Cost of a USB memory stick

Have you written and read back 8GB of data to your drive yet?

I have, althought I primarily use it to watch films which are avi. format through my dvd player.

Why do you ask ie. whether such a deal could be 'trusted' ?

Why do you ask ie. whether such a deal could be 'trusted' ?
Because based on some of the info/links posted earlier some ostensibly 4/8/etc. GB drives are actually bogus ones with much lower capacity. I was just wondering if you had verified that yours is OK. If your's works then why not post a link to the specific eBay seller's shop rather than a search link that could include dodgy offers?

Because based on some of the info/links posted earlier some ostensibly 4/8/etc. GB drives are actually bogus ones with much lower capacity. I was just wondering if you had verified that yours is OK. If your's works then why not post a link to the specific eBay seller's shop rather than a search link that could include dodgy offers?

I have verfied mine as I placed 2 x 3.8GB films onto it no problem. Actually the first seller in that link was who I purchased mine from.

I initally typed in "USB 8GB" and I chose the cheapest / most logistical option, and just typed it again and saw that the seller I purchased from was the same.

More of a coincidence to he honest.

Clubman,

Is GA001 allowed to give the sellers eBay username on here?

Not sure if I am / am not, regardless of the fact, I have actually given a link where it is contained. (for the purpose to show that such a price actually exists)

got a lovely Sandisk (?) one from my local stationary shop recently. 2 GB for €19.99 and it doesn't have a cap that you have to take off and put on again i.e. a losable one. There's a little slot on the body of it that you push and out comes the USB insertion part! Kinda like how a Stanley knife works.

Well I have just taken GA001s lead and bought an 8GB USB drive for £19.99 with free delivery.

Hopefully it will be kosher. But it is PayPal protected anyway and if there is anything wrong then I should not have any major issues getting my money back. Plus the guy is in Birmingham and has good feedback.

Will let you know how it pans out.

I've been through loads of USB memory sticks over the years, constantly running out of memory or losing them etc then I bought a 250GB 'Passport Drive', I know its a bit bigger than a memory stick but it easily fits in a shirt pocket, needs no external power and is a lovely piece of kit.
I got mine for €149 in PC World and I have my entire laptop backed up onto it plus some of my home PC plus a fewmovies, MP3s etc.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/06/western-digital-intros-250gb-passport-hard-drive/

Indeed - each memory/storage format has its own pros and cons but in terms of price per MB/GB a portable 2.5 hard drive would beat the pants off flash "drives" and would not suffer from the same "limited" (albeit limited to 100,000 or thereabouts) number of erase/rewrite cycles issue (which you may never actually hit in practice).

I initally typed in "USB 8GB" and I chose the cheapest / most logistical option, and just typed it again and saw that the seller I purchased from was the same.

More of a coincidence to he honest.

I got one of these during the week too, was posted from Wicklow, so presume it is the same ebay shop we got it from . It was 29.99 for 8Gb including postage and I had it in 3 days. Comes in a handy leather cover too.

Well just to update you all - it looks like I bought a dud !!

The guy sent me an email saying that he was getting it sent out and said to test it and if I have any problems to get back to him before posting feedback as he would sort me out. I immediately worried when I read this as it sounded like someone who has had people complaining in the past.

Well to be fair to him it arrived in 2 days - very quick dispatch.

I tested it and although it is indeed an 8GB drive it is definitely NOT a USB2.0 - more like 1.1 at best.

The transfer rates are INCREDIBLY slow. I have come across this on USB pen drives sold on Ebay before.

As an example, I copied 2 files of 2.72GB in total.
In this new drive it took 22mins
In my old 4GB 'real' drive it took just over 9mins.

So I have just emailed him and took him I want a refund. I will update you on his response.

I am baffled because he has excellent feedback, so I emailed a couple of the people who bought the same drive as me off him to ask if theirs run at normal speeds - I will let you know what they say too.

For the record his username is desmondchui and he operates out of Birmingham. I am a little worried because when I was searching a few days ago he had loads of items for sale, now he has NONE !!

But as I say I am PayPal protected so will get my money one way or the other.
[broken link removed]

Sounds like you were scammed! Why did you change your mind from your first post on this thread?

Sounds like you were scammed! Why did you change your mind from your first post on this thread?

Blind stupidity!!

No, I decided that if it was a real 8GB for £19.99 delivered then it was a good deal. And then I would sell my 4GB one and make a good bit of the money back.

Thats what you get for being greedy, eh!

Anyway, the seller offered PayPal protection up to £500, so PayPal will definitely refund me my money. Its their guarantee. I have availed of this in the past. I still believe that the seller MIGHT get back to me, because I am sure he doesn't want the negative feedback.

Will keep you updated on outcome.

But I will learn and only buy from likes of Play, Amazon, MyMemory etc again.

Back