Corbyn suspended

Corbyn brought the Labour Party to its highest polling in years. It was the exaggerated anti-semitic smear campaign (which appears to have magically evaporated) construed by the parliamentary party and constant efforts to undermine him that brought the Labour party into turmoil.
Admittedly his handling of the Brexit position was a shambles.

In any case, this Stamer chap has made no in-roads into restoring support for the party and by the looks of it, his sacking of Angela Raynor, is set to deepen the divisions within the party.
Labour has to decide if they want to be a Union mouthpiece with a rump of ideologically aligned left to far left supporters or a centre-left party which can win elections. Corbyn was firmly in the former camp. He is also a nasty person so people find it hard to work with him.

I don't really see it so much as Labour lost as that Boris has proved immensely popular in England. He has delivered Brexit and even Remoaners now see that Project Fear was just Y2K revisited. His Covid strategy after a shaky start is also a big winner especially as its superior performance versus EU countries seems to be a first big win for Brexit. I doubt Gove would have delivered this success.
As for Dominic Cunning his little kiss and tell has severely backfired. I struggled myself to see the scandal in a PM doing up Downing Street (which he will never own) and using, not taxpayers' money, but money from Tory donors. Technically in breach I am sure, but Berlusconi it ain't.
@WolfeTone I don't think Sir Keith has a stam(m)er but neither do I think he is a star :)

Last edited:
He is also a nasty person so people find it hard to work with him.
I've never heard that description of him before, he has always come across to me as someone dedicated to prioritising the welfare and rights of marginalised, discriminated people to the forefront of politics. I always considered him a decent person.

In any case, he is history now with regard to future of Labour Party prospects.
Centre-left is making little traction with the British electorate right now.
Starmer :oops: is "taking full responsibility" for Labours continuing benign appeal by sacking Centre-left chairperson Raynor.

Starmer :oops: is "taking full responsibility" for Labours continuing benign appeal by sacking Centre-left chairperson Raynor
I'd hardly call a former Shop Stewart who wants to massively expand the public sector as "Centre Left" but I suppose for those who are further to the left she's closer to the Centre.

I'd hardly call a former Shop Stewart who wants to massively expand the public sector as "Centre Left" but I suppose for those who are further to the left she's closer to the Centre.

Yes, I suppose it is all about perspective. It is hard to imagine what centre-left is if it isn't, at some level base level, about protecting workers interests and advancing adequate public services.

Yes, I suppose it is all about perspective. It is hard to imagine what centre-left is if it isn't, at some level base level, about protecting workers interests and advancing adequate public services.
I agree. Those who are ideologically attached to 100 year old structures which no longer do those things are not, in my opinion, centre-anything.

I agree. Those who are ideologically attached to 100 year old structures which no longer do those things are not, in my opinion, centre-anything.

I didn't know that she was attached to 100yr old structures? I dont know what they are. She describes herself as 'soft-left'.
She certainly showed that when she sided against Corbyn in the anti-semitism debacle despite agreeing with Corbyns assessment that the whole thing was completely exaggerated.

His suspension itself is perhaps only a small thing, but what it tells us about Starmer's leadership of the party is hugely significant. Starmer was supposed to be the adult in the room, but this suspension is a very ominous sign.
Starmers attempted sidelining of Angela Rayner was a further ominous sign. Now that Jeremy is no longer around he tries to blame is deputy for his troubles.

Her subsequent resistance to this sidelining just makes he look weak as well as mean.

I don't really see it so much as Labour lost as that Boris has proved immensely popular in England. He has delivered Brexit and even Remoaners now see that Project Fear was just Y2K revisited. His Covid strategy after a shaky start is also a big winner especially as its superior performance versus EU countries seems to be a first big win for Brexit. I doubt Gove would have delivered this success.
As for Dominic Cunning his little kiss and tell has severely backfired. I struggled myself to see the scandal in a PM doing up Downing Street (which he will never own) and using, not taxpayers' money, but money from Tory donors. Technically in breach I am sure, but Berlusconi it ain't.
@WolfeTone I don't think Sir Keith has a stam(m)er but neither do I think he is a star :)
While I don't agree with any of this, I think it exactly summarises the opinions of the 50%+ of English people who currently support Johnson.

While I don't agree with any of this, I think it exactly summarises the opinions of the 50%+ of English people who currently support Johnson.
I am reading this that you agree with me, that Bojo won because of his popularity in England, for the reasons I stated, and not because Starmer is a loser but that you don't agree with those reasons.
My own opinions as opposed to my assessment of Alf Garnet's opinions are:
Project Fear has been somewhat exposed
The EU have been seriously outpointed on the vacc roll out by the UK
The DC revelations are pathetic attempts at revenge

Project Fear has been somewhat exposed
It is early days yet, and the reality so far is obscured by COVID but I think that UK exports to the EU are well down and recruitment problems with EU workers are real.

The EU have been seriously outpointed on the vacc roll out by the UK
In terms of numbers vaccinated this is true. However vaccines produced in the EU have been exported to the UK on a very significant scale, while there have been no exports of vaccine from the UK to the EU. The EU could have prohibited manufacturers exporting vaccine until its own needs were met. That it chose not to is significant.

The DC revelations are pathetic attempts at revenge
I assume that you mean the decorating costs issue. Well I always admired Charlie Haughey.

More seriously the COVID related contracts issued to the well connected with no proper procurement is vast in scale, truly vast, and while the urgency of the situation may have justified a reduced procurement process, there seems to me a genuine scandal in this.

In terms of numbers vaccinated this is true. However vaccines produced in the EU have been exported to the UK on a very significant scale, while there have been no exports of vaccine from the UK to the EU. The EU could have prohibited manufacturers exporting vaccine until its own needs were met. That it chose not to is significant.
EU vaccine production would have ground to a halt without essential components sourced from the UK.
Export bans between the EU and UK would have made no sense, and it's a red herring to talk about the UK export ban without counting how many EU vaccines were made with components made from the UK that could not have been sourced within the EU.
These are rare components not easily sourced e.g. the lipid nanoparticles needed in mRNA vaccines.
The EU could not have prohibited manufacturers exporting vaccines to the UK unless it wanted to cut off its nose to spite its face.

Back