Cork Hurling Crisis

Some of the hurlers are speaking with Neil Prendevill on 96fm at the moment.

Yes, making interesting listening.
Ger Mc rang in, made a point and hung up.

Its more or less turning into a civil war with a sort of schism brewing. While the public seem to be broading behind the players the various heads on the CCB appear to be against them.

The Cork 08 panel met the clubs tonight in The Maryborough Hotel.. Listed below is a brief synopsis of the meeting....

Players entered to a huge standing ovation. Of the 400plus in attendance, only about 10-20 stayed sitting.
John Gardiner said that the agenda was really up to the clubs, but maybe they'd start with questions from the floor, then talk about clubs' and players' proposals and solutions.

Alan White spoke - explained himself very well in fairness. Said that his information came from an ex-player (non-200, that he asked the CCB if the players could agree to any of the Croke park document. The Executive told him they agreed with all of it except point 2. White said that, as this seemed to confirm what he'd heard, he thought nothing of stating that he'd heard such. At this, he said, the top three officials all feigned surprise, despite the fact that they'd just said much the same thing, and despite the fact that Frank Murphy had at that moment in his briefcase a letter from Gerald McCarthy saying exactly the same thing. Frank later said that he hadn't intended reading out the letter but he may as well now, which he did. White said that had the letter been been read out first that he wouldn't have spoke at all, that he was sorry he had, and he apologised for any confusion or hindrance he'd caused. John Gardiner told him it was alright, and White got considerable unsolicited applause for showing up and for being honest.

The vast majority of the speakers that followed spoke in favour of the players' stance, with only a few urging a return to playing. Most urged them to continue, and urged fellow club folk to continue the fight.

Most of the speakers, it seemed to me, were from Junior clubs and there was incredible anger at the lack of representation, or the absence in a lot of cases. Many intermediate and Senior clubs joined in, again overwhelmingly in favour of the players and anti-CCB

Many speakers stated that their clubs had held EGMs, many more said that EGMs were planned, urging others to follow. One member backed the players but urged them not to suggest EGMs as this would split clubs in two, and got some applause. Another asked why anyone would be in favour of democracy, and insisted that clubs should hold EGMs. This near brought the house down.

At this stage, the meeting seemed to be controlled almost entirely by the clubs. Enough anger had been vented so the next step seemed to be to ask for proposals. Proposals from the floor included holding an annual such meeting of all club people (warm applause), suggesting further dialogue (muted response), that the 'kids' should go home and talk to their parents (a lot of rage and an indignant response from Cathal Naughton that he found the suggestion insulting and that, besides, if he went home and told his parents that he was going to play under Gerald Mc that he wouldn't wake up in the morning). Most though were curious as to what the players were proposing, so Gardiner read out their two suggested motions for clubs to consider within their clubs and act upon if they saw fit (these will be in the papers, but I'll give them to ye as best I can):-

1) Save in relation to routine matters such as fixtures, venues etc that delegates to the CCB do not vote on any matter without having time to talk to their clubs' Executives as to how they should vote (requires 70/30 majority)

and

2) That Gerald McCarthy and his management team resign as the 2009 Senior Hurling Management Team (requires 51/49 majority)

There seemed little doubt that both votes would have carried comfortably had they been put to the room, and the discussion that followed mirrored that.

At that stage the meeting was, as the players thought, winding to a close. However some member intervened strongly and suggested two further actions for the night.

Firstly, that the members go back and talk to their clubs, and that a follow-up meeting be called. The players hadn't seemed to have bargained on this but said they were available whenever suited. It was fixed for Sunday the 8th March.

Secondly there was a fear that the huge turnout, the spread of the attendance throughout the grades, and the overwhelming support might not be credited or recorded. A roll-call of the clubs present, and their grades was proposed, and quickly agreed upon. This was done. I couldn't put an exact number on it, of course, but clearly the vast majority of clubs were present, which led to the obvious conclusion that the vast majority of clubs are now pro-the-players and Anti-CCB.

Nearly there now!

