Corbyn suspended

That's a bit harsh on the greatest (and only!) Labour PM in recent history.

Blair will of course be remembered as the UK PM who finished the work started by Gladstone and, with Clinton and Ahearn, brought peace to Northern Ireland. Furthermore, he (with Clinton) persuaded NATO to bomb Serbia in 1999 to stop ethnic cleansing in Kosovo and Bosnia (while the EU stood aside); sent UK troops to Sierra Leone to prevent a civil war; and participated in the US attack against Al Qaeda in Afghanistan. All clearly ethically justified.

The intervention in Sierra Leone would appear to have been an unqualified success. In Kosovo and Bosnia less so in my opinion, but undoubtedly the people of the Balkans are better off now than if Mikosevic had been allowed to go on unchecked. I think Blair came to a naive belief in his own powers after this which lead him to the quagmire that was Iraq.
As for the US intervention in Afghanistan, while the initial intervention was certainly justified, the disaster the followed nullifies that in my opinion. Had they just overthrown the Taliban and gone home.

The bigger issue here is the battle within Labour between the ideologues and the realists.
Exactly. And Corbyns expulsion shows the Starmer leadership to have a similar ideological intolerance of anyone with a different view.

Exactly. And Corbyns expulsion shows the Starmer leadership to have a similar ideological intolerance of anyone with a different view.
I think they have to do whatever they have to in order to make themselves electable again. Corbyn won the election for the Conservatives last time.

I do think he is anti semitic though

That is of course your perogative to think this, although I'm not sure what has happened between now and a few hours ago where you stated that you didn't know if he was or not anti-semitic.

Suffice to say, there has been no such formal accusation, investigation or finding against Corbyn to this effect. Nor will there ever be as it would be demolished without question under any type of scrutiny.

Yes, partially.

I agree, except , totally politically motivated. It makes a mockery of Stamers position to uphold the EHRC report, which found against the Labour Party for political interference in disciplinary procedures to then suspend Corbyn in this way.

But it supports your earlier contention, which I agree, that it is the power struggle between factions within the party that is the underlying bigger issue.
Anti-semitism, while a serious issue not to be tolerated, the extent of the problem was dramatically overstated for political purposes as you have mentioned, namely ideology and (perceived) electability.

I don't think Corbyn is anti-Semitic but he showed what a poor politician he is when he decided to mock the report by an independent body and claim it was making a mountain out of a molehill. He himself wasn't found "guilty" in the report and he should have emphasised that.

but he showed what a poor politician he is when he decided to mock the report by an independent body and claim it was making a mountain out of a molehill
I think it's a case of arrogance and ego over good sense and judgement.

he decided to mock the report by an independent body and claim it was making a mountain out of a molehill

He didn't mock the report, or dispute its findings.
He stated the matter was dramatically overstated by political opponents and the media. If you read the report it becomes quite apparent that this is the case.
The antisemitism affair, while not to be tolerated, relates to less than 0.03% of its members.

The current deputy leader, Angela Rayners agrees.
Corbyn is suspended for this view, Rayner not.

There were 2 charges of breaching the Equality Acts. One against Ken Livingstone for his remarks and behaviour, the other for failing to deal adequately with complaints.

Other than that, most of the incidents relate to dumb dog-whistling FB pages and Twitter tweets of memes of Rothschild conspiracy, global Jewish conspiracy stuff or the likes of Alan Sugar posting memes of Corbyn travelling with Hitler by car to Nuremberg to try reinforce the antisemitism smear. Pretty juvenile in the round.

Some of it was more sinister, holocaust denial, destruction of Israel etc, but in the main Corbyn is right when he says it has been dramatically overstated, and deputy leader Rayner agrees.

It was over-stated in totality but the many individuals who were hounded out of the party with no real intervention from head office to stop it would disagree. In any event a clever politician would have stated that s/he accepted the findings and would take some time to absorb them before responding. He was told by Starmer to do so, he decided not to and forced the Labour party to suspend him. It showed his pig-headedness and stupidity.

British Labour Party in turmoil. This Stamer chap is a surely a ploy to destroy the Labour Party from the inside?

British Labour Party in turmoil. This Stamer chap is a surely a ploy to destroy the Labour Party from the inside?
Another one?
I don't think he'll be as good as Corbyn was a wrecking the party but you never know.
It's a but like FF electing Martin; an indication of just how poor the field is.

The problem in England is that the Tory's have harnessed Nationalism and that is built on emotion. In any mass contest between emption and reason the latter always wins.

I don't think he'll be as good as Corbyn was a wrecking the party but you never know

Corbyn brought the Labour Party to its highest polling in years. It was the exaggerated anti-semitic smear campaign (which appears to have magically evaporated) construed by the parliamentary party and constant efforts to undermine him that brought the Labour party into turmoil.
Admittedly his handling of the Brexit position was a shambles.

In any case, this Stamer chap has made no in-roads into restoring support for the party and by the looks of it, his sacking of Angela Raynor, is set to deepen the divisions within the party.

Back