in UK far exceed the number of officially reported covid deaths. So any reports coming from the UK authorities as to the degree of side effects or other negative data regarding the vaccine can't be trusted. The authorities here, due to much lower covid numbers, are in a position to wait a bit longer before starting administering the vaccine. They are monitoring very closely the vaccine effects in those other EU countries that have already started vaccinating before starting the process here.

Last edited:
"Vaccine in hospitals first over allergic reaction fears

The HSE's Chief Clinical Officer has said for the vaccine programme to be successful, it is not just a question of speed but of safety."

From RTE, tried to post link but I probably did something wrong.

Just to put it in perspective 25% is >2million
Last i heard we would take 2 months to do nursing homes !

Making simple comparisons with other countries can be deceptive. Israel is in the middle of an election campaign and so Netanyahu will make whatever promise he needs to make. At the height of the pandemic in late September, Israel was getting close to 7,000 new covid cases per day. Even now it's getting over 3,000 per day and climbing. So there is enormous pressure on Netanyahu to get the vaccinations done asap. He's the one who has claimed that they'll get 25% of the population vaccinated by the end of January and he'll throw all caution to the wind to make that happen. However, I've no doubt that Israel will vaccinate at a faster rate that us. Israel has a population of 9 million in a country that's less than one third the size of RoI and 93% are urban (RoI is 63% urban) so getting the vaccine distributed to more people in less time is much more likely.
I'd prefer safety over speed.

Making simple comparisons with other countries can be deceptive. Israel is in the middle of an election campaign and so Netanyahu will make whatever promise he needs to make. At the height of the pandemic in late September, Israel was getting close to 7,000 new covid cases per day. Even now it's getting over 3,000 per day and climbing. So there is enormous pressure on Netanyahu to get the vaccinations done asap...

What speed endangering safety have Israel or the EU countries vaccinating before us taken?
Do we have to go slower than our peers to be safe?

Israel aims to vaccinate 25% of population in a month; 250,000 had shots so far | The Times of Israel

Just to put it in perspective 25% is >2million
Last i heard we would take 2 months to do nursing homes ! :(
Maybe thats because they have entered another national lockdown, the virus is out of control and there's a general election in the offing.
A man died yesterday a short time after he was vaccinated, additionally the 250k shots given are one of 2.
8.6m population excluding the Arabic population.
Even at 500k a week thats 18 weeks at 250k a week is 36 weeks ..........and they are operating 24/7......not much room for delays.
Where did they get 20m doses anyway?

Source simple Google search, headlines are there.

Regarding Isreal the election is on the 12th of March and another story by Reuters said the isreal government want to be out of the pandemic by March , convenient.

Apparently Fink the Trump vaccine guru is asking the FDA to ask Pfizer to see if they can get 7 doses out of a vial, but the CDC in the USA says 5 from a vial......hmm who to believe?

Listening to news at 9am this morning, seems that there is a fear of litigation here in Ireland.

Israel has a population of 9 million in a country that's less than one third the size of RoI and 93% are urban (RoI is 63% urban) so getting the vaccine distributed to more people in less time is much more likely.
It's not really so much to do with distribution, but how quickly they are able to get the vaccine from the manufacturers, so more to do with their money and the upcoming elections than anything else.
Allegedly they already have over 3m doses in the country.

Getting a population vaccinated quickly is more likely in a population where most people live close to vaccination centers.

A man died in Israel yesterday shortly after getting his vaccine.

Same thing could happen here couldn't it?
Nothing whatsoever to suggest it had anything to do with the speed of rollout of the vaccine.

We seem to have to go slower here than elsewhere, citing safety is a red herring unless Paul Reid can cite specific corners being cut elsewhere that are not being cut here.

Back