Daft.ie - an outrageous increase in charges

Facebook? Done deal?
be ready for Tyre Kickers if you use Done Deal , questions like ,what year is the Property , how many previous owners, is the price negotiable, do you accept cash , so to speak

The cost can be written off against your tax.
Anyway, In this market there is no need to use DAFT. Word of mouth should fill the property in no time.

Does this mean that the reports from Daft showing very low levels of available properties to rent are a reflection of their price increases rather than the real level of available property for rent?

Does this mean that the reports from Daft showing very low levels of available properties to rent are a reflection of their price increases rather than the real level of available property for rent?

Hmmm, interesting point. Someone pointed it out on the thread on the first page. I've stopped using it anyway. The last two times I've used word of mouth or social media.

This is about a monopoly using bullying tactics . What I would give to clip their wings .

Why not set up in competition?

That is how a market works. They have no monopoly.

If you are a member of the Irish Property Owners Association , then encourage them to set up a competitor.

Brendan

Sometimes the company themselves will enter into a contract with you and lease the property medium term from you to have available for their staff.
I would strongly advise that you give careful consideration before going down this route. From past experience the responsibilty for the upkeep of the property ususually falls between two stools... a faceless person in HR in a large organisation (corporate signatory), and a tenant, usually short term, who may leave the property while travelling for work with utilities running 24x7.... a landlord may only enter the property for inspection purposes after giving adequate notice in writing to the HR department.... not much use if you can spot a problem kerbside.

Obtaining recompence to make good on damages after the event is slow (due to internal approvals and credit terms within large organisations) with usually an over zealous puchasing / sourcing manager trying to negotiate down your costs....

My suggestion is to avoid a corporate let.

It is interesting though. Daft listings are pretty much a barometer for availability and prices… if (esp decent non price gouging!) LL’s aren’t using it then the stats are pretty distorted?
Or has the drop off in use by landlords caused them to increased prices?

...so there are less people advertising property for rent on their website, so they have to increase the fees to advertise...:rolleyes:
I suspect that is what has happened. There was a time when you had to advertise on daft.ie to find a tenant. Not these days. I ask my departing tenants to put the word out.

Landlords are not using Daft as quite a few tenants are staying put so landlords do not need to advertise.
Daft have to get the revenue they are used too so that is why they are charging silly money.
Have a look at Myhome.ie. I think it is €30 for 90days. If someone is looking for a rental they will try everwhere.

Last edited:
So there is an alternative already? (I had thought that myhome.ie was just for estate agents)

Brendan

MyHome.ie can be used by individual landlords too for rental properties.

Problem is that most consumers associate MyHome.ie as a website for properties for sale, not rental. So MyHome.ie is not really a major Daft rental competitor.

Why not set up in competition?

That is how a market works. They have no monopoly.

If you are a member of the Irish Property Owners Association , then encourage them to set up a competitor.

Brendan

.I think there is a market for a Daft rental competitor.

If I was a tenant I would be looking at my home.ie as well....regardless its up to individual landlords but absolutely no way will I be paying 275 euro for a ad when I can get it for 30 from an established competitor.

Regardless of being able to write it off againt tax.

I used Daft 10 years ago to advertise my rental property. since then any time there is a transition in tenants the old tenants has had a friend, cousin, work colleague to take-over. Works great for me as I don't have to do anything. New tenants refund the deposit to old and there is no gap in rental etc.
One time when the people were moving out and didn't have replacements immediately - my OH works in one of the big Banks, he put an ad on the work intranet and had prospective tenants straightaway.
Of course depends where the Property is located but an Ad in the local SuperValu would probably get plenty of traction at the moment

Only a monopoly can increase their price for a service from €75 to €265 in 12 months or else they would be out of business .

This is plain old gouging , hopefully landlords will use different means to advertise their properties and Daft will be forced to act in a more professional manner.

Back