Dairygold Butter.....variations in taste.

Tintagel

I have been a regular user of Dairygold butter spread. In the past year or so I have noticed that the quality of the product can vary. Sometimes there is even a tainted taste from it.

Compared to similar products it is expensive. I am not sure if I want to support this hit and miss product anymore.

Is there a product that is very similar without the margarine taste?

I have been a regular user of Dairygold butter spread. In the past year or so I have noticed that the quality of the product can vary. Sometimes there is even a tainted taste from it.
Compared to similar products it is expensive. I am not sure if I want to support this hit and miss product anymore.
Is there a product that is very similar without the margarine taste?

Bertoli Olive Oil spread, spreads straight from the fridge, think it's usually €2 a tub. I don't detect the margarine taste you get from Flora etc.

The products in the plastic boxes do lose their taste, don't take too long to go off either when opened, but don't ever call them butter, they're not.

Real butter doesn't spread very well. Bertoli Olive Oil spread tastes like olives.

Dairygold went from €2.79 a tub to €2.99 a tub. We have on three occasions in the past year complained about it's taste and have stopped using it as a result.

Real butter spreads fine at room temperature and tastes great (Kerrygold in particular). But it’s not exactly good for you.

Evidence please @Gordon Gekko

Butter in moderation and as part of a balanced diet probably has more health benefits than the manufactured non-dairy spreads. Most of the discredited studies condemning red meat and dairy products as health risks were based on populations consuming beef and dairy from herds fed on corn, steroids and antibiotics as growth promoters (US, Australia, Brazil, etc). Grass-fed bovines, like our Irish cattle and milk cows, produce some of the cleanest, best and healthiest products in the world.

Palm oil anyone?

Last edited:
Don’t get me wrong, I’m a serious fan of real butter, but there is a truckload of evidence to show that saturated fats (such as those found in butter) are bad for your heart.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m a serious fan of real butter, but there is a truckload of evidence to show that saturated fats (such as those found in butter) are bad for your heart.

Much of that has been refuted in the last few years on the basis of more robust scientific studies rather than the outcome of ~100 year old work based purely on hypothesis that did not include any human experimental evidence. If you're going for spreads, best choose one with as low a level of trans fats as possible, as these are proven to reduce HDL while raising LDL.

My father had a bypass maybe 25yrs ago or so, surgeon told him afterwards eat no spreads only butter but not too much of it, he's now 87 and while he has health issues the heart ain't bad at all!

Typical of the Irish, it's either a feast or a famine. We should learn from others and take the good advice of real experts, "unless you've allergies a little of everything will do no harm to anyone".

In fairness, the vast majority of the avoid X at all costs advice doesn't originate here.

Maybe not, but it doesn't take long for the media outlets to plaster all this gobble-de-gook in front of us.

I remember buying a tub of either Lidl spread or SuperValu spread that came close to DairyGold for less than half the cost. Unfortunately I cannot remember which one it was. I absolutely gag on the taste of margarine, even a hint of it and the product is used for cooking.

Real butter doesn't spread very well. Bertoli Olive Oil spread tastes like olives.

Dairygold went from €2.79 a tub to €2.99 a tub. We have on three occasions in the past year complained about it's taste and have stopped using it as a result.

Yes I noticed how expensive Dairygold got a few years ago, but worse the flavour is gone very bland, I think they must be reducing the butter content or some other ingredient. I have tried some of the other supermarket own brand spreads but all are margarine in taste and are too cheap to be realistically good. The only exception in my opinion and the only one I eat all the time is Dunnes "Gold Spread", its superior in taste to Dairygold and priced at 1.70euros so not too cheap but still a very good price. Its like the old Dairygold and i specifically shop in dunnes stores exclusively for this product oh and Hafners sausages.

Back