Cyclists should get insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.
From speaking to a few cyclists/motorists I got a bit of tongue wagging regarding insurance for cyclists. Please note I am in favour of optional insurance for cyclists. I don't think it should be mandatory.

It would make sense for cyclists who spend much time on the road to have some kind of insurance cover. Let's face it, there are more and more cyclists on the road every week and optional cyclist insurance most likely would benefit some.

How on earth would this be policed?

Would it be mandatory to display an insurance disc?

What aboout minors? Would they require insurance?

And what about people in wheelchairs? Would they need an exemption?

1. Like I already said I would promote optional cyclist insurance.
2. There would be no need to display an insurance disc. You don't display your house insurance on your hall window.
3. Perhaps there's a case for optional minor cyclist insurance too.
4. People in wheelchairs could benefit from optional road user insurance too.

Páid, don't confuse "optional" with "exemption."

If there's a risk to others, then there's reason to consider insurance imho.
It's more that the risk here is so minor that it doesn't justify the overall costs of insurance. The only winners would be the insurance companies.

Pedestrians pose a risk to themselves and other road users but we never hear anyone suggesting that they should carry insurance. An awareness campaign was launched back in 2000 after a study found that carelessness by pedestrians was a factor in 23% of all road incidents in Dublin.

As others have said, you can insure bikes against theft, but the high rate of thefts and low rate of recovery mean the cost of such insurance is a significant percentage of the value.

Here in Germany it's quite normal to have a personal liability insurance policy that covers any 3rd party liability (cars require their own policies). Kids are usually included. A kid can easily cause serious injuries to a third party, for example opening a car door as a cyclist is passing.

I think that some ordinary house insurance policies include personal liability. But that is probably limited to personal liability around the insured house and not your liability as a pedestrian for knocking someone off their bike and causing them serious injuries.

Brendan

Hello Mr Burgess,

While I take the point, I don't agree with the conclusion, sorry.

If there's a risk to others, then there's reason to consider insurance imho.

If anything, it's likely that they'll be more cyclists in the future, so more accidents, more bicycle thefts, and more damage to other peoples property when cyclists collide with cars etc.
What kind of insurance would you recommend for pedestrians, give that they cause risk to others by stepping out into traffic without checking?

Interesting thread. I've become the owner of a small sailing boat. I've taken out an insurance policy which includes "racing risks" and third party liability coverage of €5m. I'm not to worried about the cost of the boat, it's modest, but I am pleased to have insurance coverage in case I cause harm to somebody else, or another boat. The premium costs €68.50 a year.

1. Like I already said I would promote optional cyclist insurance.
2. There would be no need to display an insurance disc. You don't display your house insurance on your hall window.
3. Perhaps there's a case for optional minor cyclist insurance too.
4. People in wheelchairs could benefit from optional road user insurance too.

Páid, don't confuse "optional" with "exemption."
cyclists are vehemently against any thing that would regularise cycling like legal safety standards, insurance, competency tests.

A kid can easily cause serious injuries to a third party, for example opening a car door as a cyclist is passing.
Stupid cyclist, overtake parked cars appropriately. Stupid parent, allow children to alight on kerb-side only. There are few real "accidents", lots of "stupids" and "incidents" though.

It's more that the risk here is so minor that it doesn't justify the overall costs of insurance. The only winners would be the insurance companies.

Pedestrians pose a risk to themselves and other road users but we never hear anyone suggesting that they should carry insurance. An awareness campaign was launched back in 2000 after a study found that carelessness by pedestrians was a factor in 23% of all road incidents in Dublin.

As others have said, you can insure bikes against theft, but the high rate of thefts and low rate of recovery mean the cost of such insurance is a significant percentage of the value.

It would also be abused here and poorly regulated. Look at the mess that is car insurance.

What kind of insurance would you recommend for pedestrians, give that they cause risk to others by stepping out into traffic without checking?

It's very easy, and very tempting, to get into a slagging match between drivers, cyclists, pedestrians etc. There are good and bad in every category, as I'm sure you'll appreciate.

Let's resist temptation here, and keep the thread on topic. If your want to discuss pedestrians needing insurance, you could always start a seperate thread :)

Last edited:
The solution is third party personal insurance. Not just for cyclists. But for everyone.

The question really is do the benefits of compulsory insurance on cyclists outweigh the negatives. Especially compared to other more impactful things we could do.

It's very easy, and very tempting, to get into a slagging match between drivers, cyclists, pedestrians etc. There are good and bad in every category, as I'm sure you'll appreciate.

Let's resist temptation here, and keep the thread on topic. If your want to discuss pedestrians needing insurance, you could always start a seperate thread :)

Be useful to know the scale of the issue in context with other things though.

To call a spade, a spade, the insurers always win - that's life, unfortunitely, but they are a "necessary evil".

Getting back to the cyclist, and their need for insurance to cover public liability, and the option of persinal liability, I think there's a couple of influencing factors to consider:

- there are more people cycling these days, with more people also being encouraged to cycle, which increases both the risk, and the likely number of incidents, going forward.

- there's no mandatory training, testing, or licensing, for cyclists. Literally anyone can get on a bike without relevant safety training etc.

- cyclists have the ability to travel faster than pedestrians, so if they hit something /someone, then the impact will likely do greater damage, than say a pedestrian / runner, colliding with another person, or piece of property.
- There's also the additional consideration that in a collision, part of the bike might do damage, or inflict injury (some pedals claw type grips, some handle bars are pertruding so might stuck in someone etc.)

Is the risks are deemed low, then the associated insurance premiums should be relatively low. Perhaps the fact that insurance isn't mandatory, and there's very low take up, results in little or no competition from insurers, so those in the market can charge what they like etc.?

Last edited:
There is no case for any kind of insurance. Can you imagine the amount of fraud which would take place? The premiums would be astronomical. You would be paying for my fraudulent claim.

Brendan

It's mandatory in Switzerland and just cost about 70 euro a year.....

I think that some ordinary house insurance policies include personal liability. But that is probably limited to personal liability around the insured house and not your liability as a pedestrian for knocking someone off their bike and causing them serious injuries.

Brendan
No it actually completely covers any of your personal liability. I am personally aware of an incident where a cyclist broke lights and hit a pedestrian at speed and the matter was covered by their household insurer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back