Daft.ie - an outrageous increase in charges

There are way less properties for rent on Daft, alot to do with lack of supply; people not moving unless necessary and places changing hands via contacts. Say DAFT are trying to maintain their profit margin via less ads

Does this mean that the reports from Daft showing very low levels of available properties to rent are a reflection of their price increases rather than the real level of available property for rent?
or more competition in their market? or preferences to not advertise onlline because of the level of desperation causing long queues of tenants applying

I used Daft 10 years ago to advertise my rental property. since then any time there is a transition in tenants the old tenants has had a friend, cousin, work colleague to take-over. Works great for me as I don't have to do anything. New tenants refund the deposit to old and there is no gap in rental etc.
One time when the people were moving out and didn't have replacements immediately - my OH works in one of the big Banks, he put an ad on the work intranet and had prospective tenants straightaway.
Of course depends where the Property is located but an Ad in the local SuperValu would probably get plenty of traction at the moment
An aunt of mine who lives in Ballycoolin has had a long stream of tenants who work in IBM

It has been explained to you time and time again that you can find another service.

There is no monopoly.

Brendan
True, but it is heavily aligned to thinking they have the market cornered, can set the price and people will come, aka, a dominant position
As you say, there is choice, but Daft is the property rental portal for most. Charging based on rent is just creaming it.

DAFT are behaving the same as the RTB did, when the number of new rental properties dramatically decreased.
To protect their respective income streams .....

> The RTB moved from a single fee for multi-year leases to an annual fee for all leases.
> DAFT simply trebled their prices.

It has been explained to you time and time again that you can find another service.
It's a contestible market indeed as anyone can set up a rival product, but there are huge network effects and a first-mover advantage.
There is no monopoly.
A market can be contestible but still be de facto a monopoly. Daft has huge market power in the rental ads market and has done for 15 years....no estate agent would advise a landlord that they don't need to advertised on daft.

I used Daft and myhome in January. I got charged through the estate agent 395. I heard there is a new company launching this week charging less than 40 Euro an advertisement. Free market.

Did you just happen to hear that it and register on AAM to post about it because you are somehow involved?
I used Daft in January and it was 395. Because independents pay a different fee then MyHome and Daft who have a deal with right move in the UK. Sherry Fitz 195 for all 3.

I wouldn't post a company in competition with the major players in Ireland. I'd be banned....

I used Daft and myhome in January. I got charged through the estate agent 395. I heard there is a new company launching this week charging less than 40 Euro an advertisement. Free market.
I used Daft in January and it was 395. Because independents pay a different fee then MyHome and Daft who have a deal with right move in the UK. Sherry Fitz 195 for all 3.

I wouldn't post a company in competition with the major players in Ireland. I'd be banned....
A Google search for "property listing Ireland €40" returns nothing useful and certainly no Daft/MyHome competitor...

Not from here you wouldn't. You would however be banned and have a competitor company black-listed for spamming if you were found to have any connection with that company.

So to be clear, it's suspicious for a poster to register and dig up an aged thread to suggest competition is about to launch on the market. It suggests you have inside information or are somehow involved.

I was the original poster - just an update

My tenants left the apartment and returned to their native Poland. I advertised for free in my local Supervalu and hospital.

I received 18 enquires and I accepted a lovely Filopino couple ( both nurses ).

No more advertising with Daft and €265 saved.

If enough landlords do this Daft might reconsider their outragous increases !!!!!!!

Back