Deed of Confirmation

lemon1984

We are purchasing a property and I received a gift from my parents towards the purchase price. Its a gift as they plan to do the same for each of my siblings when they go to buy a house.

Our lender has requested a Deed of Confirmation be completed for this, but did not provide one in either of the loan packs. Our solicitor is on holidays up until the day we sign contracts so I'm just trying to get information in case there is anything I could be doing in the meantime. The receptionist for our Solicitor is working and said that for a Deed of Confirmation my parents would have to get independent legal advice and sign with another solicitor but couldn't give any additional information until our Solicitor is back.

Is this Deed of Confirmation something our Solicitor would draft and my parents sign with their Solicitor, something their own Solicitor should draft for them, or something the lender should have provided?

Very rough estimate how much could it possibly cost for them to get their independent legal advice and this document signed with a different Solicitor? We normally use the same one but were told we cant in this case. Hundred, couple hundred, more?

Does it HAVE to be a solicitor - my relation has just got one of these as well for a €20k gift from their mother for a €400k house. A gift letter was already sent to the Bank signed by the mother renouncing any interest in the monies given already. Can the mother sign it without it being witnessed by a solicitor but by someone else if she is happy to do this without the "recommendation" to get legal advice?

"Can the mother sign it without it being witnessed by a solicitor but by someone else if she is happy to do this without the "recommendation" to get legal advice? "

Yes- just make sure that the witness is not a beneficiary and that their name and address are clearly legible.

mf

"Can the mother sign it without it being witnessed by a solicitor but by someone else if she is happy to do this without the "recommendation" to get legal advice? "

Yes- just make sure that the witness is not a beneficiary and that their name and address are clearly legible.

mf

Thanks. It's just that my relations solicitor told us that it had to be signed by a solicitor that was not them. But looking at the BPFI template it doesn't seem to extend this far.

Got the deed of confirmation signed by an independent solicitor (as relation's solicitor said it had to be solicitor and wasn't going to debate it).

So mother signed, dropped into her solicitors postbox, got a call from solicitor to explain what was being signed, solicitor countersigned and we picked it up.

€100...

So mother signed, dropped into her solicitors postbox, got a call from solicitor to explain what was being signed, solicitor countersigned and we picked it up.

€100...
And at what point did that solicitor actually witness your mother signing?

Back