Damn those Penalty Points!

Iceman732

Has anyone ever seen an unmarked 1996-1998 Hiace Garda van taking speeds? I was coming in the N3 today and about 100-200 meters after you come down to 80 km from 100 km on the Blanchardstown bypass there was the aforementioned van! Is this an unmarked Garda van?

Firstly I'm not sure where he would have been taking the speeds, before the 80k speed limit or just inside it? I was just letting the car slow down naturally from 100k to 80k and it's unlikely that I was below the speed limit if he was taking the speed inside the 80k limit.

Assuming that I was caught.... How long do the Gardai have to inform me? (I.e. send out the €80 demand thing) The points won't arrive in my name so it'll have to be sent back. I was wondering if first of all we sent back the demand requesting the form in Irish, then send it back stating that X was not the driver and that Y actually was. Then when the form comes out to Y request the form in either English or Irish, whichever language differs to the form they originally send to Y Would the amount of time they have to inform me have passed?

Anyone have other ideas?

I already have two points and I can't afford anymore! Also, are points carried over from a provisional license to a full license?

Finally, are laser diffusers legal?

I know how you feel, it got 2 points 5 years ago for doing 34 in a 30 stretch on the navan road, and it took them 4 months to let me know. It can be very frustrating, and you really have to wonder about the merits of nabbing people for being a tad over in the transition from 100 to 80, esp on a dual carriageway.
I have seen people being pulled over, when accelerating up to 100kph, outside town, within metres of the 100kph sign. It does smack of opportunism, not the intended accident prevention.
It is easier just to take it on the chin, rather than fight the bitter and self defeating battle you will face. After all, the bare facts are that you were speeding afterall.

Has anyone ever seen an unmarked 1996-1998 Hiace Garda van taking speeds?

Don't think so - all the Garda GATSO vans I've seen and read about have been late model Ford Transits - I don't think a Hiace would be big enough to comfortably take the GATSO rig and still allow easy entry and egress for our friends in the Plod

I heard on Gerry Ryan show years ago that they paint the vans with different comapny logos and move them around.

I was wondering if first of all we sent back the demand requesting the form in Irish, then send it back stating that X was not the driver and that Y actually was. Then when the form comes out to Y request the form in either English or Irish, whichever language differs to the form they originally send to Y Would the amount of time they have to inform me have passed?
:rolleyes:

Count yourself lucky you weren't in Utah.

Assuming that I was caught.... How long do the Gardai have to inform me? (I.e. send out the €80 demand thing) The points won't arrive in my name so it'll have to be sent back. I was wondering if first of all we sent back the demand requesting the form in Irish, then send it back stating that X was not the driver and that Y actually was. Then when the form comes out to Y request the form in either English or Irish, whichever language differs to the form they originally send to Y Would the amount of time they have to inform me have passed?

According to the Indo earlier this week 2/3 of cases are thrown out because people say they never go the letter .... (i am of course assume you won't get the letter and would never advise you to purger yourself)....

I hate when those Gardai apply the rules of the road or any other laws for that matter. I remember trying to get money from this shop once an they had all sorts of objections to what I was at.No guns allowed, take the balaclava off, hands in the air etc. So angry about the whole thing I'll nearly stop doing it.

So let me get this scenario straight:

someone who is unqualified to drive gets caught speeding and wants to know how to get out of it?

My advice is to ignore all tickets etc until you get summonsed to court.

At least this way you will have a fair hearing and a chance to explain why it is only right that you should be immune to the law of the land and the highway code.

There's not a judge in the country who would convict :rolleyes:.

Moved from Askaboutlaw to Cars/Motoring. Please post in the correct section.

Askaboutlaw
For legal issues not covered in another forum. Ask about conveyancing in Mortgages forum. Ask about road traffic law in Cars & Motoring. Ask about tenant issues in Property Investment.

Gardai are like beautiful women, the sun gets them out, everyday for the last five days they seem to be out in force on the roads. Thats probably the only good thing about the rain, it means the lads don't leave the station.
And to the OP, get the point not the points, you do the crime and all that jazz!

Well eamonn123456 you didn't get it straight... I was asking if a person on a PROVISIONAL license who gets two penalty points and then passes the driving test and therefor gets a full license..... Are the points carried over? I assume they are but I'd just like to make sure!! :)

My mistake - I had no idea you were such a skilful driver.

In that case I guess you are considering blaming your misdemeanour on someone with a provisional licence?

I don't think this is really the best place to get advice on breaking the law, and if you must show off about your boy-racing attitude as per your latest post, don't expect kudos from most adults, whether they be of pension age or otherwise.

Last edited:
aggree completely with clubman and eamon. if you put other lives at risk by speeding you deserve what you get. if you are going 3 miles over the limit you are still breaking the law and you are dangerous to others.

aggree completely with clubman and eamon. if you put other lives at risk by speeding you deserve what you get. if you are going 3 miles over the limit you are still breaking the law and you are dangerous to others.

In that logic, every driver in the world is a danger to others. Are you saying you have never went over the limit? If what the OP says is true, I.E slowly from 100kpm to 80kpm in an 80, then give the guy a break. Let ye who have never sinned, cast the first stone.

yes you are a greater danger to others if you go over the speed limit and if you say everyone does at some point then well they are a danger to others at the point you are driving over te limit yes.
If i have ever went over the limit i would accept it and not complain at the police doing thier job.
if you or me are careless enough to go over the limit take it on the chin and move on not complain about how unfair the cops are.
do you reaslise that there is a significant difference in the damage you can do to a person if you hit them at 33 miles an hour as compared to 30 and if that is a child it could mean the difference between life and death.
dont think about that if you never think it is going to happen to you or your kids.

I hate when those Gardai apply the rules of the road or any other laws for that matter. I remember trying to get money from this shop once an they had all sorts of objections to what I was at.No guns allowed, take the balaclava off, hands in the air etc. So angry about the whole thing I'll nearly stop doing it.
:D

Back