Danske Bank Closure

Hello
I am a credit card customer only with Danske and got my letter before Xmas to have my balance cleared by March 8. My current account is with Permanent Tsb so today I went into see them about transferring balance to there 0% cc. Turns out because I am only employed part time no bank will consider me for a credit card. I cannot pay off the balance between now and March. Anyone have any suggestions re approaching Danske or any other options for a credit card on part time work.
Thanks

I would be interested to hear if you succeed in opening an account without a PPS number.
I expect that I will have to explain that they have met their legal obligations by simply seeking my PPSN but that there is no onus on them to actually get it, or for me to supply it . . also I expect that they won't be able to tell me what they want it for . . I expect that none of this will compute and that I will be given a Hobson's choice if I want to open an account.

I would be interested to hear if you succeed in opening an account without a PPS number.
That went better than expected . . an explanation on my part, a discussion with colleagues and a phone call later and it was no problem to open the account without a PPS number.

You should only need to provide a PPS number when opening an account that pays interest.

Makes sense given that the PPS number is used to track tax liability.
I'm not sure about that either. I don't imagine that the banks provide PPS numbers along with individual DIRT returns . . I'd imagine it's simply a composite figure of all DIRT . . in any event the account I opened pays 1% interest on up to €1500, yet they don't have my PPSN.

PTSB told me to advise Danske of the switch because i have the Mortgage with Danske so i rang them ... guy told me the reason the haven't written to Current account holders with Mortgages yet is because they dont know yet what the advise the wish to give to such customers.
He did say that it was ok to proceed with the switch of current account.
Looks like they're not sure of their strategy with those Trackers yet.
Another ECB Rate cut might help get them focused.

PTSB told me to advise Danske of the switch because i have the Mortgage with Danske so i rang them ... guy told me the reason the haven't written to Current account holders with Mortgages yet is because they dont know yet what the advise the wish to give to such customers.
He did say that it was ok to proceed with the switch of current account.
Looks like they're not sure of their strategy with those Trackers yet.
Another ECB Rate cut might help get them focused.

This explains a lot. I too have a Mortgage and a number of other Accounts and have heard nothing yet. I have a memory somewhere in the back of my mind that the Tracker was dependent upon my wages going into NIB (as was). They'd never try to pull a stunt on this and take away the trackers. You never know!!

Bonaparte;

Danske are (giving) some business customers funds to cover business cost of moving to a more expensive provider. In short , running from most Ire business.

The Tracker issue to resolve to a straight repayment mortgage to another provider would be very expensive .
a. Buying out a tracker b.Paying legal fees.

Anyone with a Tracker should JUST KEEP it !

Well i owe 5775 on 2credit cards with them,one mine one wifes both operating from joint ac.i owe €500 in an overdraft and i owe €122k on my mortgage with them.

They told me before xmas that someone will ring me to 'meet up' with me to discuss puting credit cards only into loans not overdraft.i told them meeting up wasnt an option as im very far away from their dublin branch and i work 12 hour night shift.i said all my correspondense can be done through phone/ post.i havnt heard back yet,im sure i will soon.
I opened a boi account few weeks back to get wages paid into starting tomarrow just in case danske try to 'pay on demand' my overdraft out of my acccount and leave me with no wages to live on.

Bonaparte;

Danske are (giving) some business customers funds to cover business cost of moving to a more expensive provider. In short , running from most Ire business.

The Tracker issue to resolve to a straight repayment mortgage to another provider would be very expensive .
a. Buying out a tracker b.Paying legal fees.

Anyone with a Tracker should JUST KEEP it !

My fear is that it was a condition of the tracker that we held a NIB Current Account which we obviously can't do after March. There is a reference to this anomaly in the Irish Independent this morning. Frankly I wouldn't be surprised at what stunt Danske would try to pull.

I have suggested on this Forum before that perhaps we should all just stop paying our Mortgage for a period and see what they do then. I would suggest that cutting off the flow of repayments completely would awaken the profit hungry Bankers in Denmark!!

I have suggested on this Forum before that perhaps we should all just stop paying our Mortgage for a period and see what they do then. I would suggest that cutting off the flow of repayments completely would awaken the profit hungry Bankers in Denmark!!
If I were a 'profit hungry banker' and you stopped paying your mortgage I'd repossess your house.

With all due respect Bonapart ... Danske trying to remove trackers from Customers because the no longer have a Danske Current Account when they are the ones withdrawing Current Accounts from the Irish Market wouldn't hold up in court.

