Dairygold Butter.....variations in taste.

Dairygold has now gone over €3.50 a tub. It is actually more expensive now than a block of real butter. I have been buying real butter in the summer when it is more spreadable.....unfortunately not so during the winter.

I will try the Lidl variant.

Dairygold has now gone over €3.50 a tub. It is actually more expensive now than a block of real butter. I have been buying real butter in the summer when it is more spreadable.....unfortunately not so during the winter.

I will try the Lidl variant.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Replacement-Washing-Machine-Brushes-Whirlpool/dp/B07YG7J5BF/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=butter+crock&qid=1668173275&sr=8-5
Try a butter crock such as the attached. It keeps butter soft and fresh all year around. I swear by mine.

I was an avid dairygold user, until I noticed the taste and consistency had changed.
I queried this with dairygold and asked had they changed the ingredients/ratios. I eventually got a reply saying nothing had changed, but I changed to real butter.
I now get the Tesco own brand block of butter with only natural ingredients that I keep in a butter dish at room temp.
Superior to dairygold spread and much kinder on the pocket.

Use the Connaught Gold spreadable or the Kerrygold spreadable. These are real butters which are designed to be soft. If you find them too hard do complain to the companies.

The Kerrygold one is only 50% butter with added oil. Yuck.
There are 2 types of kerry gold Spreadable and Softer. I found the softer not very soft. I buy the own brand version of butter but I only really use it for baking.

I queried this with dairygold and asked had they changed the ingredients/ratios. I eventually got a reply saying nothing had changed, but I changed to real butter.
They are lying because they have definitely changed it, Of course since they own the brand so they only have to comply with what the ingredients say on the label, they don't have to detail if they changed the type of butter or oil used. I think only huge brands like Coca Cola will only respond to consumer pressure if there is an outcry

Your right. The top one is a spread not a butter. I did think that Kerrygold has a similar product to the Connacht gold one in Ireland.

Watch out for this Connacht gold one as well

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/en-IE/products/266434010
This has Butter (Milk) (64%), Rapeseed Oil (29%), Water, Salt as ingredients

Sorry we are all cross posting.

Would recommend the Connacht Gold Softer and the Kerrygold Softer (if available). Not the Connacht gold spreadable or the Kerrygold Spreadable.

just looked at dairygold ingredients now, there is a bit of subterfuge because on one side it has
Ingredients Cream, Palm oil, Rapeseed oil, Salt , Colour (Carotenes)

then on the other side of pack it says Blended spread 63%

so it doesn't say butter 63% but "blended spread" , but what is "blended spread" and what is the actual butter content , I still don't know?
However the fact that they need to add colour (carotenes) is a bit suspicious

just looked at dairygold ingredients now, there is a bit of subterfuge because on one side it has

so it doesn't say butter 63% but "blended spread" , but what is "blended spread" and what is the actual butter content , I still don't know?
Pretty sure it has always had carotenes added for colour.

Butter is just cream and salt... so does that mean it is 63% cream?

Pretty sure it has always had carotenes added for colour.

Butter is just cream and salt... so does that mean it is 63% cream?
Im pretty sure it doesn't, I actually found an old packet of Dunnes own brand spread in the bin, half the price by the way

it has a similar type ingredient layout, however it has Blended Spread (73%)

then under ingredients it has Cream(Milk) (35%)
This is the piece of information missing from the Dairygold packet the actual Cream or Butter content but I bet its much lower than the 63% and could be as low as 35% but we still don't know because they have hidden it in the "Blended Spread" item

No, just looking for confirmation on whether other people think the same. I think alot of brands slowly change their products hoping that people won't notice if they do it over a long period of time. Dairygold today and Dairygold a decade ago are 2 different products in my opinion
Yes, that is exactly how it works.

Small changes over a long period so that the consumer doesn't notice.

They don't pretend not to do this, but don't exactly publicise it.

This means the overall fat level is 63 %

Im pretty sure it doesn't, I actually found an old packet of Dunnes own brand spread in the bin, half the price by the way

it has a similar type ingredient layout, however it has Blended Spread (73%)

then under ingredients it has Cream(Milk) (35%)
This is the piece of information missing from the Dairygold packet the actual Cream or Butter content but I bet its much lower than the 63% and could be as low as 35% but we still don't know because they have hidden it in the "Blended Spread" item
And this means the total fat is 73 %

Looking at the Dunne’s site, the newer version is 72 % fat.

And this means the total fat is 73 %

Looking at the Dunne’s site, the newer version is 72 % fat.
The Dunnes brand is "Gold Spread" is not an old brand but selling now , it has Blended Spread (73%) but Cream(Milk) (35%) so obviously oils etc are the blend thats brought it upto to 72%, again no problem with this as it is upfront about what its spread is made of and is priced accordingly. It doesn't say 72% fat, it says 35% Cream(Milk) therefore that is the total butter content , everything above board here.

Dairygold just says Blended Spread (63%) but nothing else, if it was the case that it was 63% butter or Cream there is no doubt thats what would be on the label

Back