Cyclists should get insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are countless studies that show cycling helmets help in preventing serious injuries (much like seatbelts in cars) but yet they arent compulsory, thats a start, where do you stand on that?

I saw a tweet yesterday saying 0.5% of Dutch people wear helmets and they have the fewest injuries / fatalities per KM traveled. 50% of Americans wear helmets and they have the highest number of injuries / fatalities for cyclists. Helmets are one of the least important when factors it comes to cycling safety. The negatives to compulsory helmets far outweigh the positives.

Its more about safety in numbers and other things.

Its not that helmets aren't useful, they obviously are. Its more about priorities and motives.

I saw a tweet yesterday saying 0.5% of Dutch people wear helmets and they have the fewest injuries / fatalities per KM traveled. 50% of Americans wear helmets and they have the highest number of injuries / fatalities for cyclists. Helmets are one of the least important when factors it comes to cycling safety. The negatives to compulsory helmets far outweigh the positives.
What are the negatives to a compulsory safety device?

A better question might be - why would you start with that?

Cycle helmets aren't much like seat belts in cars at all. If you think mandatory crash helmets will reduce head injuries, start with crash helmets for car occupants, given that's where the vast majority of head injuries happen, even with seat belts and air bags and more.
I was referring to bikes, you have done the usual thing or bringing it back to cars, why is that?

Most cycling deaths involve crush injuries, nothing that a helmet would have saved the victim from. Helmets can help prevent some head injuries but given that there are more head injuries in vehicular crashes then your logic would lead to mandatory helmet use for everyone in a car.
Australia should be a cycling nirvana with lovely weather but their insistence on mandatory helmet wearing means very few cycle there.
i referred to serious injury, not death.

why are australian cyclists so against helmets do you think?

I was referring to bikes, you have done the usual thing or bringing it back to cars, why is that?
Probably because vastly more people are killed and injured as a result of head injuries in cars than on bikes. Are you up for compulsory crash helmets for all car occupants?

Reactions: Leo
Insurance will often choose to use whichever policy is least cost to them.

I can't find any Irish examples. But its still the car that hits the cyclist. I wouldn't also assume that a driver (or their insurance) is not responsible for allowing the passenger to to exit and parking position at a cycle lane. For example in the states sometimes its the passenger and sometimes its the driver.
In Germany the driver is not liable for errors made by their adult passengers. The car was legally parked. This arrangement is quite typical here. The responsibility lay with my friend to look over his shoulder before pushing the door wide open. We had different insurance companies. My friend's insurance coughed up despite knowing the details and the involvement of a motor vehicle.

This sort of insurance covers such things as spilling red wine on your friend's new beige carpet. Unfortunately it's unlikely to become widely available in Ireland at reasonable cost.

In Germany the driver is not liable for errors made by their adult passengers. The car was legally parked. This arrangement is quite typical here. The responsibility lay with my friend to look over his shoulder before pushing the door wide open. We had different insurance companies. My friend's insurance coughed up despite knowing the details and the involvement of a motor vehicle.

This sort of insurance covers such things as spilling red wine on your friend's new beige carpet. Unfortunately it's unlikely to become widely available in Ireland at reasonable cost.

Just shows the law isn't the same everywhere. Is personal liability insurance compulsory.

Perhaps you'd like to explain why creating barriers to reduced pollution, reduced traffic chaos, improved public health is 'better'?
Perhaps you'd like to stay on topic, rather than try to make things up, in a poor attempt to drive your underlying agenda?

At the same time we have a climate crisis and an obesity problem.
Tbf - I don't think anyone is suggesting that cycling is a bad thing, or that it shouldn't be encouraged (albeit, in a safe and positive manner etc)

How about supporting that claim with some evidence and facts, sourced from reliable third parties, please?

It's widely known. Unless you've done no research into it.

"...Accident Analysis & Prevention
Volume 28, Issue 4, July 1996, Pages 463-475
Paper

Head injuries and bicycle helmet laws
Author links open overlay panelD.L.Robins...
Get rights and content

Abstract
The first year of the mandatory bicycle helmet laws in Australia saw increased helmet wearing from 31% to 75% of cyclists in Victoria and from 31% of children and 26% of adults in New South Wales (NSW) to 76% and 85%. However, the two major surveys using matched before and after samples in Melbourne (Finch et al. 1993; Report No. 45, Monash Univ. Accident Research Centre) and throughout NSW (Smith and Milthorpe 1993; Roads and Traffic Authority) observed reductions in numbers of child cyclists 15 and 2.2 times greater than the increase in numbers of children wearing helmets. This suggests the greatest effect of the helmet law was not to encourage cyclists to wear helmets, but to discourage cycling. In contrast, despite increases to at least 75% helmet wearing, the proportion of head injuries in cyclists admitted or treated at hospital declined by an average of only 13%. The percentage of cyclists with head injuries after collisions with motor vehicles in Victoria declined by more, but the proportion of head injured pedestrians also declined; the two followed a very similar trend. These trends may have been caused by major road safety initiatives introduced at the same time as the helmet law and directed at both speeding and drink-driving. The initiatives seem to have been remarkably effective in reducing road trauma for all road users, perhaps affecting the proportions of victims suffering head injuries as well as total injuries. The benefits of cycling, even without a helmet, have been estimated to outweigh the hazards by a factor of 20 to 1 (Hillman 1993; Cycle helmets—the case for and against. Policy Studies Institute, London). Consequently, a helmet law, whose most notable effect was to reduce cycling, may have generated a net loss of health benefits to the nation. Despite the risk of dying from head injury per hour being similar for unhelmeted cyclists and motor vehicle occupants, cyclists alone have been required to wear head protection. Helmets for motor vehicle occupants are now being marketed and a mandatory helmet law for these road users has the potential to save 17 times as many people from death by head injury as a helmet law for cyclists without the adverse effects of discouraging a healthy and pollution free mode of transport..."

Tbf - I don't think anyone is suggesting that cycling is a bad thing, or that it shouldn't be encouraged (albeit, in a safe and positive manner etc)

That doesn't really reconcile with Insisting on disproportional punitive regulations having been told repeatedly they discourage cycling, and have a net negative effect.

Perhaps you'd like to stay on topic, rather than try to make things up, in a poor attempt to drive your underlying agenda?
The topic being the impacts of your misguided proposal. If you create artificial barriers to cycling, less people will cycle. With less people cycling, you have more pollution, more traffic chaos and reduced public health.
How about supporting that claim with some evidence and facts, sourced from reliable third parties, please?
You will presumably be presenting your evidence and facts about what problem mandatory insurance for cyclists will solve, sourced from reliable third parties, any day now, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back