That would be similar to Danske claiming that the Tracker Mortgages were taken out in the name of National Irish Bank and now that we've changed the name to Danske Bank you all loose your Tracker Rates.

If you are servicing your Mortgage Loan and not falling behind on repayments then sit tight and let Danske worry about the losses they are making on your mortgage.

I was surprised to hear Danske sponsoring the high-profile (and presumably high-cost) Drivetime show on RTE Radio 1. They are pushing their services for business customers through a consumer medium. It's hard to understand how this is a cost-effective way to advertise to business customers.

I was surprised to hear Danske sponsoring the high-profile (and presumably high-cost) Drivetime show on RTE Radio 1. They are pushing their services for business customers through a consumer medium. It's hard to understand how this is a cost-effective way to advertise to business customers.

They were also advertising on Newstalk breakfast. Blustering about being a full SEPA service.

From my dealings with them in work they are not. Accounts held in Germany cannot offer SEPA services....you have to open other ones in Denmark/Ireland.

The more I hear from these guys the more of a crowd of chancers I find them to be.

Can't imagine what future they have here dependent on commercial customers,
How can anyone trust them with their record

My fear is that it was a condition of the tracker that we held a NIB Current Account which we obviously can't do after March. There is a reference to this anomaly in the Irish Independent this morning. Frankly I wouldn't be surprised at what stunt Danske would try to pull.

What exactly is driving your concern about losing your tracker rate (or a discount on your lending rate etc), is it purely speculation or do you have something in writting from Danske Bank telling you that you will lose it, once your Danske current account is closed ?

Assuming you don't have a specific documented response from Danske to the question (about what happens post closure of their current accounts), then I suggest you write to them asking them exactly what they propose for you, given the circumstances :)

I honestly think you are worrying here without good reason and agree with the comment above from Codogly that given Danske are withdrawning their current accounts, an attempt to remove the current arrangements would not hold up in court (in my personal opinion).

This (rather long) thread from early 2012 describes how Danske tried to force customers with fee-free current accounts (opened as a requirement of their tracker mortgage) to switch to fee-paying current account packages when Danske withdrew their Freebank product in Dec. 2011, and why they weren't legally able to make this stick (see particularly the references linked to in this post).

If (as mine did) your loan documentation contains a stipulation about having to keep a current account with them for the life of the loan, or lose your tracker rate, then I'd suggest you write to them referencing this condition and requesting written confirmation that it is no longer applicable. Ask them to specify whether they want you to keep a fee-free servicing or "facility" account with them — unlikely — or whether you should set up a new DD from another account. Don't accept verbal assurances or emails from customer service agents; insist on a signed letter from their lending department.

When I did this they resisted all the way, until I lodged a formal complaint and indicated that my next step would be to refer it to the Ombudsman (and then to legal representation, if necessary). I received no acknowledgement or apology for the waste of my time or the extremely high-handed tone of their letters, but they backed down.

Do not under any circumstances simply "stop paying [your] mortgage"; to do so would be to hand them the perfect justification for deeming you to be in breach of the conditions of your loan and therefore liable to forfeit your tracker rate.

KBC or PTSB

Still haven't received the letter telling me to get lost but have started to check out where to go. I had a meeting with a Gentleman at PTSB this morning and he seems to be able to offer me everything I need with no fees once my wages are transferred every month. I guess it's a bit like things were in the old NIB days.

I am planning on having the same meeting with KBC next week.

If they offer the same package which is the better option? Has anyone else made the jump to either?

Still haven't received the letter telling me to get lost but have started to check out where to go. I had a meeting with a Gentleman at PTSB this morning and he seems to be able to offer me everything I need with no fees once my wages are transferred every month. I guess it's a bit like things were in the old NIB days.

I am planning on having the same meeting with KBC next week.

If they offer the same package which is the better option? Has anyone else made the jump to either?

Nope, still with them, offset mortgage, interest only mortgage and shares. Rang last week
Any more info for me?
Nothing. we'll be writing as soon as we decide what we're going to do.

Whatever about the tracker and only getting the interest rate, my offset mortgage is based on my account being with them and the balance offsetting the calculation interest. They obviously haven't figured that one yet.

I'll wait until they send the letter.

Force their hand rather than them forcing mine.

Moving the shares is another matter though. Anyone any thoughts on how I go about that?

Back