Cyclists should get insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.
If a grown man wore a full Ronaldo Manchester United kit, we’d rightly lampoon him to kingdom come. But if some 50 year old dresses up like Sean Kelly and hogs the road to block traffic on the way into Enniskerry, some people think it’s okay.
The word (acronym) for describing the would be Sean's like myself is "mamil's" or "Fred's", we don't have a choice as it's written in the rules (Velominati) and have spent a lot of money perfecting the look.
But I do agree with you, the cyclists that intentionally hog the road and hold up traffic should be rounded up and shot

Just shows the law isn't the same everywhere. Is personal liability insurance compulsory.
No. But very few people go without it. Along with legal insurance. These are great products but clearly the legal and institutional framework needs to be in place for them to be offered. If you can't even get car insurance down to a reasonable amount then there would appear to be little hope of seeing these other products on the Irish market.

The cycling lobby never cease to amaze me.
What cycling lobby? There's certainly a car lobby (SIMI, etc.) worth gazillions, who have tremendous sway with our politicians and disproportionate input into proposed laws (as a small example, they got the licence plate format changed for 2013 so that it would be the slightly harder to read 131-C-... instead of 13-C-... because they said people would be superstitious!)

You said you cycle - do you not consider yourself a "cyclist" so you aren't delusional, rude, etc.?
Are you saying my 6 year old daughter is an eejit because she cycles to school? Seems a bit harsh.
Most people who cycle also have a car (or at least a driving license) - this sort of "them" vs. "us" isn't constructive - we're all in this together.

What problem are you trying to solve by introducing insurance?
Car insurance is there to partially deal with some of the massive costs imposed on society by car use.

People fetishise cars but, in the end, they're just useful (and dangerous) tools.

The council should have trucks out mowing these people down.
Do you really believe this? As you say, these are people.

It's interesting the discussion of clothing. Most people doing a sports wear sports clothes. Cycling is also sport.

Then look at those supporters of rugby and soccer who wear their club gear and colors.

I'm not sure why either scenerio is something to be ridiculed. Also these are generally colourful clothing. Easy to see. But the people complaining about this also probably want cyclists to wear lurid green and yellow hi Viz during the day. Double standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back