Current public sentiment towards the housing market?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A reluctance to forclose would put bank earnings under even more pressure in a downturn.

If Irish banks and the government were faced with widespread 'civil disobedience' on the issue of repossession (you can imagine the head of stem such an issue could build up) it would cause financial caos; a liquidity crunch and who knows the collapse of the Irish banking system?.

I wonder if short activity is building in Irish bank shares as the signs of a weakening property market are becoming more prevalent.
With their vast stockpiles of cash from Sale-Leasebacks they can afford to buy back shares if there's a significant move downwards...

of course they should be investing the money in the American Dream
[broken link removed]

"The most gargantuan feature, though, is the price tag of a cool $125 million (€98.5 million), and it’s not even the most expensive on offer - another mega-house in Aspen, Colorado, is now listed at $135 million (€106 million)"

A reluctance to foreclose would put bank earnings under even more pressure in a downturn. I wonder if short activity is building in Irish bank shares as the signs of a weakening property market are becoming more prevalent.

No its not.

BOI

Shares Short (prior month)[SIZE=-1]3[/SIZE]:19.75K
Shares Short (as of 12-Sep-06)[SIZE=-1]3[/SIZE]:11.82K

AIB

Shares Short (prior month)[SIZE=-1]3[/SIZE]:539.21K
Shares Short (as of 12-Sep-06)[SIZE=-1]3[/SIZE]:518.50K

Data from US, but indictive of trends, shorts covering actually, shares are near all time high, no fear in investors yet.
shorts on these stocks are tiny compare to float anyway.

Shorts near highs can fuel further rally when they cover.

If there is any truth to the risk in irish banking sector these trends will reverse in no time.

A reluctance to foreclose would put bank earnings under even more pressure in a downturn. I wonder if short activity is building in Irish bank shares as the signs of a weakening property market are becoming more prevalent.

Some American hedge funds have begun shorting Anglo Irish if I remember correctly.

I'm sure this attitude might change though if more and more stopped paying. In the main lenders prefer to negotiate...might let you pay interest only, or take a 'holiday' on payments until your finances stabilise.

I've just had a terrible thought - rather than repossess houses, the banks will start offering negative amortisation mortgages!!:eek:

.... In either scenario they can't lose. If they have to repossess and it takes 2 years, presumably they are paying for the money they lent you in the interim period i.e. for the length of time it takes them to actually repossess the house! They get it all back when house is sold of course but I'm sure they'd prefer money in the coffers now rather than later!

When we hit negative equity (esp. with all those 100%ers) there is no can't lose scerario. Banks will be swift to act imo....when the writing on the wall becomes a bit more legible

I hear both these arguments a lot in Ireland as part of "it's different here" pitches. I disagree with both of them.

On the first point, the absolute rate of interest is pretty irrelevant imho. It is all about affordability, not the absolute rate. Yes, UK rates were at 15% at the end of the crash period, but affordability rather than interest rates per se was the problem -affordability was going above 40% of net income. The prices themselves relative to income were lower than we have in Ireland today but because the IR's were so high, the net income percentage was high.

As many commentators have reported, we are now at the limit of affordability in Ireland, even though our base rate is 3.25%. So you could argue we are in a worse position, not a better one.

Second, 120% mortgages were certainly not readily available to everyday punters. 100% mortgages were but IO and other "exotic" forms of financing were not commonplace. BTL was also very rare.

My recollection is that 100%+ mortgages were marketed after the crash so people could "buy" their negative equity and move out of their homes.

Indeed affordability is the KEY, not the interest rates, in worst case currently affordability is 40% net income(in dublin), and thats hitting levels seen in 80's, i saw the affordability graph the other day, so yes we are at the high historic limits, so either prices level off here or incomes rise for any further growth(or else we gonna owershoot historic highs in affordability), provided rates peak is less than 4%.

so if incomes stays constant, and rates go beyond 4, then we are in uncharted teritory, i.e very high risk. currently market doesnt think rates going beyond 4 in this cycle.

