Current public sentiment towards the housing market?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,
Arguments taken on board, re a list of falling house prices and the disruption to this thread. Totally understand.
I have created a blog for this at: http://irishhousepricesfalling.blogspot.com/

I'll be back here regularly (keen reader of this thread for a while now) to find examples, and please feel free to add your examples to the blog.

Include a tab for supply so that this can be noted on a weekly basis. Use myhome for stats. The supply side is very important to monitor future prices.

e.g.
Week 9th Oct 2006. Phibs houses for sale Total 52

They say that the irish property and business boom started with packies save against Romania, I wonder will it end with a hammering by Cyprus

there was actually a study done, think it was for a doctorate for yale or lse economics thesis where they were able to show an clear economic link between the fortune of the countires soccer team and the countries economy...i kid you not,

will try and find it somewhere in the attic, kept it for sheer madness.

englan - doing crap....
usa - always were crap.
Italy
germany both improving - so is there economy.

I'm off to invest in the Macedonian and Cypriot stock exchanges then.
Lies, damn lies and statistical correlations !!!!

Very little discussion about yesterdays Sunday Business Post on here. I thought a lot of posters where waiting eagerly for it.

How do people feel about the OECD report which painted a more positive picture than is portrayed here?

Very little discussion about yesterdays Sunday Business Post on here. I thought a lot of posters where waiting eagerly for it.

How do people feel about the OECD report which painted a more positive picture than is portrayed here?

I read that report alright. I was puzzled how they based their argument on the fact that because of forecasted higher immigration levels that the risk of a crash was low. They failed to mention that these jobs were in construction and services and were based on the property boom.

I didn't think it painted a more positive picture. They said that a soft landing is a possibility but that Ireland is still hovering around the danger zone.

People probably didn't comment on it because it said nothing new.

Current public sentiment towards the housing market?

- a vendor or EA (or both) who drop the price of a house are giving their sentiment to the current state of the market - by action not words! By dropping the price their sentiment is that the market is weak.

- also a house price drop also proves that buyers sentiment is changing (as they were not prepared to buy at the higher price).

Therefore, examples of price drops are highly relevant to a debate on public sentiment on the housing market.

I think the SBP article (I assume you mean Nick Leeson's) was little more than a re-hash of the points raised here. There was little new information.

However, I did think their US article was very unbalanced. Every other analyst is quoting the US housing market being in a fair degree of distress, yet the tone of most of their articles (even on Florida!) was that "prices are still going up, even though the market may be a little softer. Now is a great time to get in." Madness.

I think the SBP article (I assume you mean Nick Leeson's) was little more than a re-hash of the points raised here. There was little new information.

Agree however for alot of people it was the first time that they were exposed to the harsh facts...lower yields,higher vacancy,longer lead time for sales,low auction clearance rates..

Collapse of the Irish Housing Market and Steve Stauntons Ireland, Coincidence or related??

Agree however for alot of people it was the first time that they were exposed to the harsh facts...lower yields,higher vacancy,longer lead time for sales,low auction clearance rates..

well, the SBP ran a good few articles, only one of which didn't feel a soft landing was on the cards; that being the one from Leeson, who admits in the article that his skepticism is based on being bitten in the UK in the 80's. Hardly 100% relevant. in the UK in the 80's, 2 things happened which imploded the market, neither of which is happening here:

- interest rates were 14.5 - 15.5%. In our celtic Tiger terms, thats 7 times the interest rate from last year, or 4 times the current. Yet everyone thought propery couldn't lose. Would you take a 100% mortgage at 15%? I doubt it.

- 120% mortgages were commonplace

when it busted, people we so indepted, some just handed their hse keys to their bank

Just looked at that thread €309,000 for a one bed you'd want to be nuts!

That was for a 2 bed - I just confirmed with a phone call, the posters on that thread got confused, and over excited judging by the number of exclamations!!!!!

That was for a 2 bed - I just confirmed with a phone call, the posters on that thread got confused.

Is nuts! I reckon the 1 beds are selling out quicker is because affordability has decreased due to the higher interest rates! It just shows though that people are still doing whatever it takes to get on the property ladder regardless of current economic conditions! I think purchases like these are extremely risky with signs growing of the property bubble bursting.

I read that report alright. I was puzzled how they based their argument on the fact that because of forecasted higher immigration levels that the risk of a crash was low. They failed to mention that these jobs were in construction and services and were based on the property boom.
Exactly. Nearly every single argument against a property crash is based on the fact that;

The economy is bouyant - 25% is construction.
Migrant workers coming to Ireland - to build houses.
The demand for property is still high - 40% from investors.
Interest rates are still historically low - implying that.....

I think the SBP article (I assume you mean Nick Leeson's)

He was referreing to a different article on an OECD report.

Here is Nick Leeson's article:

Irish property market living on borrowed time
[broken link removed]

Having assumed a few risky positions in my life, I would be very wary about investing in the Irish property market - it would represent significant high risk
That's coming from the man whose risk taking caused the collapse of Barings Bank in 1995.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back