Only fair to say that the meeting was extremely decorous, and that all members were allowed time to finish their questions/comments. Those in the minority had their say, and I was proud to be a part of such a dignified meeting held in such controversial times.

Finally, I hope everyone believes me when I say that I've been as honest as I can be, and I've tried to report it free of spin. I'll think of more, I'm sure, but that will have to wait until the morning. I'll finish with what seemed to be a consensus of actions among the clubs

1) Those clubs that haven't already to set the wheels in motion to call EGMs as soon as the constraints within the rule-book will allow
2) Clubs to discuss both motions, and gain a consensus
3) Meet players again on Sunday the 8th March

I suppose the proof of the pudding will be whether:

a) all the egm's happen
b) the motions get carried
c) the delegates (some prob against) will carry successful motions to the CCB and vote as mandated (presumably) by their clubs.
Sombrero man and all this clap happy stuff isnt the business, if you have the support then prove it where it counts.

I have sympathy for McCarthy & am generally anti GPA or players overstepping their remit. I'm all for minding layers but where is the GPA on player burnout, coherent club championships etc. etc. The "elite" factor has gone to the heads of many players IMHO, they want more and more and better and better, such will be the demands of all this professionalism that, hey, they'll have to be made professional. I'd rather if their focus was on curtailing lunatic training demands on inter-county players, giving oxygen back to the club scene over the summer etc, but that doesnt gel with the elite bit.

Anyway, back to relevant matters, if they are going to create such a fuss why dont they go for the juggular, and try to get rid of Frank Murphy or get agreement for maximum tenure for any official. If ultimately successful in the crucifiction of McCarthy it will be a hallow victory.

They say they dont want the right to appoint the manager? If not then make the best of the one you have, or take on the board and not the man if that is the real problem.

I gather they'd prefer to do a Goodfella's on it - Donal Og could do the Joe Pesci role !! Seriously though, with all the whingeing going on do players really think that McCarthy exiting is going to fundamentally change anything? Why wouldnt the CCB get another "yes man" (if that's how you view McCarthy) by outvoting the 2 players on the selction panel of 5.

Regime change is really what the players want (& probably loads more) so if they're not bould enough to look for it they'll never get it.

Was watching prime time, ger lane said the county board were democratic and so on. Then i hear the chairman one hour later saying they will not discuss anything else in relation to the current hurling crisis! Surely all they should be discussing is the hurling crisis!

Yeah Sean Óg should avoid Béal na Blath - they like to shoot their own down there...
West Cork might save the day yet!

Big democratic meeting of clubs, delegates etc. in Clonakilty next Friday night.

And full discussion will be allowed. Won't that make a nice change? :D

The main website forum in Cork where most of the posters were organising another protest in Pairc Ui Chaoimh next Sunday was served with an injunction last night by solicitors acting for the CCB so it is presently off the air.

The war is hotting up!!!!

No, peoplesrepublicofcork.com

RebelGAA were not involved in the organisation of the march last month or in the one next Sunday but they didn't block any posts advertising it.

However, some of the main posters on peoplesrepublic were heavily involved in the organisation of the first march and in the fortcoming one. Accounts set up for funding advertising, banners etc...

This is a big blow.

tis great soap opera, I'm impressed that the players have managed to rally the clubs in an official way and I presume this will represent itself at the appropriate forum of the CCB ...still dont agree with them though re McCarthy/the players picking the manager.

Any further demands arising?? A lost opportunity if the only outcome is McCarthy going, is Frankie in the cross hair yet?, are CCB procedures going to be reformed or applied more fairly?

The main website forum in Cork where most of the posters were organising another protest in Pairc Ui Chaoimh next Sunday was served with an injunction last night by solicitors acting for the CCB so it is presently off the air.

Seriously, you are all freaks down there!

tis great soap opera, I'm impressed that the players have managed to rally the clubs in an official way and I presume this will represent itself at the appropriate forum of the CCB ...still dont agree with them though re McCarthy/the players picking the manager.

Any further demands arising?? A lost opportunity if the only outcome is McCarthy going, is Frankie in the cross hair yet?, are CCB procedures going to be reformed or applied more fairly?

