Damn those Penalty Points!

I do my best to drive within the speeding limit. If I did get caught, I would just take the medicine.

Why? If you're trying to drive safely and actually care about other peoples lives, then why should you take the medicine if you momentarily stray an inch beyond the strict letter of the law on one or two occasions?

The original poster was slowing down to meet the required speed limit, and was worried he would get points on his drivers license because he was doing so after the speed limit sign. He asked three fair questions wishing to clarify three technical aspects of speeding law, but was shot down. No-one has answered his questions, and the thread has veered all over the place. I find it worrying to live in a society that seeks to grip itself more and more tightly with law after law, and express a determination to obey these laws unquestioningly. There are more enlightened ways to achieve social harmony.

I find it worrying to live in a society that seeks to grip itself more and more tightly with law after law

It is far more worrying and dangerous to live in a society where hundreds of people are killed and injured by speeding and dangerous drivers.

A balance has to be struck, and I would accept a few people getting penalty points "unfairly" if it saved lives.

Brendan

It is far more worrying and dangerous to live in a society where hundreds of people are killed and injured by speeding and dangerous drivers.

A balance has to be struck, and I would accept a few people getting penalty points "unfairly" if it saved lives.

Brendan

I'd love to see some stats which show a correlation between the number and location of speeding fines/camera's and accidents and deaths in those same location. Because I don't think the current half baked scatter gun approach really achieves anything tbh.

[broken link removed]

SO Aircobra are you seriously sugesting that people can decide for themselves what speed they should drive at based on the conditions on the road weather etc.

I can just see it now; boy racer in a souped up civic stopped by a guard doign 140mh on a dry day. Cop says "do you know you were driving 65miles over the limit" boy races replies "sure guard its great weather the road is dry" Guard replies "now that makes common sence sure you were driving based on road conditions off with ya"
How are the police/courts to decide what is speeding then. it would be complete mayham and gives every speeding nut literaly millions of potential excuses/defences based on your "common sence based on road conditions approach"

This common sence you talk about. You should try applying it to some of the arguments you make on here:)

SO Aircobra are you seriously sugesting that people can decide for themselves what speed they should drive at based on the conditions on the road weather etc....

Is that not what happens when people drive slower in rain, fog, ice etc?

Its also what happens when theres no enforcement. On the M50 tonight I'd say 98% of drivers were doing 100~120km/h in the 60km/h zone. They are effectively setting their own limits. I'm not saying its right, but thats the reality. Where was the speed check? Just before the airport roundabout where people have come off the M1, and are slowing down to get in lane for the roundabout and the speed limit changes. At least I assume it was a speed check. Perhaps thats a black spot I dunno. Fish in a barrel anyway, especially for people not familar with the area. Which is going to be a lot at an airport.

There obviously are unlimited roads in other countries. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_limit Even if our roads were good enough for that, our standard of driving is abysmal. It would be madness to implement that here. I don't think I did suggest that anywhere. I didn't intend to anywayz.

Why? If you're trying to drive safely and actually care about other peoples lives, then why should you take the medicine if you momentarily stray an inch beyond the strict letter of the law on one or two occasions?

The original poster was slowing down to meet the required speed limit, and was worried he would get points on his drivers license because he was doing so after the speed limit sign. He asked three fair questions wishing to clarify three technical aspects of speeding law, but was shot down. No-one has answered his questions, and the thread has veered all over the place. I find it worrying to live in a society that seeks to grip itself more and more tightly with law after law, and express a determination to obey these laws unquestioningly. There are more enlightened ways to achieve social harmony.
I would be far more worried about the OP's attitude than anything else. For someone who is only driving a wet week, already has 2 penalty points and is looking at another 2 penalty points, and then trying to find ways to get out of it, and a refusal to blame himself for his problems, is very frightening.

I agree with the point about 'slowing down' rather than 'breaking' to get to 80 but if your observation is good you should spot these signs well in advance.

but if your observation is good you should spot these signs well in advance

I agree with what you say but in alot of cases the signs are not easily observerd (or even there in many cases). I was on the Strawberry beds and there is a stretch that is not 50km with ramps....the sign for the 50km is just after a left bend in the road.
The M50 (southside) is now mainly 100km, rather than the normal motorway speed of 120km, yet there is very few signs (the most obvious ones are the ones on the slip roads to the left. In reality, they should have a speed sign every 1 or 2 km's.
Many of the speed signs are just as you turn onto a road and are busy with checking the road, positioning etc. Inveriably, there is one of the "tiny" speed signs just at the corner and none repeated along the road if you missed it.

Poor signage in general in Ireland. You'd be unlucky, to be caught out twice. Not impossible though. You'd have to take it on the chin though. You'd have to take it as indication of poor observation though, and a indicator to slow down. Not find ways to keep speeding and avoid it. Thats the wrong message entirely.

....not 50km with ramps....the sign for the 50km is just after a left bend in the road. ....

Since theres about a squillion of those ramps, I can't imagine many would be able to speed there, it would wreck the suspension. Ruined that road tbh. Couple of speed cameras and fewer ramps would have been much better. I'd hate to live along there now, and have to face that endurance test every day.

Aircobra. I mean people should not be allowed to decide for themselves when it is okay to drive over the limit not slower than the limit. of course in certain conditions people have to adjust. but not over the limit under the limit.

Aircobra. I mean people should not be allowed to decide for themselves when it is okay to drive over the limit not slower than the limit. of course in certain conditions people have to adjust. but not over the limit under the limit.

Fair e nuff.

It was a cold January morning and the Garda had been standing beside the road for nearly an hour without catching anybody for speeding, he was cold and annoyed. Alas in the distance he heard the roar of an engine and immediately perked up, He rubbed his hands with glee as he got his speed gun, clocked the car and stopped the driver. As the Garda tapped on the window he said to the young lad behind the wheel, " Son, I've been waiting for you all morning". the young lad replied, "well Garda, I got here as fast as I could"

Back