Current public sentiment towards the housing market?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was so quiet here for a few days I thought the bears had gone into winter hibernation...........;)

As far as the BOI report on Newstalk it seems it's just Mad Mclaughlin trying to ramp things up again. It is strange indeed that a 17% increase in 2006 could 'slightly decline' to 2-3% in 2007.

The piece on eastern european house prices was from NCB stockbrokers. As people generally comment (wrongly I think) that stockbrokers are always trying to talk down the property market to sell equities, I don't think anything can be read into to this in terms of a tactic by VIs to shore up the market here by stopping foreign property purchases. I think it was a straight bit of economic analysis borne in reality. I know I know... we're not used to a bit of straight talking about property investment in Ireland in recent years.

The problem with housing price growth is it is coming with debt growth. And no one really wants to admit it. The point is this: as long as we have "impressive" house price growth, we will have "impressive" debt growth. It is the shadow side of the coin.

This is a very good point. The level of mortgage debt in Ireland is currently over 100 billion euros (and growing). At 4% interest rates the cost to service this debt is 4 billion euros annually....
Every percentage increase of the interest rates means another billion euros gets sucked into this black hole annually.

Interesting report from Bank of Ireland this morning predicting 95-100k houses built this year(on rte website) which states is five times the European average 26 per 1000

To me this is the most fundamental reason 4 a crash both house wise & economically-this isn't sustainable given that we Ireland already has 275k vacant properties

I've added a track of new homes/developments as reported at daft.ie on http://daftwatch.atspace.com/. I'm not sure how useful it is, since one entry might be a single house while another is a whole estate. If the numbers keep climbing, though, it would suggest either that there are more new developments being built, or that they're taking longer to sell.

Already, the primary graph of homes for sale shows a steady daily climb. In one week (including a bank-holiday weekend), the for-sale backlog has risen 3.5%. For dramatic effect and exaggeration, at this rate there'll be 136,000 homes for sale this time next year ;)

Timber Mill - Artane

Second price drop on this new develeopment

Were 399,000 in August...
Dropped to €395,000 in early October
[broken link removed]

Now reduced to €380,000
[broken link removed]

€1700pm to mortgage them Artane apartments though. They would be cheap at half the price.

€1700pm to mortgage them Artane apartments though. They would be cheap at half the price.

So for 1700 a month you get a depreciating asset which will start costing you 1800 a month next year.

Where is the logic.

So for 1700 a month you get a depreciating asset which will start costing you 1800 a month next year.

Where is the logic.
There's no logic.

Considering Daft has 2 for rent at 1100 and 1350 (way to high IMO). they're worth (at 7% Gross Yield) between:

205k and 231k

Yep I'm sure there's arguments as to why they're worth more. IMO that's what they are worth. I certainly wouldn't pay more than 250k even to live in this as my PPR.

Southmede - Dundrum

New Development Price Drop

2 Bed Apartments were €560,000

Now reduced to €495,000
[broken link removed]

Southmede - Dundrum

New Development Price Drop

2 Bed Apartments were €560,000

Now reduced to €495,000
[broken link removed]

Assume an investor who buys into the property hype bought one of these at €560k. With stamp duty and other expenses he is facing an immediate loss of €100k plus the possibility of subsidising a tenant.

Some might say hold longer term for capital appreciation ? At these freak price levels? Best of luck mate!

However, it also says it expects price rises to slow considerably to just 3% next year, mainly due to higher interest rates.

so in other words Bank Of Ireland have admitted prices will fall in nominal terms next year

great bit of marketing , house price growth will slow to 3% but they'll still rise , shame they didn't meantion our current inflation figure though :rolleyes:

nope - it refers to 2 bed apartments. It's the exact same advert as yesterday but with a lower price.

The ad states.."Southmede is a fantastic new development of 1, 2 & 3 bedroom apartments.......Prices from €495,000"

Sounds like 495 relates to 1 beds. Which does sound rather high for a one bed. Must be for 2 bed.

The ad states.."Southmede is a fantastic new development of 1, 2 & 3 bedroom apartments.......Prices from €495,000"

Sounds like 495 relates to 1 beds.

Well even if it does - it means that one beds dropped from €560,000 yesterday to €495,000 today. Either way it's a significant drop.
The advert hasn't changed - the price has.

Well even if it does - it means that one beds dropped from €560,000 yesterday to €495,000 today. Either way it's a significant drop.
The advert hasn't changed - the price has.

Ok..........I phoned up to get the lowdown.

They had some cancellations so whilst they have a 2 bed for 560 and one for 580 they have now have a couple for 495 as contracts were returned.

Got the impression they were priced to sell...

they have now have a couple for 495 as contracts were returned.

So they are 2 beds! I've heard of a lot of cancellations on new developments lately - interested parties are happy to pay a booking deposit, not so happy to go through with the deal.

Interestingly, 2 beds in this development started at €520,000 in February so these "priced to sell" apartments at €495,000 are now cheaper than Feb prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back