Betsy Og, the end is nigh for the CCB Executive. All clubs that have met in advance of the next meeting with the players in the Maryborough Hotel on Sunday have overwhelmingly backed the players in there votes. A lot of clubs that are pro CCB have refused to take a vote but the members are going through correct procedures to ensure that it will happen.

A big victory for the players (and democracy) was the over whelming support they got from the Youghal club (incoming GAA President Christy Cooneys club) despite his brother trying to bring in a vote of confidence in Ger Mc.

Nicky Brennan has called a meeting tonight to discuss the Cork issue which is seen as undermining the CCB.

Clonakilty GAA Club have called a meeting on Friday night of all GAA Clubs in Cork to discuss the present situation despite being told by the CCB Executive that "it has no standing in CCB rules". This is a de facto uprising against the CCB by the clubs.

On Sunday, Cork Supporters are marching to Pairc Ui Chaoimh for the Cork V Fermanagh football game to show support for the hurlers on strike and the footballers who threaten strike before championship. A month ago when between 10 and 12 thousand supporters marched through Cork City they were dismissed as "shoppers" by the CCB. They will find that hard to do on Sunday in front of newspaper reporters, RTE radio reporters and RTE TV cameras.
Last Sunday, a mere 600 turned out to support Ger Mc and the CCB 'development' squad. There will be in excess of 10,000 at the game next Sunday, all calling for the heads of the CCB Executive and especially Frank Murphys. However, there is a fear amoung the protesters that they will be locked out of the ground, or that the CCB will only open one gate and cause a crush outside. Therefore, organisers have informed Gardai in Cork of the big numbers expected so that they will imposed safety procedures on the CCB ahead of Sunday. Remember, Pairc Ui Chaoimh is a safety nightmare at the best of times.

On Sunday night again club chairmen will meet the players ahead of the next CCB meeting on Tuesday night.

The feeling in Cork is that revolution is in the air. When the hurlers went on strike last October I would say they had the support of 40% of the GAA going Cork public. But in recent weeks it has snowballed and turned into an avalanche, supported by the clubs, GAA Supporters, media in Cork and also the Cork public in general. This I believe was due to the 1950s attitude of the CCB went using the terms "We rule Cork GAA and thats it" "We are the law here" and the worst of all "The Club meeting have no standing" which really alienated the clubs.

The CCB and Frank Murphy have now lost support of almost everyone in Cork (and in GAA Headquarters, judging by tonights meeting called by Nicky Brennan) and I believe it is only a matter of time before they are swept away.

Irish Times today (written by John Allen, former Cork manager)

Pray democracy is finally coming to the Cork GAA
Thu, Mar 05, 2009

The players group have made a brave stand and are leading the way. They deserve the support of every follower and club that value the truth, writes JOHN ALLEN

THE LAST time I wrote on the topic of the striking Cork hurlers I finished with what might now be a very telling sentence, “Maybe a proper revolution is needed this time”. This revolution has been needed for years but no individual or group has been brave or maybe foolish enough to attempt change in the Cork GAA board.

The older members of the group of striking players were never on for settling for second best and at the end of 2002, after a very bitter stand-off with the board, they brought about a change in, to use a topical term, terms and conditions which helped smooth the way to a period of high achievement over the following four years.

These were special years for the very loyal Rebel supporters. A new generation of Cork follower began to acknowledge the beauty, grace, skill and speed of this wonderful Irish game.

The players blossomed and gave some outstanding displays. For all those lucky enough to be involved, these were the “days of our lives”. The performances, victories and losses (even) were much appreciated by the very enthusiastic support that travelled in their thousands – with or without tickets.

Who will ever forget the scramble for tickets before the Munster finals? Who will forget the delays getting to Killarney in ’04 or that legend Brian Corcoran putting the final nail in the Kilkenny coffin, while on his knees that same year?

The loss to the Déise in that year’s Munster final epic will long stay in the memory, as will the resurrection against Clare in the ’05 All-Ireland semi or the wonderful save from above the crossbar by Dónal Óg in the following year’s semi-final. Yes, these were the days of our lives.