Some American hedge funds have begun shorting Anglo Irish if I remember correctly.

i took a lot of cr**p from couple of posters yesterday, now i am showing a lot of patience not to reply to this post.
sorry room305

With their vast stockpiles of cash from Sale-Leasebacks they can afford to buy back shares if there's a significant move downwards...

of course they should be investing the money in the American Dream
[broken link removed]

"The most gargantuan feature, though, is the price tag of a cool $125 million (€98.5 million), and it’s not even the most expensive on offer - another mega-house in Aspen, Colorado, is now listed at $135 million (€106 million)"

Great offers available in Miami, maybe Diarmaid Condo (who wrote the SBP piece) would be interested.

http://housingpanic.blogspot.com/2006/10/psst.html

Last edited:
i took a lot of cr**p from couple of posters yesterday, now i am showing a lot of patience not to reply to this post.
sorry room305

You took crap for starting off a pi$$ing contest by trying to redefine the term "bear".

Go ahead and debate the issue. Holders of opposing opinions don't have to prove their bona-fides.

In other words, attack the message not the postman.

room305 apologies if my previous message sounds like a personal attack,

as i have shown in my previous message short interest has gone down in the last two months, plus if a hedge fund is shorting hardly means anything because someone else was buying those shares.

I think that if anyone thinks that an Irishman or woman will meekly be put out of their homes on the instructions of the agents of 'foreign interests' is either a foreigner or a very, very, very poor student of Irish history. The depth of feeling, the historical resonance imagine it.

The past is a different country... Today, a lot of the new mortgage holders dont know their neighbours, they are in new developemnts. there is no really strong sense of community that will stop/shame other people from buying a reposessed property.... A government may be turfed out of office after the next election but that'll be about it, they can't reduce rates, its out of their control thankfully. o/w rates would be at 1%

Thats if repossessions increase due to rate rises. There are no guarantees that that will happen to the level people are predicting/wishing for....

sorry room305

The Anglo story is from either a Goodbodys or Davys roadshow in New York where hedge funds are obviously reading Fitch reports that say ireland private sector debt means the whole structure is prone to collapse.

See earlier in thread. Also in Davy/ Goodbody/ NCB report this morning they say that BOI and AIB were underpeformers last week in whole 30 banks they cover.

I think irish banks will not show problems until very late as they will not be able to sell mortgage backed debt if foreign banks detect any smell from irish market.

room305 apologies if my previous message sounds like a personal attack,

as i have shown in my previous message short interest has gone down in the last two months, plus if a hedge fund is shorting hardly means anything because someone else was buying those shares.

I never implied a hedge fund holding a short position on an Irish bank meant anything. Indeed it is not necessarily even a play on the Irish property market - Anglo Irish has exposure to property in the US and the UK as well. I was just responding to someone's query about short interest on Irish banks.

As has been pointed out by conor_mc, you took crap from people on the board because you turned up and started demanding to know who was a "real bear" without contributing anything of note to the thread.

By all means join in the debate but stop demanding posters "prove themselves" and avoid engaging in personal attacks. Apology very much accepted.

For what it is worth IMO shorting the bank stocks in Ireland is premature. IMO they will make alot of money for the next 12 months as per the Clarehall and as per ivernius above the party still has alot of punters drinking from the punchbowl.

note i think a soft landing in the US may not be good for Ireland as US rates will stay highish, dollar stay strong and US stay importing from Germany where activity remains strong and hence Euro rates keep rising.

A hard landing in US will lead to weaker interest rates, weaker dollar and ECB stops raising rates as German export led growth stalls. China also slows and oil demand drops some and inflation goes back in the box. this would help the property pyramid here even if some job losses as per ersi

Does these arguments hold ?

Last edited:
Does these arguments hold ?

Pretty much although low oil prices won't be enough to put inflation back in the box. Far too much liquidity in the system. Genuine credit tightening is needed on a global scale.

I doubt we'll get it though.

in worst case currently affordability is 40% net income(in dublin), and thats hitting levels seen in 80's,

Was that 40% of one or two people's incomes in the 80's? If it was one then there was at least the option of the second person taking up some work or at least doing nixers!

A hard landing in US will lead to weaker interest rates, weaker dollar and ECB stops raising rates as German export led growth stalls. China also slows and oil demand drops some and inflation goes back in the box. this would help the property pyramid here even if some job losses as per ersi

We haven't felt the full effect of rising interest rates on the Irish property market yet and it's already in trouble. Interest rate at 3.5% is more than enough to kill the market IMO. Even if rates don't rise next year, falling prices will gather momentum from the effect of rate hikes this year. If the US has a hard landing, this will make the problem even worse here as a result of job losses. As you mentioned, a soft landing in the US will give ECB scope to raise rates further. There is no way out of this unless rates were to drop suddenly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back