Cost of a USB memory stick

Marianne S

How much should a 1GB USB memory stick cost? I need one for college. I had one a few years back (can't remeber the brand) but it malfunctioned after a few months, is this a regular occurence with flash drives, which brands are more reliable?

I bought 1 4GB flashdrives on ebay the other day and they cost €29.24 for the two of them when you convert the sterling to euro

They shouldn't 'malfunction' very much, but like everything, it depends on how you treat it. My experience has shown me that it doesn't really matter too much whether you choose a 'Brand X' or a well-known brand. If it comes with a cover to keep the connections free from fluff in your pocket or wherever you store it, then use it.

Its hard to beat ebay but pc world has the 4GB for 29.99 at the moment on sale.

Note that 7DayShop shipping to Ireland is now GBP£7.95 (was £3.95) so it only makes sense for larger orders now.

Should pay no more than €30 for a 8GB one.

Don;t think you'll get an 8GB one for €30 just yet. If so, tell me where so I can get one.

I bought a 4gb one last year at dvd.co.uk for £17.99 inc free delivery to NI. I think there are loads of places doing 4GB now for the same price.

For a 1GB one you should be able to pick it up very cheap as they are sort of too low now for many buyers, and most will be going for 4GB upwards.

I needed a 16GB memory stick a couple of weeks ago and found ebay the best for price. I paid €47.71 which included delivery.

Note that 7DayShop shipping to Ireland is now GBP£7.95 (was £3.95) so it only makes sense for larger orders now.

Yeah, shaggers. I was in the process of ordering a few rechargable batteries when I saw that. Really takes the good out of it.

You do need to be careful with Ebay, a number of memory storage devices sold by unscrupulous sellers are fake, for example see this ebay article:
[broken link removed]
Though not specifically talking about memory sticks it gives an indication of the risks.

Ok, found a similar review specifically on memory sticks:
[broken link removed]

Last edited:
I take it to get an 8gb memory stick for €30 you are buying from the Far East.

Well I'm sorry but I wouldn't take the risk.

I have been using eBay for 8 years and the increase int he amount of people getting scammed over recent months is frightening. I bought a 4gb stick last year and it turned out it was branded as 4gb but it was a 128mb chip on it. Could not get a reply from the seller.

Also a mate of mine recently was scammed out of £800+ on eBay for a laptop.

You need to be very careful on eBay these days, and I don't think I'd buy anything from the Far East again.

I agree with RMCF. I stick to the Power Sellers for any electronic Items and definitely avoid the far east.

€30? Including P&P? And do you mean as a bidder on an auction or as a buyer of a Buy It Now item?
Buy it now option - Don't have time for that bidding lark.

I take it to get an 8gb memory stick for €30 you are buying from the Far East.

Well I'm sorry but I wouldn't take the risk.

I have been using eBay for 8 years and the increase int he amount of people getting scammed over recent months is frightening. I bought a 4gb stick last year and it turned out it was branded as 4gb but it was a 128mb chip on it. Could not get a reply from the seller.

Also a mate of mine recently was scammed out of £800+ on eBay for a laptop.

You need to be very careful on eBay these days, and I don't think I'd buy anything from the Far East again.

Actually it was from Bray, Co. Wicklow, not the Far East. I'v been using E-Bay for 1/2 the time than yourself and have not noticed an increase (although I do not know many people who use it TBH) I have had one bad experience, but it was rectified after the seller refused to co-operate (the item was only €0.01 and P+P was €7.99 - item from Hong-Kong) I said I would report to E-Bay and I received a new item) - it was one of those iTrip like devices.

I have purchased many of those 4GB SD memory cards from E-bay, giving that at the time they were something like €120+ in the shops and they were €40 online, I think I will continue to shop (powersellers / high referrals only) with E-Bay.

In saying that, perhaps the memory stick that I obtained was initially sourced from another E-Bay member ? that I didn't ask the seller.

I just typed in "8GB USB" on E-Bay and received the following results:

[broken link removed]

Back