From the first post-strike session with the players on a bitterly cold January 2003 morning it was very obvious that, while manager Dónal O Grady was a strict disciplinarian, he was also very sensitive to the players’ needs. Let me also add there were never any outrageous demands.

I’ve been lucky enough to have been involved with many successful teams over the past 30 years but this group of hurlers, in my opinion, ticked all the boxes. They are diligent, hard working and people of honour. Whatever needed to be done to play and win for Cork was always the priority. They are the most self-motivated group you’re ever likely too meet.

They treated all in the management with the utmost respect, a respect that was reciprocated. The group worked well together and enjoyed four quite successful years even though Kilkenny did undo our three-in-a-row dream.

At various times the rumour and innuendo mill carried stories of the players running affairs in 2005/’06 and this was part of the reason they couldn’t buy into the new regime of Gerald McCarthy .

Yes, the players were given an input into the tactics for the championship games. Yes, Dónal Óg had an input into the plans for the pucks out (after all he did take these very important free pucks). Yes, we were always sensitive to player concerns.

No, the players never had any input into who was on the panel. No, the players never had any input into team selections. No the players never had any input into changes made on match days. No the players hadn’t any input into the training drills, either devising or executing them.

So how did it all come unstuck?

Well, the decision not to continue with members of the previous management for season ’07 was the beginning of what now looks like the end. That has been well documented as has the next major stand-off last winter.

But here we are again in a similar position. I’ve already laid the blame at the board executive’s door. It’s still lying there though, unacknowledged.

They, the board executive, five in number, sat down with the players, two in number, to decide on who would wear the mantle of Cork senior hurling manager for 2009. The five, who must have known all wasn’t well in the camp over the previous two years, decided the previous incumbent would be contacted to ascertain his further interest in the post. Having received a positive response the five decided his name would be top of a list of potential candidates. He would then be offered the post and if he accepted (which they knew he would) then the job was his. Now I know there were five meetings but that is the essence of what took place, as far as I’m aware.

In other words there was no point in the players nominating candidates. In fact, with the total lack of courtesy and respect shown to the same players, the meetings were a waste of time and an insult to the people of integrity representing the players.

All that has been played out in the media since is a result of that decision to totally disregard the wishes of the players. This split in Cork GAA is the board’s legacy. They have engineered this crisis and nurtured it.

McCarthy, the 30 Cork players and the development squad have come in for scathing comment from all quarters. Did the board learn any lessons from last year’s stand-off? Obviously not.

I’ve said before I don’t think the players should have any representative on the committee which chooses the manager. Of course their wishes should be considered – as is done in most clubs and counties.

Are the board executive, now, going to preside over this Pyrrhic victory and feel democracy was upheld to the letter of the law? What is democratic about not allowing any other candidate be interviewed for the job? Why were the board delegates not made aware the players’ representatives had a major problem with the reappointment of Gerald McCarthy? What was the point in having two players’ reps on the committee if the strongly held wishes and opinions of the squad they represented would be totally ignored?

But maybe the tide is beginning to turn. The clubs of the county might be about to take back the power which they have been without for many years now.

It’s gone on long enough. The charade has to stop. We’ve waited long enough for a solution. The board executive is responsible for this calamity but Gerald McCarthy is the fall guy.

This is not about player power. It’s about integrity, honesty, truth and transparency. Sadly these now don’t exist between the players and the executive. Gerald McCarthy has been used. He has lost the dressingroom and cannot hope to succeed with a team who don’t want to play for him.

The revolution is gathering momentum. The malaise that is eating away at board level needs to be addressed before it does any further damage. The ’08 players group have made a very brave stand and are leading the way. They deserve the support of every follower and club that value the truth. Gandhi said: “Almost anything you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it.”

The time for change for the better is now.

© 2009 The Irish Times

The easy way to rid ourselvesof this Cork hurling fiasco, is to rid ourselves of Cork. They're a self proclaimed Peoples Republic of Cork, so let them have it as they want. Simply cut Cork off from the rest of the country and let them drift out to sea. Would solve more problems than just the hurling, less people for the country to support, less PS workers etc. I think it's a great idea....... ;)

Back